• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, Azure Lion said:

For those who are impatient, if you need to hurry on something, then might I ask that you hurry up and wait.

Plans do not usually go as planned.

Personally, I am amazed at how quickly and efficiently the eSims team is at maintaining and updating their amazingly wonderful product that is known as Steel Beasts, all while still taking the time to hear and respond to the requests of those of us in the Personal Edition bracket of customers.

As much as Nils and his team does for the Personal Edition owners, I feel the last thing we should do is complain or try to rush things, and instead be grateful not only for all that has been done, but also the fact that we are even allowed to have access to a Personal Edition version of the software.

Thus, I ask that we do our best to support the eSims team in their amazing efforts and try our best to be patient, understanding, and courteous.

If your plan is working right...You are walking into an ambush...

On 5/13/2018 at 9:59 PM, Ssnake said:

In about 17 hours we'll be demonstrating it live at the annual Steel Beasts Conference for our uniformed customers.

Can we , aka "meager civilian plebs customers" also see this new tech? Or everything is under cloak of secret for now?

I wouldnt mind few videos showing progress as we used to have them a while ago.

The issue there is that not everything in the military version makes it into the commercial one.

Similarly, depending on contracts, not everything in the Australian one is in the (insert other country name here) one.

There were some pictures in the ITEC '18 post - search is your friend.

• Members

The earthmover demo as such isn't very spectacular, except for the fact that it illustrates what the new engine can do. You set a vehicle emplacement just like you know it from the construction of concertina wire obstacles right now, then you "activate" it for construction, and an earthmoving-capable vehicle will move the the location, then drive back and forth while the hole gets deeper and deeper. That's basically it.

The more interesting part is now to get the timings right so that, depending on the terrain hardness, we get variable construction times that are either realistic, or not realistic at all; even in a 90 minute TGIF session you probably don't want to wait 40 minutes for a single emplacement to be dug, even if that may be realistic. So we will then also need to think about ways to cut it down in a way that you won't have to wait forever (but at the same time we don't want people to "spam" a network session with dozens or hundreds of emplacements).

Eventually I'll make a video of it, when it looks a bit more pretty.

1 hour ago, BigBadVuk said:

Can we , aka "meager civilian plebs customers" also see this new tech? Or everything is under cloak of secret for now?

I wouldnt mind few videos showing progress as we used to have them a while ago.

Alternative viewpoint:

For the lack of want, I would prefer not to even see Pro version features.

I played Pro last year. So many good feaures that I think would be amazing to see in the PE version , that we will never see.

So better off not even knowing them.

right. knowing it's a curse. we say that knowledge is power and this sort of thing, there is always a pricetag that comes with it, and people don't really consider there should be warnings that come with it. we've heard it in some sense- curiosity killed the cat, but generally knowing isn't the same as improving your situation.

when i watch these documentaries and read articles about uncontacted tribes, often times these explorers and scientists and researchers they introduce envy and want where it didn't exist before because these people get exposed to technologies which look like magic to them- just like the film the gods must be crazy, the genesis adam and eve story where they have it all, they do not suffer from deprivation and want, and just the hint of something new starts the whole process into decay i suppose.

having said that, what i would really like to see are the possibilities of transformable terrain, and/or infantry trenches. while i can't and don't speak for eSim, i would bet that would be a good chance at least some form of that should make it into a common feature for all customers.

6 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The more interesting part is now to get the timings right so that, depending on the terrain hardness, we get variable construction times that are either realistic, or not realistic at all; even in a 90 minute TGIF session you probably don't want to wait 40 minutes for a single emplacement to be dug, even if that may be realistic. So we will then also need to think about ways to cut it down in a way that you won't have to wait forever (but at the same time we don't want people to "spam" a network session with dozens or hundreds of emplacements).

The old 'Just enough, but not too much" dilemma :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

May i ask a question to Ssnake, just to be sure.

If i buy the full license now, will i have to buy the upgrade next year if this update comes?
I mean with that heavy upgrade maybe the version will go to 5.0

(And sorry if the question dont belong here)

Edited by Booker