ETA on terrain patch?

Nercon

• Members

The version will be called 4.x (whatever "x" may turn out to be at the time, somewhere between "133" and "500"), not 5.0.

Yes, it will be an upgrade. It is undecided at this point how much we're going to charge for it. The exact release date is undecided. Once that we know, we will discount the price of the currently sold version 4.0 by a similar amount so that there is no deterrence to buy early.

Yes, if you buy it today, you will end up paying marginally more, but we have to draw the line somewhere.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, inexus said:

I paid for the latest version as the landscape upgrade was supposed to be included in it.

Now I have to pay again to get what I already paid for?

If 4.0 was only bought for the new-terrain, then this can be seen as a letdown i suppose?

Much happened in the last year(s), the next upgrade will include a ton more then the new terrain.

It is an odd move to reduce the price of the current v4 to entice people to buy the new version coming up. That is honestly just completely ignoring people who paid full price already. 

The price should be reduced on the new release for existing v4 customers to compensate us. 

10 minutes ago, inexus said:

It is an odd move to reduce the price of the current v4 to entice people to buy the new version coming up. That is honestly just completely ignoring people who paid full price already.

Usually the idea is so that people pay no more.

If you buy it say a month prior to the upgrade it might be US$100 (number used just for simplicity - I have no idea if that is the "right" amount).

Then the upgrade is released for say US$25 (again an arbitrary figure).

Therefore you'd pay: $100 + $25 = $125

Someone who didn't own a previous copy and just bought the new one would also pay $125.

The underlying approach being along the lines of "there is an upgrade coming so we'll discount the purchase price so you are no worse off".

The alternative is a scenario where someone buys it the days before release for $125 and then is required to pay $25 for the upgrade anyway.

Those people could rightly complain that they have paid $150 compared to someone who bought the "new" version a day later for $125.

Edited by Gibsonm

1 hour ago, inexus said:

The price should be reduced on the new release for existing v4 customers to compensate us. 

Dont worry, its not compulsory- you dont have to buy it  if you think the price is unreasonable or unfair or whatever.

• Members

Yes, that was the plan. And we had every intent of fulfilling it. But first we discovered at only a relatively late stage that we had to redesign large parts of the file handling, which we expected to take six months (it was more like a year, as it turned out). This in turn made us miss a window of opportunity where we could have released it. After that point we had a number of contractual obligations to fulfill which absorbed so much of our capacity that we couldn't have managed a simultaneous release of a PE update.

As a result of the number of development contracts that we had to deliver in the meantime, and the ongoing general development process, so many changes have accumulated that we can no longer separate the high resolution terrain from all the other feature updates that are interwoven with the terrain.

Rest assured, we will calculate the price for the upgrade by considering all feature improvements except for the high res terrain to make up for this. At the end of the day, Q1/2019 is already two and a half years after the release of 4.0, and our goal is to release a major upgrade every 18...24 months. So, an upgrade is overdue.

Thank you Ssnake. Fully understandable and I appreciate your detailed explanation, that´s very kind of you in doing so.  Hope this helps others understand the change in plans aswell.  Will just wait for the new year to move in to a new "garden" :) <S>

Edited by Red2112
spelling

• 2 weeks later...
On 25.9.2018 at 11:54 PM, inexus said:

I paid for the latest version as the landscape upgrade was supposed to be included in it.

Just my statement:

This was the main reason for me aswell. Then i waited, waited and waited.. 

I know/read the reasons for that. Nevertheless i`m disappointed.

On 25/09/2018 at 11:54 PM, inexus said:

Did you pay 25$ just for the landscape upgrade you don't know anything about?

I didn't. I paid for the whole lot included in 4.0, that is tons of new vehicles, lot of them crewable (T-55 :x), and lot of other cool new features! Check out the release notes, that is what you paid for!

http://www.steelbeasts.com/updates/SBProPE_4-0_RN.pdf

Is the landscape upgrade such a big deal to you?

In the next version, you might have so much more than the landscape upgrade, well worth 25$ to me (if same price).

Just my 2 cents..

• Members

I can certainly relate to the disappointment. At the same time I have to look at the practicalities of a rollout. The best compromise that I can offer is that the next upgrade will be reduced in price, and will contain a lot more than just the new terrain engine. We did a bit more in the last two years than to redesign the file handling. :)

> will contain a lot more than just the new terrain engine. We did a bit more in the last two years than to redesign the file handling.
>

Hi Ssnake. Pray tell, what is the "lot more" stuff which is apart from the file handling?

Edited by frankiekam

18 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I can certainly relate to the disappointment. At the same time I have to look at the practocalities of a rollout. The best compromise that I can offer is that the next upgrade will be reduced in price, and will contain a lot more than just the new terrain engine. We did a bit more in the last two years than to redesign the file handling. :)

Ssnake,

Do you think requierements of the next version will be similar to that of 4.0?

I am thinking about getting a new computer which I think runs 4.0 quite smoothly (with GeForce GTX 1060) 

Thank you! :)

• Members
13 hours ago, BlackDeath said:

Do you think requierements of the next version will be similar to that of 4.0?

I am thinking about getting a new computer which I think runs 4.0 quite smoothly (with GeForce GTX 1060) 

I'm pretty certain about "similar requirements", yes.

Most of the "costs" of the new engine are already in 4.0 (that's why you have a lower frame rate than in 3.0); one of the activities we invested in was to make 4.1 perform with higher frame rates.

• Members
17 hours ago, frankiekam said:

Pray tell, what is the "lot more" stuff which is apart from the file handling?

The final decision hasn't been made yet, so I'll refrain from going into detail until we know for certain what we're going to release, and when. At that point, following eSim traditions, there will be a near-full disclosure of new features (leaving a few extras for you to discover after purchase).

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I'm pretty certain about "similar requirements", yes.

Most of the "costs" of the new engine are already in 4.0 (that's why you have a lower frame rate than in 3.0); one of the activities we invested in was to make 4.1 perform with higher frame rates.

OK,  perfect, thank you :)!

On 11.10.2018 at 12:50 AM, Ssnake said:

I can certainly relate to the disappointment. At the same time I have to look at the practocalities of a rollout. The best compromise that I can offer is that the next upgrade will be reduced in price, and will contain a lot more than just the new terrain engine. We did a bit more in the last two years than to redesign the file handling. :)

I´m really looking forward to the next release!

• On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, inexus said:

we all did, but stuff happens.  I don't complain because even up to now I have never been disappointed with any of the  paid releases that came out.  So if I have to pay for the next upgrade to come out with it, then so be it.   Ssnake already said he was going to try to reduce the price of the next upgade, so why cant anyone be happy with that?

Edited by RENEGADE-623

Its not like the only thing in the next upgrade is the Terrain.

If it were then you might have grounds for complaint.

As it is the upgrade fee covers the Terrain update (AIUI delayed to ensure it was done properly) + a host of other "stuff" which is most likley worth the fee anyway.

The alternative is that you would have paid for the previous upgrade, received a poorly engineered / rushed version of the new terrain "on time", complain about it / put up with it for 18 months and then in this upgrade get the scheduled other "stuff" and a likely fix to the imature Terrain update to ensure it works.

Edited by Gibsonm