New to SB, long time wargamer

Flibby

After months of saying I would, I've finally taken up a license to test out SB before taking the plunge with the full purchase. 

My my only regret is not doing so many years ago.

I have mainly been playing the various iterations of Combat Mission, but getting increasingly frustrated with the spotting mechanisms and the lack of realism created by action squares and tiny maps. This couldn't be more different. 

Im extremely keen to learn more advanced tactics in the combined warfare setting. Extremely pleasing so far is the amount of infantry support, which I was not expecting to be modelled so well. 

Just a quick question for the grogs anex tankers here - are the manorit of main guns fired via electric primers now, or are there still percussion fired primers/rounds?

• Members

I know of no tank gun that is still fired with percussion primers, but then again, this is the level of detail that I don't bother discussing with our clients. We only need to know how many procedures there are to make the gun go bang, and typically there are two. And in all honesty, percussion priming is simply less reliable, so I'm not sure why an army would still want to insist on that, or why an engineer might opt for that. The additional costs of two firing circuits and the high voltage primer unit are negligible compared to the total cost of a contemporary combat vehicle, and the whole assembly is virtually maintenance free.

All that said, welcome to the forum, and welcome to Steel Beasts. Thank you for your business. :)

Welcome! I would recommend reading the Starter Pack in the Steel Beasts Wiki if you haven't already. It has some good info on introductory scenarios, and gives a good overview of the multiplayer community. Otherwise, I highly recommend running through the excellent tutorials included in the game, spending time at the Tank Range, and when you are comfortable play the Instant Action Scenario. I'm not sure how deep you have already dived into Steel Beasts, but hopefully this helps you out. :)

If you are wondering on which tank to begin practicing on, I would recommend the Leopard 2A5. Even though my personal favorite is the M1A2 SEP, the Leopard 2A5 is a forgiving tank (as far as tanks are forgiving) to start with, since as the gunner you just need to focus on engaging targets. Becoming good on the Leopard 2A5 means that you will have the skills necessary to also use the Leopard 2A6, the Leopard 2A5-DK, the Leopardo 2E, and the Strv 122. You can also jump into the Leopard 1A5 and (expecially) the Leopard 2A4 without too much of a learning curve. 

Again, welcome to the Steel Beasts community!

Edited by Mirzayev

On 2/15/2017 at 2:05 AM, Flibby said:

I have mainly been playing the various iterations of Combat Mission, but getting increasingly frustrated with the spotting mechanisms and the lack of realism created by action squares and tiny maps. This couldn't be more different.

I totally hear you, as those were exactly the same issues that finally did me in and drove me to shell out for SB. It has its quirks too, but it is a more enjoyable experience overall, imo. Life without action squares is awesome. Freedom!

You should also give multiplayer a try when you feel ready, as it adds a whole new dimension to the game. Like what H2H does for CM, except turned up to 11. Nothing like having 20+ people participating in a scenario and working together.

Thanks for the welcome chaps. I'm finding the sim extraordinary, especially the attention to detail. 

Im looking to become more proficient at the tactical side of the game. Coming from infantry focussed sims being spotted attempting to reach the perfect overwatch position is extremely dispiriting! I think I've realised however that covered approaches shouldn't mean driving through the woods. That's as tedious as I imagine it would be in real life. 

you are velcome to join us in multiplayer we even have 1 tonight

but would recommend coming on our TS during today to get set up so we have time to explain how our coms setup is made as we use multiple channels etc....

Most people hang out 3/4 of an hour before the game to shoot the shit and for PLT leaders to get their orders and ask questions to the CO.

We have room for you if you like in a PLT with 2 of the guys who help new people in.

Best regards

MD

10 hours ago, Major duck said:

you are velcome to join us in multiplayer we even have 1 tonight

but would recommend coming on our TS during today to get set up so we have time to explain how our coms setup is made as we use multiple channels etc....

Most people hang out 3/4 of an hour before the game to shoot the shit and for PLT leaders to get their orders and ask questions to the CO.

We have room for you if you like in a PLT with 2 of the guys who help new people in.

Best regards

MD

Much appreciated MD. I do think that, much like ARMA, a VU will be the best way to learn the intricacies of the game.

I'll need to have a think about the best times etc but I'll surely meet you on the BF shortly.

3 hours ago, Flibby said:

Much appreciated MD. I do think that, much like ARMA, a VU will be the best way to learn the intricacies of the game.

I'll need to have a think about the best times etc but I'll surely meet you on the BF shortly.

While singleplayer is a lot of fun, in my opinion multiplayer is where you will get the most enjoyment out of Steel Beasts. Besides the added social aspect (which does count for a lot), you'll learn from your fellow players, and have great fun while doing it! Try playing with all the VUs out there at least once if your schedule permits to get a feel for each of them, and see which ones you enjoy the most. In Steel Beasts, VUs are not exclusive; I'm a member of Kanium, but we have played games with guys from Dogs of War, BG ANZAC, and the OPFOR. Also, even though I am a member of Kanium, I regularly attend the Canadian Armored Division (CAD) games on Wednesday, just because they provide a different flavor than the normal Kanium scenarios. 

Also, don't feel too worried about trying to "get ready" for Multiplayer. No one expects you to be a Michael Wittmann of the Steel Beasts variety, especially in your first few games. As long as you are able to control your vehicle effectively, you will be fine. I would recommend being comfortable with the Commander's position, and at least know how to shoot as a gunner in Emergency mode, using the GAS, inputing manual range, etc. If you are able to do that, you will have very few issues falling into a Platoon and destroying T-72s. :) 

Also, I love your profile picture! The khukuri is quite an impressive blade; I acquired one while training with the 2/9 Gorkha Rifles in northern India. They were certainly impressive Soldiers!

On 2/20/2017 at 0:46 AM, Mirzayev said:

While singleplayer is a lot of fun, in my opinion multiplayer is where you will get the most enjoyment out of Steel Beasts. Besides the added social aspect (which does count for a lot), you'll learn from your fellow players, and have great fun while doing it! Try playing with all the VUs out there at least once if your schedule permits to get a feel for each of them, and see which ones you enjoy the most. In Steel Beasts, VUs are not exclusive; I'm a member of Kanium, but we have played games with guys from Dogs of War, BG ANZAC, and the OPFOR. Also, even though I am a member of Kanium, I regularly attend the Canadian Armored Division (CAD) games on Wednesday, just because they provide a different flavor than the normal Kanium scenarios. 

Also, don't feel too worried about trying to "get ready" for Multiplayer. No one expects you to be a Michael Wittmann of the Steel Beasts variety, especially in your first few games. As long as you are able to control your vehicle effectively, you will be fine. I would recommend being comfortable with the Commander's position, and at least know how to shoot as a gunner in Emergency mode, using the GAS, inputing manual range, etc. If you are able to do that, you will have very few issues falling into a Platoon and destroying T-72s. :) 

Also, I love your profile picture! The khukuri is quite an impressive blade; I acquired one while training with the 2/9 Gorkha Rifles in northern India. They were certainly impressive Soldiers!

Thanks Mirzayev,

My uncle was at one point CO of the 7th Gurkha Rifles and fought in the Falklands in '82. He's got some stories that make the hairs in the back of your neck stand up.

Rest assured if I was in a sticky situation, I'd pick a Gurkha over anyone else to have my back. Case in point - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1393355/Hero-Gurkha-handed-bravery-medal-Queen-said-I-thought-I-going-die--I-tried-kill-I-could.html

On 2/19/2017 at 2:59 PM, Flibby said:

much like ARMA, a VU will be the best way to learn the intricacies of the game

Welcome to the SB community. Much different than the ArmA VU community. You will not be calling a 14 year old boy 'sir' on the internet or be forced to stand attention in the virtual world. I can speak for the Kanium games, but these are low-stress, non-competitive cooperative games. 

31 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Welcome to the SB community. Much different than the ArmA VU community. You will not be calling a 14 year old boy 'sir' on the internet or be forced to stand attention in the virtual world. I can speak for the Kanium games, but these are low-stress, non-competitive cooperative games. 

Damn you! You must not write such stuff while I'm drinking coffee...

1 hour ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

You will not be calling a 14 year old boy 'sir' on the internet or be forced to stand attention in the virtual world.

I'll have you know, that 14 year old was a Lieutenant in his best-friend-from-school's *elite* MILSIM unit.  The amount of training he went through to attain that rank is no laughing matter! Have you ever played ARMA 3 for two days straight? He has! He deserves YOUR respect!

Or, he just asked his buddy if he could be an officer...

That being said, we don't do that around here. The main goal is fun, and that is what we try to provide.