Camouflage and Concealment in SB.

Marko

I set up a very basic mission chieftains v T-72A's

I positioned the chieftains in a forest with the intention of using the trees and foliage as camouflage.

But the T-72's were able to spot and engage them at relatively  long range had the T-72s been thermal equipped i could understand this.

So i jumped in to a couple of the T-72s to see if i could spot the chieftains Using the commanders and gunners sights. i was unable to see the chieftains 

Admittedly my eyesight is not the best and my monitor is relatively small 

So i suppose the question i am asking is does, trees and foliage  have any effect on the AI commander/spotting targets.

Now we have more older generation AFVs and hopefully  get some more in the future it would be a great feature to be able to apply camouflage to your AFV relative to the terrain your mission is set in.

I know the leo-2DKA5  in game has some thermal defeating covering it would be a good feature to be able to apply the various types available.

the Russians developed a product of there own 

For the T-90. pic below. 

th (1).jpg

image001.jpg

Edited by Marko

I have been wondering about how concealment and spotting works in SB also.

It would be helpful to know how it's programmed with forests and shrubs. I assume there is some spotting modifier, or something like that, when located in a forest, but does it apply only if inside the woods a certain distance, and does density make a difference? Does hiding behind a bush actually conceal you?

I probably would rather to remain ignorant than find out concealment is not very well modeled in SB, and I could see that being the case since most spotting will be done by units with thermal or NVG. Spotting has always been an important part of my war gaming, and i remember being totally turned off in Shock Force when I found out recon Hummers with optics provided no spotting advantage over normal units.

I'd like to know anything you can find out

• Members

There are a number of fundamentals.

1. Moving targets get spotted more likely than stationary targets
  2. Dust clouds attract attention, and lead to a more frequent observation in that direction, making it more likely for the AI to spot emerging targets. So, you may want to approach ridges at slow speed to reduce your signature when operating on dusty ground
  3. Skylining your vehicle increases your likelihood to get spotted
  4. Appearing in front of an enemy position increases your likelihood to get spotted
  5. Blocked line of sight will help to conceal you against computer-controlled units

Now, all that said, there are a number of issues.

• "Ground clutter", bushes and boulders, that fade out at a distance - no matter how large - will NOT conceal you. Even if it blocks your own view.
  • There is no ambiguity. Once that you ARE spotted, you are immediately identified as friend or foe, and your identity and location is sent immediately into the AI hive mind (except for those units that have no radio connection)
  • Likewise, there is no gradual identification process. Ideally there would be, but that's something for a future upgrade. So, WHEN you get spotted, and that is only a matter of time, you get identified, even if only a tiny part of your vehicle is actually exposed.

Conclusion: Driving inside of forests usually blocks our own view, but doesn't stop the enemy from spotting (and shooting) you.