Welcome to Steelbeasts.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Splash

How to change armor crewmen

27 posts in this topic

This is a tutorial on how to change your AFV crewman model.

I wanted my Israeli tankers to look less ... well ... Russian. 

 

52BRyIq.jpg

 

... And more like this guy.

 

SwNvQ9j.jpg 

 

So here's how I changed that.

This requires only basic familiarity with the mission editor, and although I'm using Israel as an
example, the process works the same with any nationality in SB.
 
With your AFV forces already on the map and 'IL' selected as the Camouflage scheme for that side, RIGHT-
click on one of the AFV units. Then under Options in the context menu, select "Set look of crew."

 

4b3go9T.png

 

In the dialog box that appears, scroll through the list and choose how you want your crew to look. I'm
using the AFV Crewman (US) because it looks more like the crew in the 1973 photo above. But perhaps your
force is made up of African rebels, and you don't want the armor crews in neat, black, Russian tanker
outfits and helmets. You could pick one or more of the many "rebel" models for the crews. This is a great
feature in version 4.x, and the possibilities are numerous.

 

Select the model name -- AFV Crewman (US) in this case -- and click the ">" button.

 

DWI3j1I.png

 

This moves your selected model into the right-hand window. Now click on "Apply to all units of this
type
."

 

4Fs1Mop.png

 

If you were to click "OK"instead, you would be changing only the crew of the currently selected unit. In
my African rebel example above, this would let you repeat the process for each platoon (or even each
tank) on the map, selecting a different-looking crew for each, if you wanted. 

 

Once the "apply" button is pressed, the dialog box will disappear, and your Israeli crew will now look
like this in the 3-D world:

 

kRivFP9.jpg

 

Additionally, I have modded my Israeli crews to look more the part by color-matching the UStanker.dds
with the infantry skin and placing them in the desert/il folder in mods/textures/camo.  

 

 

MW82NHX.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note that you can't randomize among the vehicle crews like you might otherwise be able in other places. Which is OK for highly standardized crew appearances. But if you were to pick one of those rebels (which we made to look particularly ... colorful and outrageous), it would be the same rebel in all the tanks unless you selected a different rebel manually (and I'm not even sure if it's possible to split all platoons, set individual crews for each tank, then merge the whole back and retain the individuality). Anyway, the same rebel guy on every tank is more of an immersion breaker than swapping uniformed crews for other uniformed crews. OTOH, we'd expect the rebels to have only a handful of T-55s anyway, so maybe it's not so bad in practice...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Servus,

 

I think our rebel solution was the result of to many beers, but worked very well. The "problem" is you have to replace the rebel guy skin in the original esimgames folder.

I think it was in one of the last Kanium sunday games (from Ronin, Un in africa). I was observing my area and spotted rebels in oliv camo tank overalls with a german green beret and was wondering why a couple of seconds.:)

Anyway, Splash feel free to upload more of your crew skins, I like them and can not have enough.

 

cheers

 

D u k e

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, D u k e said:

I was observing my area and spotted rebels in oliv camo tank overalls with a german green beret and was wondering why a couple of seconds.:)

 

War booty, obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Note that you can't randomize among the vehicle crews like you might otherwise be able in other places. Which is OK for highly standardized crew appearances. But if you were to pick one of those rebels (which we made to look particularly ... colorful and outrageous), it would be the same rebel in all the tanks unless you selected a different rebel manually (and I'm not even sure if it's possible to split all platoons, set individual crews for each tank, then merge the whole back and retain the individuality). Anyway, the same rebel guy on every tank is more of an immersion breaker than swapping uniformed crews for other uniformed crews. OTOH, we'd expect the rebels to have only a handful of T-55s anyway, so maybe it's not so bad in practice...

 

Splitting a platoon, choosing a different crew for each, then reconsolidating the unit does not negate your crew selections in individual vehicles. True, you cannot at this point use multiple models orskins in a single tank, so your advice about the 'outrageous' choices is well-taken. Still, you never see more than two crew at a time in a given tank -- and just the commander from and external/enemy viewpoint. So It's a very versatile and useful feature and I thank eSim for including it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, D u k e said:

Servus,

 

I think our rebel solution was the result of to many beers, but worked very well. The "problem" is you have to replace the rebel guy skin in the original esimgames folder.

I think it was in one of the last Kanium sunday games (from Ronin, Un in africa). I was observing my area and spotted rebels in oliv camo tank overalls with a german green beret and was wondering why a couple of seconds.:)

Anyway, Splash feel free to upload more of your crew skins, I like them and can not have enough.

 

cheers

 

D u k e

 

 


It actually was seeing that mod in a PzBt911 video that led me initially to look into this feature. Since then, someone requested a skin mod and, well, here we are.


I could ask eSim for one thing more regarding crew and infantry model choices ... but I won't here at risk of derailing the thread.

 

And yes, I do have a few more AFV Crewman skins planned. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soon available, in addition to the Israeli skin above, two more that require nothing more than to drop them into the mod folders:

 

 CGr2kSK.png

 

A British crewman in Desert DPM. The vest has been painted to "suggest" the presence of Osprey-type body armor. A truer representation would require modding the normal map, which I prefer not to do for now.

 

And one I've been using myself since 4.0 came out ... US Army in Iraq War DCUs.

 

jEtQQew.png

 

Stay tuned for more.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 04/03/2017 at 2:04 PM, Splash said:

~snip~


Additionally, I have modded my Israeli crews to look more the part by color-matching the UStanker.dds
with the infantry skin and placing them in the desert/il folder in mods/textures/camo.  

 

 

 

 

Be aware we did spend a fair amount of time researching the colours for the original files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

33 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

 

Be aware we did spend a fair amount of time researching the colours for the original files.

 

I appreciate that. I just wanted my Israeli tank crews to be wearing CVC helmets and the same color olive uniforms as the infantry.

 

Attached are the stock textures. Are you suggesting the Israeli AFV crews should look more like the guy on the left?

SS_15_53_23.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I mis-read your post I thought you were replacing the infantry textures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

Posted (edited)

On 3/4/2017 at 9:33 AM, Ssnake said:

Note that you can't randomize among the vehicle crews like you might otherwise be able in other places. Which is OK for highly standardized crew appearances. But if you were to pick one of those rebels (which we made to look particularly ... colorful and outrageous), i

 

Greevil would have loved this option back in the day!

Edited by daskal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone look this way and say "Vegemite!"

 

VvSfy0W.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Splash said:

Everyone look this way and say "Vegemite!"

 

Nice work Splash!  I think you can legitimately say "Everyone look this way and say "Vegemite and cheese!" as some people apparently like that combination in their sandwiches... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my sweet lord! I love this! Can I put in a request for a Swedish crewmember in M/90 camo on the "US Tanker"? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great looking textures, as usual Splash. 

 

Looking forward to your multicam crewman uniform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Great looking textures, as usual Splash. 

 

Looking forward to your multicam crewman uniform. 

 

Check the PM I sent you March 2. 

 

7 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

Oh my sweet lord! I love this! Can I put in a request for a Swedish crewmember in M/90 camo on the "US Tanker"? :)

 

I could do that. :D

SS_10_24_19.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh looking good! Can the body armor be in M/90 to? (kroppskydd 94 as reference). 

 

I digg this allot, nice find you have done here! 

/KT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can certainly make the vest camo. I can try to add some straps and zippers to 'suggest' the presence of that style of armor ... but I cannot make the model something it's not. Stay tuned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds good enough for me :) The CV9040 dont have crewmembers yet so I will only see this guys in the strv122 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Splash, I just wanted to say that your texture mods are an "automatic install" for me! They look great, as always!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, thanks. I merely stand on the shoulders of giants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11.3.2017 at 4:21 AM, Splash said:

Everyone look this way and say "Vegemite!"

 

VvSfy0W.png

I knew there was something odd abouts Spash's picture. He did some post processing.

 

But I managed to find the original:

 

Right_M1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2017 at 11:52 PM, Panzer_Leader said:

 

Nice work Splash!  I think you can legitimately say "Everyone look this way and say "Vegemite and cheese!" as some people apparently like that combination in their sandwiches... :)

 

Vegemite & American Cheese, best combo on earth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

17 minutes ago, TankHunter said:

American Cheese

 

No such thing - there is some yellowish muck that comes out of a tube (or even worse a spray can). :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now