Manual range input

Helo

Hi everyone

I recently bought the 1 month licence of SB to test this awsome simulation. On my way through the tutorials of the Leo 1, I ran into some problems. It seems that some of the key combinations are not functioning. For instance, I can't enter the range manually into the targeting computer without using the knob in the F1 view. According to the tutorial it should work by entering the range on the main keyboard and then press enter. This does not work, even though I have the computer set on manual range. And by pressing "enter" it just opens the chat bar on the bottom of the screen. While this is only a convenience problem when in the gunner position, it becomes a major problem when trying to enter the range manually from the TC position since you can't to it with the knob from there. I looked in the manuals and the SB wiki but didn't find anything. Did I overlook something? Has anyone the solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by Helo

43 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Which Leo 1?

I think its more a case of improving the accuracy of the simulation (i.e. removing something that you shouldn't be allowed to do).

Pretty sure from my time in a Leo AS1 that the Commander can't dial in the range number from their seat.

So while the previous arrangement might be useful, its not accurate.

It's the Leopard 1 A5

I would argue that it would not necessarily be unrealistic since in real life the TC would probably tell the gunner what range he should put in the computer. So typing in the range from the TC seat would be the equivalent of telling the gunner to insert a certain range into the ballistic computer. In single player probably more realistic than jumping from one position to another. I mean the same principle is currently used for driving. You don't have to jump to the drivers seat to move the tank. You practicaly have direct controle from any position. Not very realistic in a strict sense, but pretty realistic if you see it as "telling a crew member to do something".

• Members

Oh, I overlooked that part about the vehicle commander.

- - -  Okay, well, I agree with you that it would be somewhat in line with the other ways how our UI allows the player as commander to interfere with other crew actions. I guess the thought never crossed out mind because the computer-controlled gunners are reasonably competent to estimate ranges, and human interference would probably make gunnery quality only worse (so, we didn't "take it out", it was never there to begin with). Above all, it's yet another element of micromanagement that I, personally, would have liked to avoid in many areas ... but then we discovered that crew and gunnery training was in higher demand by armies than the tactical training aspect.

So, for the commander, this feature isn't there (and never was, as far as I can remember, but memory is becoming increasingly fuzzy for the years before 2012).

Since I am trying to understand every system of the Leopard 1 at the moment, I have another question concerning the so called "battle sight". According to SBWiki activating the battle sight sets the sight automaticaly to 1000 Meters (displayed as E00). What I don't understand is what happens when you hit the battle sight key a second time because then the "E00" becomes "000". I suspect that this means that the sight range is set to 0, but I didn't notice any difference in Zeroing compared to the E00 mode. Furthermore it seems that the 000 mode deactivates dynamic lead. So what is this mode good for? What's the use? Last thing I noticed is that when switching from a lased range to E00 the "F" for "ready to fire" is displayed like it should. But when switching to 000 there is no "ready to fire" indication (so instead of "F" there is a "0" as if the gun was not ready) and if you switch back from there to E00, there is still no "F". But firing is always possible regardless of the "ready to fire" indication. So is this a bug or a feature I just don't get?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!