Black squares

3r22r

Hello World

I think my problem below is related. I used Paint.NET to edit a BMP file of SteelBeasts Legacy. What I did was to use the Mosaic effect in Paint.NET like so:

mosaic.JPG

The result of my handiwork is a black block where the tree of that image used to be.

blackblocks.JPG

How do I solve this?

Okay, why am I doing this in the first place? If I told you you would laugh. I am trying to come up with a MineCraft-inspired skin for SteelBeasts Legacy. You can stop face-palming and laughing now.

Actually I can do this - mod the tank skins so that they are more pixellated. Again Paint.NET is what I use.

pixellatedleo.JPG

As you can see, I have given the Leopard the Minecraft makeover. So a leopard can change its spots! It's just the bushes and trees that I can't pixellate without running into the black blocks syndrome.

Regards

Frankie Kam 

Edited by frankiekam

• Members

Well, you're editing MIP mapped textures. For that to work they need to conform to some exact dimensions and coordinates. I can't help you with the details - partly because we don't provide support for MODs in the first place, partly because Steel Beasts 1 has been discontinued from our support ten years ago.

On the upside, mipmapping is a very old technique that should be well documented on computer-graphics related websites. If you read up the basics it might already give you an idea what to do about it.

Steel Beast Legacy is limited to 256 colors (8 bits).  All textures must use the same 256 color pallet.  The black boxes are probably caused by using a 24 bit pallet rather than an 8 bit.

1. Open any original SB .bmp file and save its color pallet to a file.

2. Open and edit the SB texture file that you wish to change.

3. Before you save your texture file, load the color pallet from step 1.

On 3/21/2017 at 5:04 PM, Ssnake said:

Well, you're editing MIP mapped textures. For that to work they need to conform to some exact dimensions and coordinates. I can't help you with the details - partly because we don't provide support for MODs in the first place, partly because Steel Beasts 1 has been discontinued from our support ten years ago.

I support the right of an inventor/creator to have intellectual property, and the right of an inventor/creator to profit and benefit from the sale, leasing, licensing, use, and/or exchange of his intellectual property...

But I have to say that in cases of games like Steel Beasts 1, I feel like the appropriate thing for the developer to do is, at some point, to make available his old source code for the outdated game, and any tools that he himself created for it which could be used to expand/mod/develop/patch/edit the program.  There's plenty of people out there (like myself) who dabble in retro games both as a source of entertainment and because occasionally the game still has lots of entertainment value, for whatever reason, and sometimes it's nice to be able to play around with them a bit, fix old errors or mistakes, etc.

9 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Hard to argue with feelings. All I can say, it's not gonna happen.

Oh no, I know your stance on it.

You're obviously not generating a profit from 1.0 in any way, and if it were still viable you'd still offer it for sale.

It's still your IP and your right to keep it a secret.