Forum functionality

Ingolf

Personally, I like the obvious lift of steelbeasts.com but there seems to be some functions missing or not just yet implemented?

The rating system of the community addons/documentation is not working at my end, even though it says that 7-10 ppl rated it, there is no "readable" indication/documentation of it. Why and how could we fix it? The opinions/arguments are not displayed and "stars" are not "filled".

I would like to be able to rate scenarios/documentation etc. but don't know how at the moment. Is it coming? What am I doing wrong?

I think this community is one of a kind compared to the mainstream gaming-community so I hope the Forum could evolve into something that is more responsive?

What is the current potential here, is there a budget/strategy to make the forum even more user friendly? I know (as a long timer) that focus is on milsim classroom, so I just speak for the casual gaming part here.

All the best,

Broms.

Edited by Ingolf

Ok, I'll respond to myself on this topic: Maybe, the reviews were past the renovation of the website? I do see the "stars" and comments of the newer addons so it may just be an issue with historic contributions?

Still a bit confusing as I, myself, tend to keep an eye on highly rated material. Past or not. :D

• Administrators

There are a few things involved - the downloads import process could have lost some of these things and there was no choice in the matter because of the db design.  Also, somewhere along the way, the reviews feature was broken - you have to download a file to review it, but it keeps telling you that even after downloading.  I've reported this to the forum vendor.  The forum will get a upgrade over the weekend, hopefully this fixes it.

Thanks Sean for filling in. Then I know there's nothing I can do at my end (browser etc) to "repair" the information.

Good to know you're working on it. Not a major problem, but merely a lacking bonus :D

Cheers and thanks for all the good efforts,

Ingolf

I had a look at two of my "Tutorial" downloads (one from old forum and one from new).

Whilst I had downloaded both I couldn't lodge a review for either.

Unsure if that's because I'm the Author potentially reviewing my own file or a limitation of the browser on the Defence network.

Will try again tonight and let you know.

There's also a comment section that does not require downloading the file in order to post to it. 

Go to any file and locate the User Feedback section > The first line should read: "# Reviews  # Comments" > Click on "# Comments".  

Thanks for the efforts everyone.

If it is to any help; I did a test on one of my own small contributions here:

It states 7 reviews (from previous web version) but they are not readable, nor do they contain any rating (stars).

Today I was able to review my own upload (including star-rating). But the archived reviews still do not show up.

So, now there's 8 reviews and only my "dummy"-review show up.

I do not mean to rate my own uploads but would like to see others comments in order to improve my contributions.

Perhaps there should be a lock so that authors can't rate their own contributions? For me it is something that wouldn't be necessary as we are quite a grown-up community. But just sayin.

Edited by Ingolf

• Administrators
On 3/23/2017 at 9:57 PM, Sean said:

the downloads import process could have lost some of these things and there was no choice in the matter because of the db design

Like I said above, some stuff didn't make it.  It's too late to go back and do anything about it a year or so after the fact.  What we can do is make sure it works correctly moving forward for future reviews.  

There is no current way to prevent authors from reviewing their own files.  I don't think its been too much of a problem over the last 15 years.