SB Pro PE 4.0 Hardware Discussion

Parachuteprone

My understanding of the intel core architecture and naming schemes is that i5 have between 4 and 6 meg of cache, whilst the i7 have 6-8meg, as well as the hyped-thread....er hyperthreading to double numbers of cores available to the operating system.  Real life visibilty of improvements may vary.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed Pro PE 4.0 on a 2011 early 17" screen Mac Book Pro...  It has an integrated Intel video processor and a 1GB Nvidia video processor.  I'm running Windows 7 on Boot Camp.  I installed a 1 TB SSD and 16GB of ram.  No problems at all with the install.  I'm using the USB key license.  With only a few hours going through the initial tutorials I probably haven't exercised the system much.  So far so good...  I naively thought hitting targets would be easier...

• 4 months later...

Thanks to every one who has contributed to this thread. It has been very useful to me, and Nils' candour about the hardware and legacy software issues was very refreshing and encouraged me to give SB a go. The fact  that SB Pro PE does NOT need a screaming 5000 buck monster system to run is one of its main attractions.

From my own experiments with 4.0.10, the single biggest FPS hit on a mid range i5, Gforce GPU, machine is shadow computation. I just turn them off except for selfie/trophy shots. All the other tweaks only seem to make a couple of FPS difference, but shadowing halves the framerate. Period.

This is not unsurprising as most games have the same issue. As I am not a programmer I cant say if the shadow calculations are to be  impoved by raw CPU power, GPU power or by coding enhancements.

Getting a decent SSD drive to run SB from is also a big time-saver, and much cheaper than the other options.

My ha'penny worth, with my thanks.

Trackpin

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Took the plunge (figured I might as well get use out of the new box while waiting for the Engine update / Refresh):

Not saying this is in any way the needed / optimal / benchmark / recommended setup, but its what I've opted for:

- 1 × Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition Window Mid-Tower Case
- 1 × AB65376 Intel Core i5 6600K Quad Core LGA 1151 3.5 GHz Unlocked CPU Processor
- 1 × Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming K5 LGA 1151 ATX Gaming Motherboard
- 2 × G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2400MHz Memory Red
- 1 × Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-75E1T0
- 1 × Thermaltake Toughpower GOLD 650W Modular Power Supply
- 1 × Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB Video Card
- 1 × Windows 10 Professional 64-bit OEM DVD
- 1 × CoolIT Systems Eco III 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - OEM Package - No Fan

Edited by Gibsonm

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gibsonm what kind of frames are you getting with your setup. I have

I7-2600K @ 3.4ghz

12 gig ram

MSI P67A-GD55 Military Class II Mobo

Gforce GTX 1070 8 Gig video

I am still on Win 7 but I do have a Drive with Win 10 Available

Thanks

6 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Tusler,

It hasn't arrived yet, but as soon as I get it unboxed and setup I'll let you know.

And guess what was waiting for me when I arrived home.

Now to put it together, transfer all the software, disable all the Windows 10 spy-ware and apply the Gbs of updates.

8 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

And guess what was waiting for me when I arrived home.

Now to put it together, transfer all the software, disable all the Windows 10 spy-ware and apply the Gbs of updates.

I intend taking the plunge on a new PC this year . It is just the pain of all the software transferring and re installing that is making me delay.  Your sounds good

Ninite .com is awesome as the installer of everything but the sims, windows and games. But it installs steam fx, and a lot of other stuff without a lot of hassle.

And windows can be transferred by using windows backup and then use it during install, it only have to be the same type of cpu architecture and the new HD needs to be bigger. the transfer takes about 3/4 - 1 hour then your up and running with the same install the same files the same ids etc... as before you can even do it from a lap to desktop or the other way around as windows since win 7 is almost hardware independant with the above stated rules.

I have tried it at work from a laptop to a desktop 3 times and it have worked every time

MD

• Members

Your one-stop shop to reign in Win 10: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Run it once to set your preferences. Restart Windows. Run it once more to kill the undead that returned despite switching them off.

Cortana requires access to "everything". As soon as you limit that, Cortana will hibernate (but never fully go away).

Note that after Windows updates some of your preferences are being changed back to default (and by what you wrote, default is not what you're looking for).

44 minutes ago, Rotareneg said:

There's a few posts further back in this thread.

I've heard they're going to simply things a bit, so all helicopters will be replaced by one multipurpose model, all tanks will be simulated via the standard reference tank, and finally all PCs and the new attack aircraft will be integrated together in one vehicle:

;);)

Hey, you forgot  folding  bikes for dismounts, added on special request from 1st TSG (airborne) :)

Edited by Jartsev

• Members

As a means to declutter the original thread (http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/10539-sb-pro-pe-40-hardware-recommendations/), I 'll be moving moved all posts here which do not directly report results or are otherwise distracting from a thread created (and pinned) to serve as a reference for people who are planning to buy a new computer or who want to get an idea how well SB Pro PE 4.0 will perform on their machines.

As a result this new thread may appear with the one or other discontinuity in the flow of the discussion. Also, as it turns out, I can't split the old thread and still keep this as the first post of the thread. So, if you read the las three pages and are confused, here's the explanation. Better late than never, I guess. :o