FPS and AI whereabouts

Ingolf

First; I'm a FPS freak that enjoy the amazing fidelity of the sights in SBProPE (4.010).

I choose carefully when designing my own scenarios to optimize a constant high FPS (~60). This includes map choice and number (and type) of AI's.

1. The options in the "terrain detail distance" and "graphics" menues allow us to finetune the experience, very nicely implemented.
  2. I also use Nvidia's options to find a good rendering "hotspot".

However, when running a scenario I often experience micro-stutter as soon as I align my sight towards the enemy (AI's) position. Even though they are in the distance and not visible by far. So this becomes a spoiler. I know "they are there" by simply notice a FPS drop, although the enemy is behind 2 fields and 3 forests inbetween.

I would like to know if this is coupled to the fact that SB needs to do CPU-calculations (when looking straight at them) or are the AI units actually rendered and hence coupled to GPU/visual-calulations? If the reason is the latter, perhaps it would be good to be able to set a "unit detail level"? Does this make sense? I know the urge/drive towards higher and higher detail of our tanks, but it has drawbacks for rendering and playability. Perhaps it is not possible to render units in various level of detail?

Also: It seems some vegetation covers (certain crops) tend to eat FPS more than others. This is interesting in terms of map design. Perhaps analyze what crops (etc) causes FPS-drops? I have tried to edit some of the excellent addon-maps to remove the FPS-eating elements. This is something we could discuss in the mod section ofcourse.

Join in for discussion :)

/Ingolf

Edited by Ingolf

There is nothing that would keep me from staying tuned in for it :D

Thanks Sean for the indication. So this has been adressed and been worked upon. Very intriguing, indeed!

Fantastic dev job as always!

Cheers,

Ingolf

• Members

I'm not sure if anything specifically has been done to address things, but as a number of steps have been taken to improve the general render performance the discussion is somewhat moot as far as version 4.010 is concerned. You would need to reassess version 4.019 or whatever number it finally gets from the compiler to see if the problem still persists.

Thanks Ssnake for info. The 4.019 is not yet available for us (the deadly species) right?.

I'll await the public patches coming along and report back on issues.

I should mention that it is a minor issue depending on client platform (hardware), but the essence is that rendering (or GPU calculations) seem to reveal targets in SP.