Welcome to Steelbeasts.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

lavictoireestlavie

120 mm L55 DM53 penetration of 900+ mm

Hello Everyone,

I heared from a Finnish "Leopard 2A6 commander" and another source that has access to the operation manuals of the Leopard 2A4,A5 and A6 that the L55 on the Leopard2A6 firing DM53 rounds can penetrate "900+ mm"  of RHA. What do you guys think about this 900+ mm figure?

Depending on parameters it is no problem. Just visit Willi Odermatt's perforation calculator and play around with the brinell hardness of the target plate, leaving all other parameters constant. Depending on what you enter there you can easily vary the perforation limit by 30% or so. This is the inherent danger with the calculator: It processes whatever parameter you put into the formula, and you always get a result. Whether the result makes any sense is a different question. We have our "eSim Standard" that we use for the material properties. Whether it's correct or not is less important than keeping it the same consistently across all rounds, so that the results are accurate relative to each other.

The "Operations manual" of the Leopard does not contain any characteristics or penetrations values of any rounds...just my 2ct

Good point. The Finnish might have it in their manual, but I somewhat doubt it. RHA figures are useless factoids for crews. You'd rather want to know out to which range you could engage target X, and from which range X would be a serious threat to you.

Ssnake and Grenny, thank you for your replies. I was also under the impression that armor and armament specifics would not be in operational manuals, since this information would not be relevant for the proper operation of the vehicle. On another note, should i try to get my hands on one of the manuals ?   I am really curious xD

The Finnish 2 A6 commanders can be, ahem, hard to understand sometime. Believe me, I know...

Not only the Commanders but also the officers :P sometimes when we play if 2 of them are in the same channel suddenly it sounds like there is a crypto on the radio and somebody is getting an earful.

MD :D

On 4/14/2017 at 9:37 AM, Major duck said:

Not only the Commanders but also the officers :P sometimes when we play if 2 of them are in the same channel suddenly it sounds like there is a crypto on the radio and somebody is getting an earful.

MD :D

Well that's the thing with the Finnish.

What they could be saying is: "He's over there!" 

But with two dozen different subtle nuances.

Ranging from from

"My dear boy, would you mind shooting that tank over there?"

to

"Kill that gooseberry sired Russian, NOW!"

:P

On ‎12‎-‎04‎-‎2017 at 9:34 AM, Abaddon said:

The Finnish 2 A6 commanders can be, ahem, hard to understand sometime. Believe me, I know...

Int saaatan ska ni kæmpa med knivar når ni har nya kampvagnar ... Och Hemgjord vodka... ?