Kingtiger

9 hours ago, Vikingo said:

Please Volcano any chance to have some kind of flashlight or red lighting inside cockpits for night battles in the future? It can be nice if we can turn on/off some kind of local light inside there. If I not remember bad in the past I think that was an "engine no go" but with the actual updated stuff maybe that can be achieved in some way. Thanks! and happy with the nice update ^_^

This has been possible for a long time. In fact, it was your M1A1 mod that inspired me to make this.

night.jpg

Edited by Lt DeFault

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Lt DeFault said:

This has been possible for a long time. In fact, it was your M1A1 mod that inspired me to make this.

wohoa! O.o Lt DeFault that looks so nice but is already in game or will be in future versions?  Is a personal engine MOD? :o 

S.O.S. xD 

ps: so glad my humble mod was the inspiration!  B| Hope it can be added to all tanks. 

21 hours ago, Volcano said:

Only, you didn't leave it at that.  ;)

We respect your opinion, but in regards to the comparison with 4.010, to put it simply there wasn't much lighting there to be honest. It was mainly a lot of fudge and nothing really popped. High noon looked dreary, appearing as if you had sun glasses on at all times, and everything looked generally washed out and low contrast. Internally we really felt the difference when participating in 4.010 games after testing 4.019, the difference was literally night and day (in a good way, in our opinion) where the world was more vivid, and normals and speculars stood out much better, and shadows were darker, lighting was brighter (contrast existed where they was very little or none before). 

That said, 4.019 is by no means perfect, but it is felt that it is a step in the right direction for proper lighting and contrast. Feel free to turn off post processing effects though (its a slider), as this helps reduce just about everything you mention.

BTW, in your M1 interior image in 4.019, the commander's hatch is open. If it is closed then you wont get that bright light in there. I only mention this because the light source at the commanders hatch is something we will tweak as we go - it is a known item for improvement (interior lighting in general).

FWIW, I see comments like 'I like it but I hope you guys don't stop improving it', and now 'I hate it and I hope it is changed'  -- there is no reason to think that we are going to stop tweaking anything (for better or for worse). :P

Guilty as charged :D.

Oh, I'm not saying the lighting in 4.010 was perfect by any means. However, it leaned more toward the natural end of the spectrum whereas 4.019 is on the artificial side right now. I do like that the normals and specs are more pronounced, but overall, yeah, not digging it yet. After having played a few scenarios, it looks a little better when the sun is lower in the sky compared to when it's high noon, which is when those screens were taken (They're all 4.019 screens, just with and without post process). Not a fan for how it looks without pp either, so I'll probably just leave it on and deal. The good in the patch outweighs what I view as the negatives, so it's not going to keep me from continuing to enjoy the sim or anything. Just had to get it off my chest.

Glad to hear you'll be working on the lighting. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

1 hour ago, Vikingo said:

Is a personal engine MOD?

It's just a mod of the standard interior texture colors. As long as it is in the mod folder, the interior will look that way. Re-reading your comment, it seems you might have been asking for the ability to switch to night lighting in-game. AFAIK, that is still not possible.

Just now, Lt DeFault said:

It's just a mod of the standard interior texture colors. As long as it is in the mod folder, the interior will look that way. Re-reading your comment, it seems you might have been asking for the ability to switch to night lighting in-game. AFAIK, that is still not possible.

thanks for extra info. yes, same method like the mod I did for Leopard 2. Hope someday we get "real lights" inside cockpits... ^_^ I think it can add a lot to night battles immersion. 

my impression is that tracers and fire graphics are more intense. they look better. objects which are further aware are better lit. this seems to come at a price: objects up close look more vibrant than seems natural. in particular, the textures used for desert environments look a bit saturated, desert themes look more surreal than seems intuitive. vehicles with a light or tan desert pattern in against the backdrop of desert scenario look lit up like were like low luminosity light bulbs viewed up close. it doesn't destroy the fidelity of the simulation, but it is noticeable; it's also possible we all perceive this differently as to what looks more natural and we might not all agree on that.

Homer! Thank you for introducing me to ReShade. I have installed it and have enabled to on SBProPE64cm.exe (Steel Beasts Pro PE 4.010). Simply amazing! Tweaking away.

Oh that's just me playing around with ReShade 3.07. Now all I need is to find the pixellation function to
change the image to Minecraft's blocky graphics.

Edited by frankiekam

Comparison of  what 0700 looks like with the sun on the horizon (1st image 4.019) compared to before (4.010). I think it looked much more natural before. This band of white across the horizon doesn't look like anything I've ever seen on Earth; this looks like another planet in a different solar system with a star about to do something like go nova or something. It's blinding.

SS_12_23_08.png

SS_13_28_43.jpg

I took my time to read through the SB Pro PE 4.018 Release Notes. All 20 pages. I couldn't help noting the following notes.

Page 9: 
Artwork/Render Engine
We had a lack of glow, and the only prescription was more cowbell.

Page 10: 
ASCOD Ulan:
o Fixed a tpyo in the label of the 'manual range' button in the ballistic computer

Page 12:
o CV90/35-DK: Applied hair conditioner for the rear towing cables, to give them a smooth appearance … and that silky sheen
CV90/35-NL:
    Scrubbed the tracks to bring out their texture
    Fixed bug #5056; purple mesh, begone! Shush!

Page 14:
M60A3:
o  Adjusted loader 3D character’s position as if the laws of gravity wouldn’t apply to CPL Lookatme–Icanfloat (Yes. That’s his name. I looked it up.)
Mi-8 HIP (Troops):
o  Group mage applied a counterspell to shadowcasting by rocket pods that aren’t there in the first place. Spooky!

Page 15:
1.2t Technical-T (60mm mortar):
o Applied psychotherapy to treat insane recoil level
VEC-M1:
o Applied some digital sandpaper to fix “a smoothing problem”

Page 16:
• Fixed a rather complex issue with unbound hotkeys of Steel Beasts under Windows 10. The programmers’ best at-tempt to explain it to me could have been taken straight from a dialog between Humpty Dumpty and the Cheshire cat, “SB asks "What is the value of potato?", Windows 10 responds "Maybe"”
• Fixed a bug with the spawn start- and end conditions
  o Fixed another bug with the spawn start- and end conditions. Also improved the associated condition dialog
  o Fixed a third bug with those wretched spawn start- and end conditions
  o Fourth fix is a charm
  o Make that the fifth fix
• Fixed crash that would occur when replacing a scenario's map with one that was smaller than the existing one Applied a first the pants, then the shoes Gary Larson memorial check.

Page 18:
• Fixed bug #5076; told LMG teams to stop playing Rambo and only fire the rifle or the MG
• Fixed bug #5142; TOW missile team soldiers will no longer stake the team leader’s heart with the tripod, no matter how much they hate setting up and disassembling the equipment. It just wasn’t civilized. Also, the leader wouldn’t die from it, so why bother
• Fixed bug #5174; opening the oxymoronic "Set Party Camouflage Options" dialog no longer erases previous settings. You gotta love the Greeks for inventing words like oxymoron, which is surprisingly anaerobic (not the sports)
• Fixed bug #5177; asked the LMGs to “work with the F1 camera, show your gorgeous LOD_H.X, baby!”
• Fixed bug #5218; prone infantry no longer performs a backflip animation when dying
• Fixed bug #5225; Tree #67 was ordered not to disappear just because his stem wasn’t being looked at, to which he replied “I am Groot”. We took that as a confirmation

Page 19:
• Fixed bug #5240; screwed on crew soldiers' heads more thoroughly
• Fixed bug #5247, where particles continued to get generated even after it had been, in Bill Paxton’s words, “GAME OVER, MAN!”
• Fixed bug #5324; space roaches wearing human bodies as a costume will now properly animate when dismounting
• Fixed bug #5327; in the Assembly Hall, really long unit names may now bleed over into other areas; suck it up, we’re not going to fix that anytime soon.

Page 17:
Fixed bug #3210; Civilians have better haircuts now

Humor cuts through the nomenclature and helps me understand the points. Noted the references to pop culture. Can't wait for the next release notes.

Edited by frankiekam