A simple SB CPU benchmark

Rotareneg

Attached is a simple scenario to get a CPU performance comparison with SB that shouldn't be effected by graphics cards. It's just the USSR Motorized Rifle Regiment BMP template, with nothing on the red side. When you run it, just go to the map ( F5 ) and switch to the report view and hit ALT-F12 to get the FPS counter. Vsync might effect effect the frame rate, you might want to turn it off (you'll need to close and reopen SB for the change to take effect.) Also, don't pause the sim as that causes it to stop running the AI calculations.

My desktop gets 25 FPS and has a old Core i7-860 overclocked to run at 3.4 GHz with all cores active and 4 GHz when only one core is busy. My laptop gets 30 FPS with a Core i5-3230M which isn't overclocked and runs at 3 GHz with both cores busy and 3.2 GHz with only one core busy. Both FPS results were rounded down. I hadn't realized the newer generation CPUs were that much faster clock for clock, and that was just 1st to 3rd generation.

CPU test.zip

Edited by Rotareneg

43 fps i7/6700k @ 4,6Ghz

with the render distance on default....

higher render distances give me lower fps...

so its not good to compare the fps from benchmark... without the datails of render distance and the other graphic setings.

11 minutes ago, Pak1979 said:

43 fps i7/6700k @ 4,6Ghz

with the render distance on default....

higher render distances give me lower fps...

so its not good to compare the fps from benchmark... without the datails of render distance and the other graphic setings.

Eh? The render distance shouldn't effect anything as you should be looking at the blank report page on the map, not the 3D view.

3 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

Ah, one thing that might have an effect even when looking at the report is vsync, you might want to turn it off.

Yep, that helped. I hate how it automatically turns on when you install the newest driver updates. 

You mentioned something about a report; would there be anything you could tell about performance from it?

I think he means the "Report" screen within the scenario.

That is how it can isolate the graphics component from the CPU component.

If it was the map view or the 3D view you'd be taking a performance hit (or at least different types of graphics cards would have different impacts) with the redraws.

Edited by Gibsonm

I have weird results:  20-25 FPs on i7 5820k. Gfx card is not important as you say in this test but i feel the need to say that it shouldn't be the choke point since it is R9 390x 8GB

Now weird thing is that CPU utilization was never above 15-18% O.o

2 hours ago, BigBadVuk said:

I have weird results:  20-25 FPs on i7 5820k. Gfx card is not important as you say in this test but i feel the need to say that it shouldn't be the choke point since it is R9 390x 8GB

Now weird thing is that CPU utilization was never above 15-18% O.o

CPU usage is normally reported as a percentage of total possible usage, so with your 6 core + hyperthreading CPU 1 busy core is only 8 1/3%, 2 cores 16 2/3% and so on. In this particular test SB appears to be using one thread. Add to that a little CPU usage for the video drivers, audio, and other system stuff and you get a higher total. On my 2 core + hyperthreading laptop the CPU usage on that test is around 30%, 25% for the main thread in SB and a bit more for everything else.

I'm just saying your CPU usage is normal. Windows treats your CPU as 12 separate CPUs to put it simply. In that test Steel Beasts is only use one CPU, so the CPU usage isn't going to be much above 1/12th of 100%. Add to that a bit of extra CPU usage for everything else running and you get the total you saw.

Now, as to why it seems you were getting a lower frame rate than it would appear to be normal compared to the other results here, I don't know. You were looking at the blank report screen in the map view right?

17 minutes ago, MDF said:

Somehow I'm getting 60 fps on an i7-2600K running at 3.4 GHz.  This was a powerful computer....five years ago.  What am I doing right?

What graphics card? I wonder if some video drivers have a lot more CPU overhead or something that might be causing performance issues even when just showing the report or briefing screen. Oh, and one more thing, you're not pausing SB are you? If you pause it the FPS goes back up, presumably because it's not running the AI and/or line of sight calcuations.

Edited by Rotareneg