Has the Community matured - the return of dedicated VU channels in TS?

Gibsonm

For those of us with longish memories, there was a time when the SB Teamspeak server had dedicated sub channels for each VU that asked for one.

There was a period where this went fine and was self-regulating.

Then there was an "issue" (for those who want the gory details you are welcome to use the search feature, I don't intend to resurrect that discussion here) and Ssnake determined that unfortunately the best solution was to delete these sub channels and have everything happen at the top level.

With some of us volunteering to be Moderators and I presume on the basis of "no news, is good news" that things are now back on track, I thought it might be time to ask if the VU channels could be restored?

These provided certain flexibilty for the VUs (setting up sub sub channels, etc.) that the current single option doesn't.

Perhaps each VU would need to nominate a Moderator to be responsible for, and accountable to eSim for, the conduct in their area (if so I'm happy to be the BG ANZAC moderator) prior to a sub channel being created and admin access granted?

If its "too early" or we are "never going back" then I accept that.

For eSim's consideration.

Edited by Gibsonm
typo

+1

What are the hallmarks and characteristics of a matured community? I''ll volunteer one answer. Mutual respect at all times (yes, yes, I know, respect has to be earned not demanded). Okay another one. No tearing down, but rather building up and encouraging each other. One more, last one: since one day, we are all going the way of our ancestors (back to dust), inclusion and acceptance of all human being, regardless of background, race, colour or creed.

It has been 2 matches in SB TS. One was a TvT that we were separated in Blue and Red channels, and the other cooperative one where we were in the same channel. I don't know why Gibsonm is asking if those suposed removed (wasn't here...) are going to come back, but when my arma3 community didn't play with a radio plugin, we used ts3 directly... and the way to communicate leader to different squads were with whisper functions inside of TS. And wasn't too bad.

Without knowing the purpose of the return of those subchannels, and sorry if I am mistaken about it, maybe whisper function would be nice to communicate between different platoons and/or leader.

Edited by Japo32

21 hours ago, Japo32 said:

It has been 2 matches in SB TS. One was a TvT that we were separated in Blue and Red channels, and the other cooperative one where we were in the same channel. I don't know why Gibsonm is asking if those suposed removed (wasn't here...) are going to come back, but when my arma3 community didn't play with a radio plugin, we used ts3 directly... and the way to communicate leader to different squads were with whisper functions inside of TS. And wasn't too bad.

Without knowing the purpose of the return of those subchannels, and sorry if I am mistaken about it, maybe whisper function would be nice to communicate between different platoons and/or leader.

Japo,

Whisper list functionality is well known here and is used as and when required. :)

What used to be possible was for say BG ANZAC to have its own channel and create a dedicated structure within it (Blue, Red, Chat, X Platoon, Y Platoon, etc.) this meant the VUs could tailor the TS channels to suit their needs, as opposed to the static configuration you see now.

In any case, there is little point is continuing the discussion, we have workarounds in place for the current arrangement and eSim has confirmed that the previous structure is not coming back.

Edited by Gibsonm

• 2 weeks later...

Dont fix something that aint broke ! 

Specially since the VU channels have gone there have been less drama. 

Anyone who wants their own VU channel has already moved to other locations or have their own TS server. 

I think its fine the way it is. 

8 minutes ago, ashdivay said:

Anyone who wants their own VU channel has already moved to other locations or have their own TS server.

Well that maybe your opinion but its not necessarily correct.

BG ANZAC would love the return of the channels - partly why I asked.

However we can work within the limitations of the current system.

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

Well that maybe your opinion but its not necessarily correct.

BG ANZAC would love the return of the channels - partly why I asked.

However we can work within the limitations of the current system.

Nevertheless , allowing one "Mature" VU to have a channel will result in demand/request from others too. 

I am sure the Mods dont want to open that door anytime soon. 

11 minutes ago, ashdivay said:

I am sure the Mods dont want to open that door anytime soon. 

Can you stop making assumptions and talking for "everyone".

I'm a moderator and I wouldn't mind.

The point is mute anyway as the person whose voice counts has made their view known back in Post #6.

2 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

why not let users create custom temporary channels, like the SimHQ TS?

That is a very good idea!!

When a team channel is needed it can be temporarily created and when there is none inside that channel, it dissapears.

Maybe each VU may have one or two assigned member with user rights to do create temporary channels.