2 questions about maps editing

Japo32

Hello,

I would like to ask 2 quesions.

1. Is there any way of import any image to set it as background in the map editor, so we can copy exactly the areas where there are elements as houses, forests areas, roads, etc.. instead of just doing by eye estimation?

2. In this video I can see sunflowers. How do I modify the terrain to put them? When I choose a theme it changes all textures of the map I am making. There is only option to set two type of trees.. and I cannot see the way to reprensent in an area a way of texture with 3D (like these sunflowers for example). 

Thanks!

That is nice one!! I will checkout. I was working a little in Ibiza to see how map editing works.. and start to understand somethings.

Thanks!

Edit: mmm VirusTotal gives me two alerts. I suppose they are false positive.

Edited by Japo32

• Members

What I can say right now is that we're working on a new map editor. Can't say when it'll be ready, but it's supposed to support adding orthophotos as a layer to support map building.

Until then however you'll have to live with these workarounds.

I've used Glass2K to overlay Google Earth and the map editor. For me it was useful only in tracing general locations of roads, bodies of water, and forests. But in magnified views, scaling the height map I was using, with Google Earth, was impossible. I could never get the rotation of the maps to align. So ultimately there was still a lot of eye-balling going on and completing even just a useful portion of a blank height map remained a monumental task. I lucked out that somebody (thank you DarkAngel and Falli) produced very detailed and largely complete, maps of the location I was interested in, and I was left with the luxury of editing those to my liking.

Those are great news! I will wait then to make some work in Ibiza. If you are working on a new map editor, it would be nice to have the feature to set objets in a 3D view. That way we could manage to set more details.

• 4 weeks later...

One option is to use an editor that enables you to trace areas and save as "shape files".  I've used this successfully with "FalconView" (among others).  Trace the roads/vegetation/rivers etc.  Save as shapefile. Use Map Editor to import into the map.  If you've done it properly, will automatically geo-locate.