Grenny

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last update:

Per agreement between us then Zaphod will move to Kingtigers platoon - his attendence depending on his arrangements regarding Mothers day.

Major Duck will command the Tank Zapod was assigned to (3-4 B), and I will be Gunner on that tank.

We will follow Mirzayev and Gunslinger668 to the last man and the last bullet, like we would Rommel:

Edited by Nike-Ajax

Thanks for joining this mission to all players.

Movement and attack by blue was speedy and well done. The RED BTR-BN got smashed very quickly... good job.

Allready got the feedback that arty was too much. I was shooting on when there was direct visual contact, and the target was stationary. When the target moved into a prepared kill zone...in called Arty right after spotting. When not, I waited some time before calling fires.

..But ,noted. Getting knocked from afar before getting a chance to kill stuff, is not so entertaining. (Major Duck drove into a repeat fire mission that was called onto a tank platoon, which refused to move after beeing engaged by infantry over several minutes and already had fires called on them once.)

What else to improve on the mission side?

That first contact by cavgunners plt was impressive.

I was sitting on the receiving end.

-tank spotted

-ATGM launched

...and then just before i hit; they popped smoke. The ATGM  misses and a second later that whole valley explodes in gun and maschinegun fire.

Scary if you think of it IRL

Edited by Grenny

Mant thanks for another entertaining session. Too bad that I didnt get to kill anything, but up to the point where I was immolated in artillery fire, then regardless of that then the exitement was there and high throughout. Cudos.

On the mission side:

How to improve on whats excellent?

AS an idea this:

Simulate a training rotation of Kanium & friends.

Which is to say given the constraints of the game then look at possible theoretical enemies and start with the easiest and end with the hardest. In a continuing loop?

For instance start with Gulf War III: US/GB/Denmark/saudi/Kuwait+? against a unified and belligerent Unified Panarabia, consisting of Iran, Iraq and Syria - a idea not far fetched at all as its almost there already. With that premise say 3 scenarios to constitute one campaign.

Second campaign against russia perhaps (since North Korea and China cant really be emulated as I see it in SB?) 

Also and along a completlely different axis and tangent: maybe someone can recommend an intro scenario apart from Gun Runner and Hornfelt for all the new guys including myself ?

Edited by Nike-Ajax

1 hour ago, Nike-Ajax said:

maybe someone can recommend an intro scenario apart from Gun Runner and Hornfelt for all the new guys including myself ?

Have you played the Operation included with the install? (Sinai-Chinese Farm). Its excellent, although can become overly difficult for single player as the Operation progresses

Also this; http://www.steelbeasts.com/files/category/10-single-player-scenarios/

Panzer Leader's Scenarios are good too http://www.steelbeasts.com/profile/2061-panzer_leader/content/?type=downloads_file

Edited by Bond_Villian

3 hours ago, Nike-Ajax said:

Also and along a completlely different axis and tangent: maybe someone can recommend an intro scenario apart from Gun Runner and Hornfelt for all the new guys including myself ?

Here are a few that I have experience with:

This is a fun campaign! It focused at the Platoon level, so you will get some experience commanding four tanks, and calling in indirect fires. Also, you can get away with spending less time on your plan than in some others.

This is a scenario where you will spend all your time at the Gunner's station. It is OPFOR oriented, but you may be able to change the tanks to whatever you want in the editor.

This one focuses on commanding a single tank, but you need to have good skills as a TC to win! You can also use enablers, like indirect fire, or a UAV. If you beat this one, then you have become a formidable Tank Commander!

This is one of Zipuli's easier scenarios, but it can still be a challenge! Focusing on the Platoon, the selection of good battle positions is vital for success here.

This one is OPFOR focused at the Platoon level. You will need to support three infantry units conducting an area defense against a Yugoslav attack. This one requires a lot of transitions from the march to the attack.

Finally, this one is focused on a Leopard 2 platoon serving in a reconnaissance role. The enemy can be threatening, but with a good plan you will be successful.

There are some ideas. Let me know if you were looking for something more specific!

50 minutes ago, Grenny said:

Kingtiger, whats your feedback on the Pandur? Useable vehicle?

Ugly as hell but it worked. Very thin  armour with a bunch of casualties in dismounts before dismounting but speed was good. 

Feels like a m113 on wheels pretty much so yeah it's usable. 

• 4 weeks later...