Operation Charcoal

Tacbat

Over the past two months, we've been playing a mini-campaign called "Operation Charcoal" on TGIF. First, I'd like to say thanks to all that played. Second, I'd like to get feedback on what you liked, and what you didn't like. What would you like to see implemented in the future?

Any and all feedback is welcome. I will remove the passwords from all four scenarios, and upload them here for all to have a look.

• Moderators

I think it was awesome; it is definately a lot of fun to feel like you are playing for something and with the losses that carry over.

As far as suggestions for the next one, I would say keep it as close to what you did here as possible but simplify what you can and eliminate the difficult stuff like the DZs and minefields which require you to constantly update. Maybe a deployment zone around the areas where a certain companies reside, multicolor depending on company so that all units on that side cannot just completely redeploy -- but if not then no big deal.

I enjoyed it. It made a change from playing random games. In fact I enjoyed it so much I'm making a huge coop based on it.

I don't see a real need for the support vehicles when each mission is so short as you start each time with a full load out.

The only thing I did not really like was the attack helicopters in the last mission Made me have to pull out my wagons and ended up being destroyed as a result. I still had my whole platoon at the start of the last one, but ended it begging for some thing to play with. But overall it was really well done and fun to play. Thanks.

• Moderators

Yes, I think that one of the great things about the campaign is that it will inspire others to run a campaign of their own (co-op and H2H alike). Sean and I may eventually run an ongoing TGIF campaign for further inspiration and as a good source of TGIF scenarios. Well that may not happen and if it does happen then it will not be for a while, but the idea is out there.

I suppose the scenarios could be kept relatively short like they are and instead of the support vehicles playing a direct role in the scenario, they would only play a role between scenarios (ie. the proximity of supply trucks and recovery vehicles determine whether units start fully supplied or pulled out of the river).

I don't see a real need for the support vehicles when each mission is so short as you start each time with a full load out.

Actually, the ammo status of all of the surviving vehicles were carried over from mission to mission. One thing that became clear to me was that most times, the vehicles that had expended ammo usually were the same ones that were destroyed. So, the resupply vehicles weren't called upon very often. Maybe in an 80-90 min scenario they would be more useful?

The only thing I did not really like was the attack helicopters in the last mission.

Yeah, the Blue choppers survived much longer then they had in play testing. They were usually shot down after engaging one or two vehicles. I guess the best thing would be to remove them completely, so they don't end up doing something unanticipated during the actual H2H mode. Maybe once dedicated air defence equipment shows up in SB, I'll reconsider the use of attack choppers.

Well, you know what I think about it. It was great. And the fact that I was on the winning team made it that much better :)

It does frustrate me that more people didn't show up. These online campaigns make the most out of what "SteelBeasts Pro" is. I'm not sure if the community as a whole realizes this or not.

Thanks for the great campaign, and your time Tac.