Is the BMP's low line of fire a liability for its dismounted infantry?

Scrapper_511

Hello folks. In his classic book "Red Thrust", Steven Zaloga mentions how the BMP-2's low silhouette and therefore its low line of fire for its cannon, can be a liability for (friendly) dismounted troops ahead of it. Has this remained largely theoretical or proven to be true in actual battle? My first thought is that the BMP and its infantry never saw combat the way it was imagined to do so in Europe...so no charging infantry in front of BMPs with guns blazing. Have any of you folks experienced this in SB 4.0?

I suspect that sort of friendly fire isn't modelled.

After all other dismounts don't suffer the concussion of being in front of the gun when its fired on other MBTs, nor are they injured by flying APFSDS sabots / petals as the discard forward of the muzzle.

• Members

I don't know if shooting above your own troops' heads when they are in the direct line of fire is doctrine in any army. If it were, it would be dangerous as hell, maybe even slightly more so with the BMP - but then again even a tall vehicle like the Marder or the Bradley would seek depressions to hide their hulls which invariably brings their guns closer to the ground.

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 7:10 AM, Ssnake said:

I don't know if shooting above your own troops' heads when they are in the direct line of fire is doctrine in any army. If it were, it would be dangerous as hell, maybe even slightly more so with the BMP - but then again even a tall vehicle like the Marder or the Bradley would seek depressions to hide their hulls which invariably brings their guns closer to the ground.

Well, the FM only calls for caution with sabot rounds. For others the rule of thumb:15 deg. of your muzzle is safe. Just for a sode note, snipers are allowed to shoot even closer to your head ?