how to dig a hull down position?

7 hours ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

1: ok how about the loader station? shouldnt there be animation for the case ejection and the loader opening (safing) the breech, opening ammo rack, pulling out the fresh round, loading and pushing it into the chamber, then lifting breech up then locking safety to the up position? or preferably interaction from loader station?

2: Also, are there Sherman tanks or Tiger and Panzer tanks in the sim or as additional vehicle?

3: Lastly, which part of binocular crosshair is considered the center of the screen and how is it used? how is it mil divided for rangefinding? 

4: What is the use of GPS blast door controls? Do position occupants automatically duck inside turret if the tank is under fire from an unbuttoned position? I sometimes hear the hatch close especially under fire. 

5: The manual states that GAS is used to check if the gun barrel has a clear LOS or actually clearing an obstruction immediately forward of it, how is this depicted?

6: One last thing. If a target I spotted is to my 9 o'clock and the gunner is facing forward, if I want him to auto identify a target which is at 11 o'clock while I shift GPSE to 2 o'clock, does pressing shift and left arrow make him auto target the first encountered target azimuth wise from 12 to 9 front to hard left or will he just first slew turret hard left to hull, then start a scan and pick the one he thinks is imminent danger? Can I prioritise his targeting meaning if there are trucks and tanks, can I order him to target only tanks while I use the turret mounted snoring pig on top on said trucks? 

I think I will move to the mission Tanks again! in order to sharpen my skills.

1: No

2: No

3: On the NATO binos, the vertical 20 mil mark (labeled as "2") is at the center. The numbered marks are on 10 mil increments.

4: To protect the GPS optics from small arms and shrapnel. Yes, the AI crew members will button up automatically when under fire, including close the GPS doors if under artillery fire.

5: You look through the sight and see if the obstruction is in the way. On the M1 the auxiliary sight is slightly below and to the side of the main gun, so if you can see the target with the GAS the shot shouldn't hit the ground. Not all tanks have the auxiliary sight in the same spot, the Leopard 2A5's have it on the turret roof centered with the gun and at the same height as the GPS so it doesn't really help with checking for obstructions.

6: Wait, you said question 3 was the last one, I'm confused. As for scanning, no you can't manually prioritize targets (and yes, everyone would like it if that was a feature.) I'm not certain if the AI stops at the first target is sees when you give a scan order or if it does a full scan first, try it and see.

Edited by Rotareneg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

1: No

2: No

3: On the NATO binos, the vertical 20 mil mark (labeled as "2") is at the center. The numbered marks are on 10 mil increments.

4: To protect the GPS optics from small arms and shrapnel. Yes, the AI crew members will button up automatically when under fire, including close the GPS doors if under artillery fire.

5: You look through the sight and see if the obstruction is in the way. On the M1 the auxiliary sight is slightly below and to the side of the main gun, so if you can see the target with the GAS the shot shouldn't hit the ground. Not all tanks have the auxiliary sight in the same spot, the Leopard 2A5's have it on the turret roof centered with the gun and at the same height as the GPS so it doesn't really help with checking for obstructions.

6: Wait, you said question 3 was the last one, I'm confused. As for scanning, no you can't manually prioritize targets (and yes, everyone would like it if that was a feature.) I'm not certain if the AI stops at the first target is sees when you give a scan order or if it does a full scan first, try it and see.

thanks man

• 1 month later...

well I checked the mission editor and in fact in the mission Tanks again!, there is a hull down emplacement immediately southwest to the start position in AO Tango. I managed to fight my way there and unfortunately, the bastard attacked my from behind when I was in BP. I am not sure though as to being appropriate to selected trigger vehicle for this particular mission, but it did not stop a round from getting through the forward edge and I think it reduced the kinetic damage modifier so the hit effect on me was OK per AAR. Have to do more testing, but I also noticed that driving position is best to ensure I am really hull down, not flat though (meaning ass up or forward area up). 

So to answer my question, and, as others mentioned ever so kindly, yes, the hull down position is an emplacement. It can be one tier, meaning one level for hull protection only, or two tier (yes, you guessed it, like cakes) for hull down and partial turret down protection. 

It can be in a mission if you go F1 and scan area, or it could be added to mission by right clicking empty area on map then selecting emplacements. It can also be camo'd or non-camo'd.