Cold Waters

Red2112

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched this stream a couple of day´s ago and knuckle/torp evasion and helo tracking wasent that bad IMHO.  Could be better but overall not bad I think. We tend to treat it as if it was Dangerous Waters and it´s not.  With about 7hrs. of gameplay you got your money´s worth as in any other game, and they are fixing things.  Still I´ll wait till it´s on sale!  I really like the way it looks and I get the urge every time, so I give the Visa to my wify (which Iam not sure if that´s a better solution) :D

Not sure why people insist on comparing this to Dangerous Waters. Since the day it was announced, KFG has made it very clear at every turn that Cold Waters was the spiritual successor to the old Red Storm Rising game and that it would not be the next DW. They're apples and oranges, and people being upset that an apple turned out to be an apple and not an orange when it was never supposed to be an orange and we were explicitly told it wasn't going to be an orange is nonsense.

What this sim is: It is best to think of it as a sub captain's simulator, or a submarine warfare tactical wargame if you prefer. Your job is to fight the boat, i.e. make the tactical decisions that bring about a successful or failed mission. Your job is not to be the entire crew. The crew does their respective jobs and feeds you the information necessary for you to make those tactical decisions. Just because it doesn't have stations or force you to do manual TMA does not mean it's not realistic. It actually has a good amount of realism, it's just that a lot of it is performed under the hood and then presented to the player in a non-overwhelming fashion. It is easy to learn but difficult to master.

What this sim is not: It is not a spreadsheet simulator, dot watching simulator or a systems simulator. If that's what you were hoping for, you will be disappointed and there are other titles out there that will make you far happier.

Personally, I absolutely love Cold Waters. I voted for it when it hit Greenlight, and I bought it on day one and can't stop playing it. It's the best 40 bucks I've spent since the SB 4.0 upgrade. It captures the tension found in submarine warfare extremely well, and it will put you on the edge of your seat when you're in the thick of the fighting. KFG also hit a perfect balance between realism and not overburdening the player with technical tediousness requiring the reading of 200+ page manuals. Seriously, this game is a breath of fresh air. Yes, there have been bugs, but KFG is dedicated to supporting the title and have already released two patches in less than two weeks. I have not experienced anything game breaking. Bottom line, if you have any interest in submarine warfare, get it. It's worth the asking price imo.

Taking out a Sverdlov class cruiser with WW2 era Mk 16 torpedoes by sneaking up on his six. Feels good, man.

SBhicNp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Homer said:

Finally, a competent commander.

Yes indeed!

If Iam correct Jive Turky is a retired sonar operator. I think he had basic traning with the QTC back then which brushed corbon paper for image.

Cheer´s <S> :)

Iam waiting for my birthday (soon), Cold Waters is the only one on the list :D

Edited by Red2112

Okay...after watching JiveTurkey's video (posted above), and being a sucker for naval sims [and sims in general], I pulled the trigger on Cold Waters.

So far, I have completed all of the tutorials and am now working my way through the single missions.

I must say: so far I am impressed. I have not been bothered by any reputed bugs and I am thoroughly enjoying the gameplay. (That is...when my wife is not playing ESO, because I only have one Steam account.) xD

Do not take this post the wrong way. Steel Beasts will always be my "first love". However, SB multiplayer is where I get the most satisfaction and I have not been able to allocate the time necessary to attend to that, due to my totally unpredictable work schedule.

Apologies to Volcano who was my "battle buddy" and who could always count on me to complete whatever task I was assigned. I do miss fighting with all of you. But, if I am not able to commit 100%, I would rather not burden you with my ineptitude. ;)

Cheers! :)

Glad you enjoy it, and they seem to be updateting regulary too which is great...

Version 1.05 Beta Available

1 JULY - KILLERFISH GAMES

Version 1.05 beta is now available. This version contains fixes to the campaigns in order to continue to resolve the most major and disruptive issues. It also contains the first draft of crew voices which were provided courtesy of subsim.com

To opt in to the beta:
Right click the Cold Waters in Steam library, go to properties and you should have new "BETAS" tab added, then use the pulldown to select the beta you would like to opt into -leave the early access code empty- and the new update should download. When you run the game the version number should read version 1.05.

Version 1.05
1 Jul 17

General
Opening Help in After Action Report no longer opens mini-map which breaks subsequent Back button
Removed legacy WeaponName and WeaponDescription fields from weapons.txt
Removed legacy RADARID field from sensors.txt
aircraft.txt stats modified (additional weapons added later when combat balanced better)
Juliette designation corrected to SSG
Added date to Single Missions descriptions
default/hud/default.txt added MissionMarkerColorInsertion and MissionMarkerColorLandStrike variables
Added new optional variable to mission files, MissionPositionColor=LAND_STRIKE to colour deployment zone marker based on mission type
Added missing MaxPitchAngle=25 variable to MK37 in weapons.txt
Added temporary LogVoiceVolume=1 parameter to default/hud/default.txt (set to 0 to disable voices)
Voice talent added to credits

Combat
Player speed no longer defaults to emergency back if reactor offline when changing speed
Moving in reverse now generates noise in Signature panel display correctly
Back Emergency increases noise rather than decreasing it below All Stop
Sunk vessels no longer detected by player ESM
Sunk vessels no longer perform surface or air radar checks
Sunk vessels no longer ping with active sonar
Opening Help in periscope view forces periscope view closed
Fixed a bug where negative ballast not applied if player sub riding too high in the water, prevented submerging
default/hud/default.txt added [ESM Meter] colour variables to aid readability of ESM meter
Switching a wire guided torpedo from passive to active now works
Fixed towed array calculations for AI vessels
Crew voices added to audio/voices folder and implemented
Anechoic coating decreases active torpedo sensor range by 50%
Reference manual now opens to current signature profile
Spec Ops team now deploys at under 5 knots, rather than at stop
Increased TLAM cruise altitude to 300 to assist with terrain avoidance
TLAM homing in on target (activate in red circle) now provides log message
Land strike complete message displayed in log once all required TLAMs homing (activate in red circle)
Mini-map display now correctly offset when bottom left panel is moved by editing default/hud/default.txt
Enemy surface ships no longer deploy chaff or fire CIWS guns at land attacking missiles

Campaign
MapTimeCompression set globally and synced with pausing, briefings, summary, events, campaign menu, new sub assignment and campaign end
Port reload/unload/Spec Ops time required labels corrected for difficulty level modifiers
Verified subsystem displayed repair times take into account difficulty level modifiers
campaign_data.txt CampaignPoints and CampaignStart points values doubled for both campaigns to increase their length
Fixed a possible mismatch of player weapons in tubes which might cause some downstream bugs
Restructured EndLevel() in attempt to minimise impact of unknown bug
Fixed a bug where missing a mission caused all subsequent radio messages to state failed, even if won
Corrected all LAND_STRIKE missions to require 8 weapons fired at deployment zone
New Holy Loch background added for both campaigns
Fixed a bug where entering combat near/between two (or more) ports broke mission (blank blue underwater screen)
Fixed a bug where null minefields were trying to be checked with nav sonar
Campaign summary now correctly tracks completed land strike and insertion missions
Exit mission menu now displays whether land strike or insertion mission is complete

--

Now all you need is "Command Nothren Inferno, Chains of War, CMANO or Harpoon" and you will be in Naval Warfare heaven!  For sim, 688i, Sub Command or Dangerous Waters.

Ahoy Skipper! 

Edited by Red2112

Really starting to take an interest in this sim

Two things are stopping me pulling the trigger on this sim time and the fact i know sod all about navel warfare.

Other then shoot and scoot like a ATGM team/vehicle.LoL  

Edited by Marko

1 hour ago, mpow66m said:

youll liike it

I think you'll like it too, Marko. No need to transfer commision; this game was made with Army third grade simplicity (remember, I said "With all due respect" ;)). The graphics are awesome, the Soviet ships are glorious, and I even get excited about the alternating splash screens. Very nostalgic and fun.

20 hours ago, Lt DeFault said:

(That is...when my wife is not playing ESO, because I only have one Steam account.) xD

Well, I figured out that if I just launch the game directly from the .exe instead of through Steam, I can play CW while she plays ESO. B|

(Note: The .exe can be found at: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Cold Waters". I just dropped a shortcut to it on my Start Menu.)