Welcome to Steelbeasts.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Captain_Colossus

wheat fields

there are files for wheat and wheat fields (called wheat wall if i remember correctly) in the textures directory, but i don't think that they are available in the map editor as grasses or bushes as ground cover; is it just a mishap or are they not intended?

it seems there are a few plant types in the textures file directory that don't get mapped into the map editor, one is the wheat field wall; i thought

it would be nice to see wheat fields, so i sacrificed a bush type file and renamed the wheat field to that bush to see what it would look like. while

it did show up, it was disappointing, it didn't look right. to small and sparse even with all the detail sliders cranked.

i may try again with a different bush or grass type, but i think it would be essential to have wheat fields in steel beasts,

those are just nearly everywhere in most countries.

wheat_field_wall.copy.jpg

The addition of such a crop into SB would be great. One of the greatest joys of having been with SB since the beginning has been watching the evolution of this program, albeit from the sidelines. Thank you for giving this a go. I know you will be successful in its implementation erelong.

As I understand it from Ssnake, individual objects impose a computational burden of their own in the calculation of line of sight by non player controlled crew members/units - therefore it makes sense to have as few objects as possible. Could a wheat field be implemented as an object? I realise this would not be as pretty, but it would not slow the game down perceptibly.

While we are working on improving the visuals, our development priorities are currently focused on other areas - high-res terrain, and related pathfinding issues. General performance is also of concern, always; happens to be the hardest nut to crack. So, we're chippin' away at the problem, one CPU cycle at a time.