Your favourite three SB vehicles of all time.

ChrisWerb

I was curious as to what other players consider their favourite vehicles and why. I am having a hard time quantifying why I like my top three, but I'll have a go.

1. Spahpanzer 2 Luchs A2: This is the hardest to quantify. It's not that great on mobility, firepower or troop carrying ability and its gun is unstabilised. It also (IIRC) doesn't have an APDS-T option unlike the Marder and carries far less ammunition than the latter vehicle (the Rh202 was primarily for limited protection, presumably). For all that, I just think it's cute and I have had a whale of a time playing it.  I operate them a two vehicle section. I find I can sneak up on enemies and have the two scouts pop out of the vehicle to look over crests or out of woodland etc. I give them rifle grenades and an AT weapon and a perhaps improbable 4 reloads so they can inflict pain of their own. As far as I know it was never used in combat, so can only be used in speculative scenarios, but since they take place in an era that really interests me, that is not a problem.
  2. Marder 1A3: This is the most fun IFV to play. A really well balanced vehicle. There are a few downsides to it in that you can't mount the MILAN (the reason for this was explained a while back) and the HEI-T ammo is a bit too lethal (known bug, being worked on by ESimGames) but it's fast, has reasonable armour for its time period and role, relatively great firepower vs its potential opposition and is easy to hit with - I get far quicker times on target with this by watching fall of shot with the Marder than with vehicles that have much bigger cannon and LRFs. German infantry are well armed with ATGW, AT weapons and RGs. The vehicle covers quite a time span, especially if you let it substitute for earlier variants - albeit the mechanised vs mechanised scenarios are still speculative. A real bundle of fun!
  3. Leopard 1A4. This is the hardest to quantify. It's obviously less technologically advanced than later Leopards and Abrams, but it just makes me smile, particularly as I do a lot of late Cold War scenarios. A really fun vehicle to play as commander, gunner or driver. I prefer the reload arrangements to the Abrams and the means of generating dynamic lead seems more intuitive than either system used with M1 variants. It also looks Teutonic and "warry" as do most former W. German vehicles.

T-72B1 1985

A Soviet vehicle that can eat most HEAT rounds and can be pretty dangerous even to fairly modern Western armor if it's used properly.

M2A2

If set up in a doctrinally correct way then they and their infantry can engage enemy armor from between 4.5k to 0m. A platoon of those set up in preferred terrain would be deadly for any force attempting to attack through them. For someone who occasionally enjoys using infantry the M2 is a lovely little thing.

Technicals

No  armor, small, fast, and can be fitted with most weapons, including Milans and TOWs. Whats not to like? There is a reason they have been used by lightly armed forces since the 1980s to now. If armed with ATGMs they can be deadly in the tank hunting role as the Libyans found out in Chad.

6 hours ago, TankHunter said:

M2A2

If set up in a doctrinally correct way then they and their infantry can engage enemy armor from between 4.5k to 0m. A platoon of those set up in preferred terrain would be deadly for any force attempting to attack through them. For someone who occasionally enjoys using infantry the M2 is a lovely little thing.

Unless they made all new ammo for it, no M3A2 or M2A2 can engage Armor targets 4.5 km out.  Max eff range of a tow 2 is 3750 meters, AP 1900 and he round 3000  meters.  :)

my three fav are:

M3A2 (of course since I was on Bradley for 18 of my 22 year in military)

M1A1

M60A3

1 hour ago, RENEGADE-623 said:

Unless they made all new ammo for it, no M3A2 or M2A2 can engage Armor targets 4.5 km out.  Max eff range of a tow 2 is 3750 meters, AP 1900 and he round 3000  meters.  :)

my three fav are:

M3A2 (of course since I was on Bradley for 18 of my 22 year in military)

M1A1

M60A3

We got the new wireless missiles which have a 4.5k range.

• 4 weeks later...

Shot'Kal. Simple technology, accurate main gun, and pintle mount for 7.62mm or .50 caliber machine gun. It's slow speed means that scenario areas don't have to be very large, and its lack of thermals means closer, more intense engagements. Overall, a simple but fun machine that makes players focus on the basics of tanking. I hope we see the introduction of more older vehicles like this. 

NZLAV. Wheels, 25mm Bushmaster, pintle mounted 7.62 machine gun, and dismounts. Great vehicle for both conventional and unconventional themed scenarios. A quick vehicle that can get in and out of a bad situation and has just enough firepower to defend itself against light armor, or even the odds with some AT dismounts. I look forward to the addition of more wheeled vehicles, and I hope we can see an expansion on the AMV line with the 40mm variant.

Infantry. I have my gripes with the lack of player control with Rifle Squads and Snipers, but I also absolutely love the way Steel Beasts manages it's infantry. In first/third person, an entire squad (up to 15-men) will follow your lead and stick with you. In map or overhead mode, the Squad goes exactly where you tell it to go. No other game manages Infantry like this; ArmA 3, sometimes referred to as an Infantry Simulator, doesn't even come close to the precision and ease of Infantry management that Steel Beasts has - it's AI will get lost and confused on even short simple movements.

In terms of effectiveness, SB Infantry have become more effective and lethal throughout the years, particularly with the addition of playable crew served weapons, ATGMs, Automatic Grenade Launchers, Underslung Grenade Launchers, and mortars. A battlefield without Infantry is unrealistic, I'm glad eSim acknowledges this, and I can't wait to see more improvements and additions to the infantry in the future.

Agreed that infantry are fun to play and add a lot to the sim. Apocalypse 31, this may be heresy, but have you looked at "Squad"? I have only watched videos of it and it looks (to my civilian eye) more realistic in gameplay and effects than ARMA. My only gripe with it is the unrealistic speed at which sandbagged fortifications can be built.

T-62 / T-72  - Ed's idling sounds and requires more skill in its use.

Challenger 2 - Crusty's Idling sounds and it looks like a hover tank

Chieftain - 'cos its Chieftain.

Honourable mentions

M60  it looks like a tank very cold war era As close as we have to the M48

M1IP - fast nippy witha good gun

T-55 - M60's foil

1. CV9040B - because I love mech Inf and it is a excellent IFV that packs a punch and easy to use.
2. Marder 1A3 - because.. FINALLY PLAYABLE! as old PBV302 gunner I feel really comfortable with how to shoot with the marders FCS and I love its armor, what I dont like is its slow speed sometimes...

3. Wisent AEV - Well I AM a combat engineer, how can I not love it?

1-Jaguar.  Love this AFV, in the far past , this was used a lot in the Sim, now not so much. I think I may have mentioned to V that this as all TOW AFV'S should be playable for the gunner station, but if not , another shout out for the Jag.

2-Leo1A5. Basic gunnery features of the cold war, and skills required to use in cold war type missions.

3.INF. I would echo the above, their better, more deadly, and the overhead option , I feel make them more effective to control.

Note: If the Merk Cheif, Leclerc become playable I will reconsider.

Oh, great topic:)

Edited by 12Alfa
spelling from a old fart

29 minutes ago, 12Alfa said:

1-Jaguar.  Love this AFV, in the far past , this was used a lot in the Sim, now not so much. I think I may have mentioned to V that this as all TOW AFV should be playable for the gunner station, but if not , another shout out for the Jag.

2-Leo1A5. Basic gunnery features of the cold war, and skills required to use in cold war type missions.

3.INF. I would echo the above, they better, more deadly, and the overhead option , I feel make them more effective to control.

Note: If the Merk Cheif, Leclerc become playable I will reconsider.

Oh, great topic:)

Depends which Jaaaaag*

The Jaaaaaaaaaag* 1 had the HOT

The Jaaaaaaaaaag* 2 had the TOW

*as the Jaguar is also a swinger's car the "a" should be drawn out and inferred as sleazily as possible.  :P

Edited by Hedgehog

1: T-72M1: nothing like doing a massed soviet assault on an unsuspecting enemy position. mowing down infantry from behind a berm with the NSV-T, the sound of the autoloader, and the fact the damn TC has no control over what you load into the cannon. want me to load HEAT? НЕТ, ИДИ НА ХУЙ!

2: M2A2 bradley with TOW-2B. it's just fun popping arian uberpanzers and sepjuices with this thing, while all they can do is sit back and curse. 

3:VBIED. there's just something about successfully mission killing a tank using a skoda favorit. 

M1A2 Sep - still love my modern high tech  tanks. this ones my favorite.

M60A3 TTS - for cold war scenarios. I just like how on the exterior its retro tank ( Steel armor) but on the inside its reffitted with digital FCS, and a good thermal sight for its day.

T-72B1 1985 - WHen playing as Soviets. Stillfun having control as gunner, and not having Commande telling me what to do. Plus it can eat HEAT due to ERA ( Kontact 1)  and its the only Soviet Playable tank thus far that has an acceptable enough "FCS" for me to want to sim in in a 80s cold war setting. Still no dynamic Leading like nato tanks,  but at least it displayed for the gunner in the corner how much lead he has to apply when lasing so intuition and guesstimating isn't necessary.

Edited by Kev2go

Hm, can I list more than 3?

Lots of my favorites are cold war era vehicles...

The M1's are all similar, but I think the IPM1 is a particular favorite of mine.  With modern APFSDS ammo (M833, M900) it's got an effective gun, and the armor doesn't make you invincible but it seems to take a good beating.

The Leopard2A4 is probably a second favorite, specifically because it is NOT the cutting edge hypermodern tank that other are.  It's what I think of when I picture late 80's W.German armor, late cold war scenarios, etc.  It's all business and it's good at it...

Third place is a tie between the Leopard2A4 (AS1 repainted and waiting for all eternity for ssnake to incorporate a passive IR night vision mode...) and the M60A3 TTS, since they're really the underdog tanks of a 1980s scenario.

M1A2SEP - Because of armor + the FCS is just sweet. :) (Would be cool to have M1A2SEPv2... or M1A2SEPv3 one day + version with ERA mounted on sides)

M1A1HA - Because of armor + FCS is easy to use and intuitive altough a bit dated. (Also would be cool to have M1A1SA also with ERA mounted)

M2A2 - Because it's a very good IFV, especially firepower wise. (Eh if we could only have version with ERA, or M2A3)