armor charts graphic meanings and blowing the ammo

wildbillkelsoe

I'd like to know what the armor values mean in the pictures of M1A1 frontal view marked with different colors.

Also, I want to know which part to hit for the ammo to explode without popping off turret. It happens randomly? Like the tank is moving and I fire, then a flame like a lighter appears from the top and its very satisfying, unlike the turret popping off effect. Any effects libraries to download too for more effects?

The values depict the estimated line of of sight thickness of the armor at that point equivalent to a plate of Rolled Homogeneous Armor of the same dimension.  Compare to the Ammunition Data to get an idea of what will penetrate what.  As for ammo location, on most vehicles without compartmentalized storage ammo will be located below the turret ring and generally behind the front glacis to the driver's left or right.  And lastly, there is Captain Colossus' Particle Mod for the current particle system, but what I think you're looking for isn't available.  

Edited by MAJ_Fubar
sp

4 hours ago, MAJ_Fubar said:

The values depict the estimated line of of site thickness of the armor at that point equivalent to a plate of Rolled Homogeneous Armor of the same dimension.  Compare to the Ammunition Data to get an idea of what will penetrate what.  As for ammo location, on most vehicles without compartmentalized storage ammo will be located below the turret ring and generally behind the front glacis to the driver's left or right.  And lastly, there is Captain Colossus' Particle Mod for the current particle system, but what I think you're looking for isn't available.  

thanks buddy. so the black text is kinetic penetration, with numbers higher kinetically than specific armor values will enter that armor especially if slanted should the kinetic value be higher significantly? the orange one is incendiary effect and the red one is ?

For the particle system, its not really what I'm after as I want other effects like maybe the hit turret main gun collapses or the tires pop off from PCs if hit by small caliber, or maybe bullet holes on trucks.

There are no mods to this sim to achieve what you’re looking for. There are skins that can be used in place of the stock ones that ship with the game and there are some texture mods for fire, smoke and other visuals but there is nothing beyond that. Damage models don’t exist in ProPE for the vehicles other than smoke and fire rising from the dead unit and missing treads and the odd upside down turret laying on the ground beside a dead AFV. 

You might be looking, for Word of Tanks.

There is a huge damage model.  Its more detailed than anything I know of out there in the game space.  There aren't hit decals and 3D representation of damage or such if that is what you mean.

Edited by thewood

On 9/24/2017 at 6:32 PM, CalAB said:

There are no mods to this sim to achieve what you’re looking for. There are skins that can be used in place of the stock ones that ship with the game and there are some texture mods for fire, smoke and other visuals but there is nothing beyond that. Damage models don’t exist in ProPE for the vehicles other than smoke and fire rising from the dead unit and missing treads and the odd upside down turret laying on the ground beside a dead AFV. 

that's not a damage model, that's visual modeling of damage. steel beasts isn't big on visually modeling damage, but we do have 64 different states of damage affecting the performance of the vehicle in all sorts of ways. 

for tanks anyways, there isn't much you can damage. in some cases in real life a dead tank might look like a live tank, save for a tiny 2cm hole somewhere in the armour. 

Edited by dejawolf

On 2017-09-25 at 9:39 PM, dejawolf said:

that's not a damage model, that's visual modeling of damage.

I stand corrected 

On 2017-09-25 at 9:39 PM, dejawolf said:

In some cases in real life a dead tank might look like a live tank, save for a tiny 2cm hole somewhere in the armour. 

The inclusion of that type of damage modeling would be awesome