AI controlled unit line of sight vs trees.

ChrisWerb

Hi. I have had a few incidents in game that have led me to believe that the AI enemy can sometimes see through trees (even significant depths into forests) that a human gunner cannot see through. I know that minor terrain objects do not block AI line of sight due to the computational burden this would impose, but can the AI see straight through trees in game? (Either the forest type or individual/clustered trees)

Edited by ChrisWerb

• Members

IF a line of sight is there, no matter how small, a LOS check will be triggered. Depending on the circumstances the chance of spotting may be low, but IF the die roll returns "Yes, it's been spotted" the unit will be immediately identified and eventually be fired upon. Yes, it is a simplification. I'm not entirely happy about it, but the alternative would have been a Steel Beasts that could handle company scale scenarios at best. In the light of these two options (and yes, it's an "either - or" kind of choice, you can't have both), I rather take the simplified ID process.