M1A1 Instant Action make playable

wildbillkelsoe

So I play this mission where you are stranded in a minefield and cant move past the circle, and enemy are advancing on 

1) the remaining bridge

2) using bridge layers

and also you have FASCAM arty which apparently does not work when called as a fire mission

In this mission the enemy does not appear to have a finite number. Its like being a single tank against a battalion of a mix of BMDs, BMPs, T-72, T-80,...

Would it be possible to re-tailor it to have like only 15 vehicles to contend with, instead of the battalion versus one tank trapped in a minefield "Gauntlet" type of missions?

On October 28, 2017 at 4:06 AM, Bond_Villian said:

You should have a look at the Mission Editor wildbillkelsoe, its quite the sandbox :)

will do. I might set the total red to nine tanks but maybe diversify their routes. Also what really troubles me is that inside the minefield area, AI have reached me without a penalty while if I were to attempt to navigate even at slow speed I get blown to bits, meaning the minefield does not target red vehicles or the tank is set to explode outside zone, probably on a random timer or fixed time.

Can I use arty to blow a path through the minefield? Like, can artillery rounds blow up hidden mines?

51 minutes ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

will do. I might set the total red to nine tanks but maybe diversify their routes. Also what really troubles me is that inside the minefield area, AI have reached me without a penalty while if I were to attempt to navigate even at slow speed I get blown to bits, meaning the minefield does not target red vehicles or the tank is set to explode outside zone, probably on a random timer or fixed time.

Can I use arty to blow a path through the minefield? Like, can artillery rounds blow up hidden mines?

In that case, you should start from scratch and not try to modify the instant action scenario. (Is that even open for editing??)

Find a suitable map, put your tank in, and put in red units that suit you....

22 hours ago, Mogwa said:

Perhaps you would like the downloadable sce called "tanks" or one of its variants. It has a single M-1A1 against 9 T-series tanks on a small map, where you can maneuver all you wish.

HTH,

Mog

Its a great mission if you mean "tanks again!". I always get killed when passing outside the start location in this mission. It seems I need to map Shift+ Arrow keys to my hotas to tell the gunner traverse turret to left or right. I think if during traverse he spots something the turret freezes. I am currently also working my toes into arty but a few things come to mind with experimenting, left and right I think in meters of previous impacts. Add or drop is behind and before respectively, of previous impacts. What is baffling me is azimuth how can that be four digits in a 360° environment. Any pdfs on arty interface? the mils especially?

Edited by wildbillkelsoe

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2017 at 10:42 AM, Grenny said:

Instant action is meant to be that way... endless enemy waves till you're dead. You're not supposed to win. Its just a gunning exercise where the targets shoit back

You're not supposed to win them, true, but you can, if by winning we mean stopping the enemy until no more appear in sight. At least with the M1A2. That could probably be stopped (by Esim Games) by putting the spawn point somewhere where it can't be hit by direct fire through the woods, although it's possible lavish use of DPICM on its own on and around the spawn point could create a similar log jam. It's possible to deduce where the spawn point is by reviewing the AAR in World view. I know you know all that Grenny - this is for the new guy. Welcome by the way! :)

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Technically it's also not an "endless" stream of enemy, rather just "a rather large number".

Nils, I'm a single A1 against a division. Anyways, there is no option for FASCAM after spending 25 minutes in the mission. I read wiki and its only off-map. By "off-map", this means that there is no physical launcher to be targeted in the map? and if so, would you mind checking how to activate FASCAM in this mission? Is it triggered? if so which one? Also, its not available in the call support menu for arty.

• Members

We removed FASCAM support from some (or all) of the missions (because it made winning too easy), but may have failed to update the mission briefings (rationalize it as things going unexpectedly wrong in a combat situation; it happens). You can still fire ICM barrages and HE/smoke.

On 10/31/2017 at 9:07 PM, wildbillkelsoe said:

Its a great mission if you mean "tanks again!". I always get killed when passing outside the start location in this mission. It seems I need to map Shift+ Arrow keys to my hotas to tell the gunner traverse turret to left or right. I think if during traverse he spots something the turret freezes. I am currently also working my toes into arty but a few things come to mind with experimenting, left and right I think in meters of previous impacts. Add or drop is behind and before respectively, of previous impacts. What is baffling me is azimuth how can that be four digits in a 360° environment. Any pdfs on arty interface? the mils especially?

Imperial  vs metric azimuth, the old guard, and UK members have used deg, I think the standard now is Mils.

• Members

...the NATO mil, with is 6400 units per full circle.

The Soviet/Russian/Finnish mil is 6300 per full circle (!).

The mathematical millirad(ians) from which these approximations are derived is 2xPix1000 = 6283.185307.... (an irrational number).

So, the Russian mil approximation is 99.733% of the angular size of a millirad, NATO mils are 98.174%.

A 3.50m wide tank hull at exactly 1000m range would actually be 3.565 NATO mil wide ... but in practice you have far greater errors in other parts when trying to calculate range estimations, so the easier divisibility of 6400 by four (and many multiples of four) is a good compromise.