Jump to content
GT1070

M1 Tank Platoon, 1989 - 99 Missions

Recommended Posts

I recently re-read the entire Microprose M1Tank Platoon game manual on a long flight.  I read it because I recall it had some interesting stuff about Soviet vehicles, ground pressure, tactics, ammo, and so forth and I remembered correctly!  The manual was a good read!  It's gotten me interested in reinstalling the game and playing it in DosBox, which I haven't done just yet.

 

In the manual it describes how your platoon is ranked after mandatory retirement after 99 battles.  I don't remember if I ever actually made it to 99 battles.  It sounds like a WORTHY goal!!!!  If you guys need a break from Steel Beasts, try M1 Tank Platoon.  I consider it to be the first real computer tank simulation.  The absolute 1st realistic portrayal of tank combat on a PC, IMHO.

 

Who has made it to 99 battles?  

 

Who has has the guts to try?

 

Post your screenshots here!  I will as well....stay tuned!!!

image.png

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I loved playing M1 Tank Platoon around 1990...1992, and as much as it motivated me to get into the tank simulation game business in the first place, there's no way you could get me to play 99 battles again. The manual may have withstood age well, also maybe the core game mechanics. But the PC sound especially is atrocious (the Amiga version was much better in that respect, but there you had to deal with a digital joystick where on the PC you could have an analog stick, at least).

 

M1 Tank Platoon will always be an all time classic in the history of computer games for me, but ... it is a piece of history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

As much as I loved playing M1 Tank Platoon around 1990...1992, and as much as it motivated me to get into the tank simulation game business in the first place, there's no way you could get me to play 99 battles again. The manual may have withstood age well, also maybe the core game mechanics. But the PC sound especially is atrocious (the Amiga version was much better in that respect, but there you had to deal with a digital joystick where on the PC you could have an analog stick, at least).

M1 Tank Platoon will always be an all time classic in the history of computer games for me, but ... it is a piece of history.

+1

 

M1 will remain my favourite game of all time.

But I could not play it again ,For similar reasons

I still have the original manual as well.

the armour estimates for the soviet AFV's were to high but the manual was very well laid out.

I was a complete novice to armour when I bought the game.

the manual was worth the price of the game alone, it explained the basics very well.

 

Those T-80s and there reverse slop defence positions were a basxxxd to assault. LoL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gentlemen,

 

Those responses are disappointing....however, I understand your reasoning.  I may not be able to do it either but....I'M GONNA TRY!!!!! ? AAARRGGH!!

 

Completing 99 missions in 2017 would be legendary.  The ultimate "gameplay over eye candy" exercise! 

 

We'll see if I am all talk or not.  I am rebuilding an old Frankenstein desktop today and hope to install M1 Tank Platoon tonight.  

 

 

BTW, can you imagine how amazing it would be if that game were redone with all the original controls except with updated graphics to include rolling road wheels, actual M2 infantrymen, real smoke obscuration, etc.?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotareneg, you're 1/3 of the way there!  That's pretty good.  Be proud!

 

It took me all day Sunday to reinstall Windows 7, activate, update, install drivers, unpark cores, etc.  I just barely got the game up and running in DosBox.  I forgot about needing 386 prefetch CPU type in the config file. 

 

I'll post my progress, soon.  ....just need some time!

 

Yes, 99 missions is hardcore....you know, like running a marathon or climbing a mountain. I don't think I ever came close 25 some odd years ago when we were still running DOS!!

Edited by GT1070

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, back when the best flight simulator I had was Falcon 3.0, I'm pretty sure I completed hundreds of missions...

 

I'm sure it could be done if only you had nothing better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sitrep:

 

Computer re-built, configured, DosBox tweaked, and M1 Tank Platoon, 1989 runs!  I must have played the game a lot 20 years ago  because its all coming back.  Even the startup command, tank /o typed at the DOS prompt to keep your options.

 

5 missions down, 94 to go!  I figure if I play a little each day after work to unwind, I'll do it.  It's just a challenge...so far, nothing mind-numbing...the game is a lot of fun.

M1 Tank Platoon - 5 Battles.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made the 99 missions 5 times with my Atari in 1990-1991-1992-1993-1994. After I was a real tanker for 15 years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On November 5, 2017 at 4:11 AM, Froggy said:

I made the 99 missions 5 times with my Atari in 1990-1991-1992-1993-1994. After I was a real tanker for 15 years...

Froggy, that is an accomplishment game-wise and especially in real life!  So, it looked like you beat the game once a year for 5 years?!?!  Cool!

 

I was in an M-901 TOW Mech Infantry Company in the Guard when my father-in-law showed me M-1 Tank Platoon.  I was overwhelmed by it at first.  Believe it or not, I dismissed it because it looked too realistic to be fun!  Later, I became an M-3 Bradley Scout Platoon Leader in the Guard and started getting into the DOS version of the game on my own PC.  I don't think I ever "beat" M-1 Tank Platoon by completing 99 missions.  I recall I upgraded my computer to a Pentium in '95 and it wouldn't run anymore....I think that's why I abandoned it a started playing Armored Fist (which I beat many times).

 

I just started playing it again and remembered correctly that this simulation is GOOD!!!  I am also getting proficient at wiping the enemy out at around 3,000 meters from the gunners station.  I must be on mission 30 or 40 or so by now....there's no way to tell until I complete the campaign because I haven't been counting but I've been knocking em out...

 

I just think it's fun playing a simulation that's this old.  It still holds up!  I will send screenshots when I finally get time to do it.

Edited by GT1070

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completed many a campaign on my amiga version of M1.

I then moved on to M1TP2. personally I thought the original had better missions they seemed more difficult in comparison too TP2.

Then I found the original SB. Man that was a wake up call in-terms of game play and difficulty.

SB is the only SIM/Game I have never got bored playing.

Been playing it now for nearly twenty years and still find it a challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steel thunder on the commodore 64 was the first tank sim I used.   Loved it.  then had armored fist, that was too arcadish for me,

m1 tank platoon 2, but that was too easy to me.  then steel beasts.  Used steel beasts back when it first came out, but stopped because

I could never get he rounds near target.  then later down the road found out you had to hit a button to change the sight for the different rounds so loaded it back up, and haven't used anything else since

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On November 7, 2017 at 4:16 AM, Marko said:

I completed many a campaign on my amiga version of M1.

I then moved on to M1TP2. personally I thought the original had better missions they seemed more difficult in comparison too TP2.

Then I found the original SB. Man that was a wake up call in-terms of game play and difficulty.

SB is the only SIM/Game I have never got bored playing.

Been playing it now for nearly twenty years and still find it a challenge.

 

23 hours ago, RENEGADE-623 said:

Steel thunder on the commodore 64 was the first tank sim I used.   Loved it.  then had armored fist, that was too arcadish for me,

m1 tank platoon 2, but that was too easy to me.  then steel beasts.  Used steel beasts back when it first came out, but stopped because

I could never get he rounds near target.  then later down the road found out you had to hit a button to change the sight for the different rounds so loaded it back up, and haven't used anything else since

 

SB forum members who've reported COMPLETING 99 Missions so far:

 

1.  Froggy

2.  Marko - completed many a campaign...close enough.

3.  Ssnake - reported he couldn't play 99 missions again (which implies he's done it before - close enough)

4.  GT1070 - I'm working on it!!!???

 

Marko, RENEGADE-623, thanks for the input.  Tank games/sims on a PC or console are interesting to me.  I guess it's because they're a bit of a challenge.  Chess type strategy combined with hand eye coordination, and the need to memorize keyboard commands. They seem quite a bit more involved than playing say, Call of Duty.  (My son plays COD and it almost makes me motion sick!)

 

I don't think I've ever heard of "Steel Thunder" before but it sounds classic.  You are correct about "Armored Fist", it's designed to be more of an arcade game.  "Armored Fist" can be played as a sim only if you have the right joystick, then you can use the hat switch to move the reticle onto the target...it's obviously made to be a fast action game.  I will always love "Armored Fist", regardless and the manual was good as well.  (I don't like AF2 or AF3.  I don't like M1TP2, either....There's just nothing like the original games.)

 

The "Steel Beasts" gunnery range was very addictive!  I own SB1 and am going to reinstall it eventually and will give it another chance.  I admit I haven't given the mission construction or battles a chance in SB1 and I recall the manual for SB1 is absolutely outstanding as well!  The manual is gonna be re-read, soon!

 

But, back to the subject..."M1 Tank Platoon"!  I was wrong about not knowing how many missions I've played...its on the screen with the rest of your stats when you start a new game!!  I am on mission 38, by the way.  Oh, I am going to be mad if I get my platoon killed when I'm almost halfway to my goal!!  ...gotta keep the fingers near the Alt + e keys if I ever get down to one surviving tank so I can escape before dying!!!

 

To celebrate Veteran's Day, I hope to complete my 99 missions this Friday!  Let's see if I can do it!  Will post screenshots as I get closer!!!

Edited by GT1070

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that enybody really cares about this but I've been traveling at work and have not been able to complete my 99 missions.  However, all is not lost!  My platoon is still alive and I am on mission 50!

 

Happy Sunday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update for anybody interested....currently on mission 58.  This is taking waaaay longer than I thought!  The Platoon is still alive.  I completed one, maybe 2 campaigns, I forget.  At first I selected the easiest opposition which I think were second line troops.  It was too easy and now I'm facing first line troops even though the risk of platoon loss is a tad higher.

 

I've been a little distracted resurrecting two old desktop PCs for use with native DOS and Windows 98SE.  I didn't realize re-applying thermal paste, changing motherboard batteries, configuring and reinstalling the OS could be so much fun.  The desktops were doing nothing but collecting dust.  Now they're going to be ready to run M1 Tank Platoon 1 & 2, Armored Fist 1-3, and Steel Beasts 1!!!!

Edited by GT1070

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GT1070 said:

Update for anybody interested....currently on mission 58.  This is taking waaaay longer than I thought!  The Platoon is still alive.  I completed one, maybe 2 campaigns, I forget.  At first I selected the easiest opposition which I think were second line troops.  It was too easy and now I'm facing first line troops even though the risk of platoon loss is a tad higher.

 

I've been a little distracted resurrecting two old desktop PCs for use with native DOS and Windows 98SE.  I didn't realize re-applying thermal paste, changing motherboard batteries, configuring and reinstalling the OS could be so much fun.  The desktops were doing nothing but collecting dust.  Now they're going to be ready to run M1 Tank Platoon 1 & 2, Armored Fist 1-3, and Steel Beasts 1!!!!

Kudos for getting it to run again.

If possible could you video some of the battles it would be fun to watch again.

I remember back in the day playing M1 all night then going to work the next day with just a couple of hours sleep.

 

 

.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Marko!!

 

No, Ataribaby is not me!  I 100% can relate to setting up the old machine, though.  I am ressurecting old desktops for that purpose now.  FWIW:  The Dell 8200 will run WinXP for running SB and T-72 Balkans on Fire, Win98SE for running Armored Fist 2 and 3, and fully capable native DOS for Armored Fist 1 and M1 Tank Platoon (using the p5upd speed lock) An ES1371 PCI soundcard/gameport gets everything working together!!!  I have a triple boot going with XP and DOS on one HDD and Win98SE on a separate HDD!!!

 

Tank sim players should look at it this way, these ground combat programs are kinda like chess...if the gameplay is good, it doesn't matter what the chess pieces look like or what the chess board looks like or what music is playing, etc. etc. you get the idea.

 

I am one of the few players who is all over Armored Fist 1994.  That game has it all if you get your joystick configured to target manually and forget the "target lock" function.  The mission editor is cool as well.  The pre-canned missions are a challenge.  Man, that game is it for me.  I enjoy all the others but for me Armored Fist 94 will always be king.  I know most do not feel that way.  That's ok.

 

I am on Mission 60 of M1 Tank Platoon because I've been distracted with World of Tanks, Armored Warfare, and other games.  Good stuff!!!  I'll post something when I hit the 99 mark assuming I don't get the platoon killed within the next 39 missions!!!  You're right too....I need to record the gameplay on DOSBOX....I haven't even tried how to do that yet but I'd like to show you guys some action.

 

 

60 battles 12-08-2017.jpg

 

Armored Fist Screenshot1.bmp

Edited by GT1070

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow....I just blew it.  Lessons learned:

 

1.  You can easily make it to 99 missions if you play like a punk and only fight "2nd-line" troops.

2.  You will most likely make it to 99 if you fight "1st line" troops.

3.  If you choose "Veteran" or higher...well, you'd better be prepared to die. (like I just did)

 

I will attempt this again after a little break.  64 battles....not bad, huh?  Especially since it's almost 2018 and I'm still playing M1 Tank Platoon!

Dead Stats.jpg

Dead.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×