WoT, AW, and other tank games that are an irrelevant tangent on a support case

Gibsonm

Moved and renamed by the admins.

Blaze away.

BTW, the original post was in response to a Russian Anti Virus product removing/blocking SB.

My comment (perhaps too obscure) was meant to suggest that as it was Russian Anti Viral software it would remove anything that wasn't Russian. WoT was a random choice, could have been WoW or WoA or anything else coming from Russia.

Edited by Gibsonm

12 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

What did you expect from a Russian product.

Probably deletes anything that isn't WoT. ;)

WOT is a great stress reliever and its a different class of game.

Its cannot and should not be compared to SB. I am not sure why folks do that.

Steel Beasts is not a "game", is it?  It's first and foremost a simulation for training soldiers, no?  Armor enthusiasts love it, but comparing that to World of Tanks is laughable.

World of Tanks and Armored Warfare are fun and look great on the computer.  Playing them is a nice break, they have their place on my hard drive!

• Members

Exactly, I see no reason why one wouldn't be able to enjoy both. That being said, the whining about certain business and game mechanism decisions ("gold spamming", "artillery imbalance", "maps forcing predictable behavior", "grinding") that I'm reading about elsewhere fills me both with mild amusement ... some anger at the same time when those complaining about all this don't even want to look at SB which suffers from none of these issues (but has no automatic multiplayer game session management).

Maybe the complaints are hyperbolic. Not that this has ever happened before on the interwebs.

7 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Exactly, I see no reason why one wouldn't be able to enjoy both. That being said, the whining about certain business and game mechanism decisions ("gold spamming", "artillery imbalance", "maps forcing predictable behavior", "grinding") that I'm reading about elsewhere fills me both with mild amusement ... some anger at the same time when those complaining about all this don't even want to look at SB which suffers from none of these issues (but has no automatic multiplayer game session management).

Maybe the complaints are hyperbolic. Not that this has ever happened before on the interwebs.

My personal opinion on that:

I think there is a fundametaly different motivation for playing Steelbeasts then Warthunder , World of tanks and the like. Steelbeasts players IMO come more from a wargamers perspective, and are interested in the RL tactial aspects of mechanized warfare. The players of the latter mentioned "tank"-games come from a first person shooter perspective of player vs players gaming.

The the game avatars looks like tanks, is just pure coincidence. Also tanks are "sexy", and this sells. The successful buisness of worlds of tanks shows that.

They want:

-quick action

-rankings to compare themselves against other players

-a progression and status symbols (here in the form of "better" tank models)

These game deliver all that, plus a "game lore" where knowledge of arcane game mechanics and minute details in the vehicle armour models  give the player an advantage.(rivet counters heaven)

As steelbeasts runs on different factors, I doubts many players of the "tanky games" will ever develop and interesst for it. 

4 hours ago, Grenny said:

What do you mean with ricochets? 

I mean if I fire on an angled turret, looking sideways, will my round bounce off the plate? 

4 hours ago, TSe419E said:

I have killed tanks when a shot I fired landed short and went through the belly of my target after the sabot ricocheted off the ground.

Interesting. Considering the ricochet took all energy, must have been a HEAT?

2 hours ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

Interesting. Considering the ricochet took all energy, must have been a HEAT?

I suspect the sabot round would still retain a fair bit of energy.

As for HEAT / HEASH then depending on how hard the item was, it probably would have detonated, rather than ricochet.

11 hours ago, Ssnake said:

from heart of darkness: 'he hated all this, yet he could not turn away.'

basically it's people's behavior which says more about themselves then what they say. people complain about gamey behavior like spawn camping, yet they still play while they complain. that really does probably indicate more that despite their complaints, that is the type of game they would prefer to play, otherwise they wouldn't be playing it. it's not that much different that despite some bugs in steel beasts, we still play it, because that is our bag, baby.

i still think that generally the idea that if you build it they will come is valid: those who are interested in steel beasts will naturally come to that on their own if that's really what they're after it. some allude that the price tag is off putting, these folks are still not necessarily the core audience if they're on the fence like that. if steel beasts is not pull down a mass market appeal like those games, i think that's because the mass market has largely voted with their behavior, that is what generally we should expect.

it's not to say that there isn't going to be some crossover going both ways, but generally like attracts like, and it sorts itself out

1 hour ago, Captain_Colossus said:

from heart of darkness: 'he hated all this, yet he could not turn away.'

basically it's people's behavior which says more about themselves then what they say. people complain about gamey behavior like spawn camping, yet they still play while they complain. that really does probably indicate more that despite their complaints, that is the type of game they would prefer to play, otherwise they wouldn't be playing it. it's not that much different that despite some bugs in steel beasts, we still play it, because that is our bag, baby.

i still think that generally the idea that if you build it they will come is valid: those who are interested in steel beasts will naturally come to that on their own if that's really what they're after it. some allude that the price tag is off putting, these folks are still not necessarily the core audience if they're on the fence like that. if steel beasts is not pull down a mass market appeal like those games, i think that's because the mass market has largely voted with their behavior, that is what generally we should expect.

it's not to say that there isn't going to be some crossover going both ways, but generally like attracts like, and it sorts itself out

+1