Ending in RAR plus PLN

73A

Hello

I am new to all this and computer are not my best subject , I have down loaded  SEC files. into my mission folder.

But can any  one  tell me the mission files  ending RAR  and, PLN files, how do l open them in steel beast missions ,when l copy them across they are not there ?

Paul

If a file is type .zip or .rar  then you need to 'unpack' it to use the contents. Download a program that can do this. I use winRAR, heres a link to a page where you can download winRAR; https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm  .  Use this program to 'unpack' the missions you downloaded from this site , and place the .sce type files into your scenario directory ( it will probably be in a location like this ;    C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\My Scenarios). 

Good luck.

• Members

PLN files can be loaded in the planning phase of a mission (that is, when you loaded the scenario but haven't hit the "start" button yet). Note that PLN files may not always work with a scenario if that scenario has been altered after the PLN file was created.

As to where the files are supposed to go, please check the user's manual, chapter 2 ("Installation"), the section about the file structure. Boring, but essential.

• 3 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:40 AM, Ssnake said:

PLN files can be loaded in the planning phase of a mission (that is, when you loaded the scenario but haven't hit the "start" button yet). Note that PLN files may not always work with a scenario if that scenario has been altered after the PLN file was created.

As to where the files are supposed to go, please check the user's manual, chapter 2 ("Installation"), the section about the file structure. Boring, but essential.

Hi Ssnake,

I too am at a loss as what folder holds the PLN files. I downloaded both the SB pro and original SB manual. There is no mention of PLN files. What do you mean by, "PLN files can be loaded in the planning phase of a mission"? I don't know what PLN files do, if I need to 'load' them for a scenario to run correctly and, if I need to,..  how to 'LOAD' them. Could someone explain? 

A plan file lets someone develop a plan (graphics, unit locations, etc.) and then import it for a given mission.

In terms of where to put it, you can just put it in the "My Scenarios" folder, e.g.:

C:\Users\mark\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\My Scenarios  - note your path will not be identical to this as I suspect your user account is not "mark".

If you create lots of them then you can create a sub folder within "My Scenarios" and store them there, e.g.:

C:\Users\mark\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\My Scenarios\aPlan files

In terms of usage here is an example, from the recent Rolling Thunder activity:

Scenario File:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZMKp87Z2YqCFvt7B9RHRga33eR67yoGd5e7

Plan File:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZfyt87ZNrBN8chr7qzgMHORLTNAF4QfEjdk

Step 1: Download both files into "My Scenarios"

Step 2: Start session

Step 3: Load the scenario file (first link)

Step 4: Select Terrain - and you'll see the default set up. From memory all of Blue is setup in review order on the airfield.

Step 5: Before you hit "Start", select "Load saved plan" from the File menu (Top left hand corner)

Step 6: Select the second file you downloaded.

Step 7: The units on the map will move and a bunch of graphics will appear - this being my plan for that mission.

Where plan files are useful is where you are in command of a multi player mission or your are one of a couple of commanders.

For example, you are commanding a multi-player mission and you have some time to do planning (I'm not talking about when you are at say TGIF, you are pinged as the Commander and have 10 minutes).

You can open the scenario, develop a plan, generate graphics, etc. and save that as a "plan file".

Then when you assemble to run the event you can load your plan file, right click on one of the graphics and select send all and all the other players in the mission will have your graphics.

Example 2: You command Cbt Team A and someone else commands Cbt Team B, both on Blue.

You can create your plan file and save it, then PM or email it to the person running B. They can then load your plan file and add their specific graphics, etc. This can then be saved as a combined Plan File reflecting both A and B's plans.

You can then load the plan file once and everyone in Cbt Team A and Cbt Team B will receive the same set of graphics.

Edited by Gibsonm

6 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

A plan file lets someone develop a plan (graphics, unit locations, etc.) and then import it for a given mission.

In terms of where to put it, you can just put it in the "My Scenarios" folder, e.g.:

C:\Users\mark\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\My Scenarios  - note your path will nt be identical to this as I suspect your user account is not "mark".

If you create lots of them then you can create a sub folder within "My Scenarios" and store them there, e.g.:

C:\Users\mark\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\My Scenarios\aPlan files

In terms of usage here is an example, from the recent Rolling Thunder activity:

Scenario File:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZMKp87Z2YqCFvt7B9RHRga33eR67yoGd5e7

Plan File:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZfyt87ZNrBN8chr7qzgMHORLTNAF4QfEjdk

Step 1: Download both files into "My Scenarios"

Step 2: Start session

Step 3: Load the scenario file (first link)

Step 4: Select Terrain - and you'll see the default set up. From memory all of Blue is setup in review order on the airfield.

Step 5: Before you hit "Start", select "Load saved plan" from the File menu (Top left hand corner)

Step 6: Select the second file you downloaded.

Step 7: The units on the map will move and a bunch of graphics will appear - this being my plan for that mission.

Where plan files are useful is where you are in command of a multi player mission or your are one of a couple of commanders.

For example, you are commanding a multi-player mission and you have some time to do planning (I'm not talking about when you are at say TGIF, you are pinged as the Commander and have 10 minutes).

You can open the scenario, develop a plan, generate graphics, etc. and save that as a "plan file".

Then when you assemble to run the event you can load your plan file, right click on one of the graphics and select send all and all the other players in the mission will have your graphics.

Example 2: You command Cbt Team A and someone else commands Cbt Team B, both on Blue.

You can create your plan file and save it, then PM or email it to the person running B. They can then load your plan file and add there specific graphics, etc. This can then be saved as a combined Plan File reflecting both A and B's plans.

You can then load the plan file once and everyone in Cbt Team A and Cbt Team B will receive the same set of graphics.

Wow, thanks Gibsonm.

Your explanation should be kept as a forum 'sticky'. Your answer is very easy to read and understand. Very informative !!

Wax

Hi Gibsonm,

apologize for not answering sooner, I was made a Grandfather to a 9lb 7oz boy yesterday. WooHoo.

Yup, I followed your instructions and the units were resorted and routes appeared after I clicked on the pln file you posted.

NOW I get it. Thanks!!

Wax

34 minutes ago, Wax Savage said:

Hi Gibsonm,

apologize for not answering sooner, I was made a Grandfather to a 9lb 7oz boy yesterday. WooHoo.

Yup, I followed your instructions and the units were resorted and routes appeared after I clicked on the pln file you posted.

NOW I get it. Thanks!!

Wax

congrats!!

On April 13, 2018 at 6:12 PM, Wax Savage said:

Hi Gibsonm,

NOW I get it. Thanks!!

Wax

congratulations. perhaps a nick change to gramps is in order?🍻

On 4/13/2018 at 1:12 PM, Wax Savage said:

Hi Gibsonm,

NOW I get it. Thanks!!

Wax

congrats!