Can you still buy a DVD copy/printed manual?

brainrotter

• Members

We have withheld a new production batch mostly for two reasons,

• the new terrain engine, originally scheduled for summer 2016, would require a rewrite of significant parts of the manual
  • the new terrain engine will bring a split of installers, one for the program code, and a separate one for the maps

It took longer than expected, unfortunately.

My workaround advice for people with really bad internet connections: Download in an internet café, print the current PDF manual in a copy shop. Not a great option, I give you that, but maybe not the worst thing either if downloading 5 x 600 MByte is absolutely no option for you. Eventually we will make a new production run, I'm just hesitant to order it now when we expect it to become obsolete in less than a year.

5 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

We have withheld a new production batch mostly for two reasons,

• the new terrain engine, originally scheduled for summer 2016, would require a rewrite of significant parts of the manual
  • the new terrain engine will bring a split of installers, one for the program code, and a separate one for the maps

It took longer than expected, unfortunately.

My workaround advice for people with really bad internet connections: Download in an internet café, print the current PDF manual in a copy shop. Not a great option, I give you that, but maybe not the worst thing either if downloading 5 x 600 MByte is absolutely no option for you. Eventually we will make a new production run, I'm just hesitant to order it now when we expect it to become obsolete in less than a year.

Oh, all right. Guess I'll go for a time-limited license until the physical options are again made available.

• Members

Well, we would always offer the DVD and manual as separate items that you could order independently from the license. I mean, what good is a time-based license when you have to download the installation files anyway (your first post suggested that this would be a problem)?

So, the decision to go for one license type or the other should be made independently from the question whether physical media are up for sale. Chances are, before we start the actual production we'll offer a preorder option so we can better estimate production lot size. Most likely there will be a special preorder bundle offer.

1 minute ago, Ssnake said:

Well, we would always offer the DVD and manual as separate items that you could order independently from the license. I mean, what good is a time-based license when you have to download the installation files anyway (your first post suggested that this would be a problem)?

That's true. Does the time-based license still include 3.0? My machine meets 4.0's minimum requirements, but I'm not sure what kind of framerate I'll get.

• Members
9 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

There are CodeMeter dongles that include flash memory. Perhaps an option to buy SB with the current installer already on the flash drive might be a good idea considering how optical drives are becoming more and more uncommon, particularly among laptops.

Have you looked at the prices?

Last time I checked the cheapest stick with memory was 70 Euros. If it were only marginally more costly than what we're paying I would consider it.

22 hours ago, brainrotter said:

^Topic. I'm ready to pull the trigger on SB Pro, but I noticed that those options have disappeared from the order page as of 4.0. I'm interested in them since my internet speed isn't the greatest, and a physical manual would be incredibly handy.

brainrotter, are you based in the UK? I'm happy to burn the 4.023 dowload to a dvd and send it to you if that would help.

4 hours ago, Crusty said:

brainrotter, are you based in the UK? I'm happy to burn the 4.023 dowload to a dvd and send it to you if that would help.

US, unfortunately, but thank you. I'll probably camp out at my local library on Saturday and use their wireless.

6 hours ago, brainrotter said:

US, unfortunately, but thank you. I'll probably camp out at my local library on Saturday and use their wireless.

Well depending on where in the US, there maybe a Forum member who is local to you and happy to burn a DVD for you?

Then you just need to RV at the Library, Coffee Shop, Diner, Bar, ... to collect it and you can buy them a beverage to thank them for their efforts?

Edited by Gibsonm