TGIF 2018: scenario list, discussion, and house rules

Volcano

• Moderators

INTENT:

We are trying something new this year and we put all the "battle tested" scenarios into a list, and then randomly shuffled that list to create a TGIF play list. We are going down that list in order, choosing the next scenario to play from it rather than picking on a whim.

Rather than post the list here (because the list can/will change throughout the year), a post will be created here before each Friday mentioning the scenario that will be played. You can then download the scenario and decide if you want to CO (post here if you want to take it), otherwise whoever volunteers on Friday will be the CO.

CO GUIDELINES:

Basic guidelines as to who can volunteer as CO from week to week. The intent is solely to afford everyone the opportunity to CO:

• No one may volunteer to be a CO back-to-back TGIFs. That is, if Mr. X volunteers to CO this week, he cannot volunteer to CO next week, but he can volunteer the week after that (every other TGIF). EXCEPTION: if a scenario requires more than two COs (i.e. because it has more than two sides) then there is no restriction on volunteering back-to-back with the previous TGIF.
  • If no one volunteers to be the CO, then anyone can CO at the time of the event. So, in the example above, Mr. X can CO again that next TGIF if no one volunteers during the week.

TGIF HOUSE RULES:

There will always be bugs in software and Steel Beasts is no exception. More-so, functionality that exists in the Pro version which has carried over into Pro PE often creates unforeseen situations which allow for abuse and unrealistic behavior. To counter this, there are "TGIF HOUSE RULES" which are basically a set of ethical rules to allow "fair and realistic play" to keep scenarios from bogging down into the morass of shame. The House Rules are as follows (and the list may grow over time):

1. DO NOT adjust the number of rounds per tube when calling off-map artillery strikes, because they currently have unlimited ammunition so it creates ridiculous situations. (Using number of rounds per tube with on-map artillery is fine because they are delivered differently and have finite ammunition.) If you want a long off-map artillery strike, just keep repeating it.   //no longer necessary, now all off-map artillery barrages are capped at a 2 minute max duration.
  2. DO NOT adjust the duration when calling off-map artillery strikes -- for the same reason as rule #1. Also, like rule #1, setting the duration for on-map artillery strikes is OK. If you want a long off-map artillery strike, just keep repeating it.   //no longer necessary, now all off-map artillery barrages are capped at a 2 minute max duration.
  3. DO NOT use support vehicles (supply vehicles, bridge layers, maintenance vehicles) for reconnaissance.
  4. DO NOT study the enemy's side in the scenario in the Mission Editor AT ALL. You can open it and look at both sides, but do not touch anything or evaluate the reinforcement criteria, events, conditions, routes and waypoints. Looking at the enemy side to get an idea of what they have is acceptable, especially since you have to do this to figure out which side to CO anyway.
  5. DO NOT use helicopters with the intent of causing a distraction for the AI. Everyone knows when this is happening, like when empty transport helicopters repeatedly return to "buzz" (fly over) enemy units at top speed again and again. Flying in on troop insertions and back out again is acceptable, as is engaging targets from a battleposition.
  6. DO NOT hover helicopters at maximum ("Normal") height in battle positions, to use as an ATGM platform or to act as a recon satellite or an AI distraction. This is unrealistic at the moment since the Scenario Designer currently has no way to restrict/limit/cap flight height because he may want to represent certain types of conflicts where long range air defense and air superiority fighters exist. At such time, if ever, that the Scenario Designer can specify a maximum flight height, then we can remove this house rule.

NOTE: Failure to abide by the house rules will result in drastic measures by the TGIF coordinators, such as not posting the scenarios in advance, removing features from scenarios (like artillery and aircraft), or in the case of repeated violations, banning certain users from CO'ing, or from participating in TGIF. Also, the CO should strive to have all users on his side play within the guidelines of the house rules - since bad behavior of the side reflects badly on the CO.

DISCUSSION:

*AFTER* the scenario is played, feel free to post constructive criticism about the scenario here, so that it can be improved. All constructive criticism will be taken into account, but pissing and moaning will be ignored.

Constructive criticism = complaints with specific suggestions

Pissing and moaning = complaints with no specific suggestions

DISCLAIMER:

Keep in mind that:

• The scenario may change at the last minute depending on TGIF turnout.
  • Any plan file that you may create may be rendered invalid by last minute adjustments to the scenario (if you are going to CO, it is better to save a plan AND take a screen shot of the plan as backup).
  • Sometimes the TGIF scenario listing may not get updated due to real world situations.
  • This TGIF scenario listing will continue until we point in time that it is deemed "too much trouble", which is the moment in which we determine that no one new is CO'ing, or the situation is no different than before, or that the matches are becoming unfair (due to both sides studying the enemy situation in advance).
  • If this TGIF scenario listing turns into a mud flinging contest, because someone was sour about losing or in order to insult a scenario designer then posting the scenario early will end.
  • The scenarios that appear in this listing are either new, classics, or at least played frequently and deemed "balanced". If you have a scenario that you think should be added to the play list then PM or create a post here about it.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

5 JAN scenario:

TGIF Watan Saraf Ekhlas V5UFM2

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? No.
  • Blue & Green vs. Red.

NOTES:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.
  • Remember to play within the TGIF House Rules and SB.com community rules.

• Moderators

12 JAN scenario:

TGIF_Valley of Tears_OMU_4023 RC3b

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? Yes.

NOTES:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.

• Moderators

19 JAN scenario:

Mech Company MTC (1978)-4023

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? No.

NOTES:

• Moderators

26 JAN scenario:

Mech Company MTC (1978)-4023b     //primary

Top Mech Company Challenge 01e-HN-4019a     //alternate

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? Yes.
  • Two missions!  Actually, the plan is that we run Mech Company MTC first, 15 minute planning time limit. If it fails (we will know after about 15-20 minutes), then we go to the alternate scenario, again 15 planning time limit.
  • The Mech Company MTC scenario was edited and it could have fixed the issue (or it could have been caused by a client).  If it works, then great, if not then we will have gathered some useful information (memory dump) which will be used to find and fix the problem.

NOTES:

Thanks.

Some people mentioned issues in passing but at least it kept going.

There was an issue with the repair area not repairing the helo - unsure if intentional or not?

Anyway another one for my "avoid" list - Its not "fun" controlling 20+ icons with en map updates "off" - while you are micro managing something in one place another unit disappears and all you know is that the icon is no longer there.

Its easy to manage a tank in that circumstance, not so much a dismounted platoon + vehicles + extras.

• Moderators

Yes, helos cannot be repaired or revived, it is just a standard thing I do like the penalty zones around the map. Someone said I could have mentioned it in the briefing, but henceforth let it be known to just assume it to be true if it is a scenario I made. ;)

Sounds like you are commanding too many units for what was intended in the scenario. You have to push back in the planning phase and say that you don't want that many units.

51 minutes ago, Volcano said:

Sounds like you are commanding too many units for what was intended in the scenario. You have to push back in the planning phase and say that you don't want that many units.

Well with 8 players where most want to command at most a Tank Platoon, the dismounts were the Cinderellas. There was about a Company of them plus some Mech Platoons which weren't popular either. Couldn't just leave all of that sitting in its start locations. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators

2 FEB scenario:

Clash of Infantry 2014-4023

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? Yes.

NOTES:

• Moderators

FEB scenario:

REFORGER '85 v.09 (cap zones)

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? Yes.

NOTES:

• To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.
  • Remember to play within the TGIF House Rules and SB.com community rules.

On 2/9/2018 at 8:54 PM, Volcano said:

FEB scenario:

REFORGER '85 v.09 (cap zones)

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? Yes.

NOTES:

• To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.

REFORGER '85 v.09 (cap zones).zip

How did this mission turn out?  Could someone post the AAR file?  Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Colebrook said:

It was a good mission, lots of shooting and no crashes. I didnt save the aar.

I structured this mission so that players hopefully would only have to control 1, maybe 2, vehicles at a time.  Did it work out this way?  

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Not quiet.

Some of us had a Leo Platoon and a Marder Platoon (with accompanying dismounts).

I can send you an AAR when I get back to my main machine (traveling at the moment).

On reflection, I should amend my earlier statement.  In this mission, two 'waves" might spawn in temporal proximity, giving that side a preponderance of force which (I'd hoped) it would use to press the attack.  If/when that happens, one or more players could be saddled with a larger number of vehicles.

Looking forward to the AAR file.  Thanks!

Edited by MDF

• Moderators

16 FEB scenario:

Symmetrical Attack 12-FB-4010a-OMU

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Draft? Yes.

NOTES:

Thanks for today.

I'm afraid I've reached my limit of playing roughly a Company of gear with no enemy map updates.

I see no point in jumping from vehicle to vehicle just to see the one you were just in (or about to jump into) die.

I know some other players hide three vehicles in the Platoon and only fight one at a time, but to me that is not the simulation, but just an attempt to turn it into some sort of first person shooter. All that does is further embarrass / frustrate the person trying to manage the entire group.

I appreciate you need to be able to cater for large crowds but when you have maybe 8 players per side then can I strongly suggest you limit it to three Companies (that includes subsequent waves and other reinforcements)? Perhaps have three companies as the norm and if attendance surges to say 12 per side, Trigger the spawning of a an additional Company.

So please either:

1. Keep enemy map updates off and severely trim the missions; or

2. Turn enemy map updates back on so you have a hope of moving to the sub unit that is about to be in contact.

Either way do not be surprised if I drop once the mission loads, read the briefing and get a chance to compare the forces involved with the numbers in the TS channel.

Edited by Gibsonm

11 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Thanks for today.

I'm afraid I've reached my limit of playing roughly a Company of gear with no enemy map updates.

I see no point in jumping from vehicle to vehicle just to see the one you were just in (or about to jump into) die.

I know some other players hide three vehicles in the Platoon and only fight one at a time, but to me that is not the simulation, but just an attempt to turn it into some sort of first person shooter. All that does is further embarrass / frustrate the person trying to manage the entire group.

This was a source of continuing frustration for me as well, and one of the main reasons I stopped attending TGIF.  I did create several missions to try to reduce the vehicle:player ratio (FEBA Madness, Peredovoy Otryag '83, and REFORGER '85) but these only get played once per year, and thus do little to shift the TGIF repertoire.

Maybe it makes sense to conduct a poll?  Or Put up a list of all the missions and allow people to vote for the ones they want to play?

I don't mean to slag the organizers, and I hope this is taken as constructive criticism.

(Edited to clarify that my preference is for smaller missions with "enemy map updates" off.) 

Edited by MDF

On 2/17/2018 at 1:25 AM, Gibsonm said:

Thanks for today.

I appreciate you need to be able to cater for large crowds but when you have maybe 8 players per side then can I strongly suggest you limit it to three Companies (that includes subsequent waves and other reinforcements)? Perhaps have three companies as the norm and if attendance surges to say 12 per side, Trigger the spawning of a an additional Company.

So please either:

1. Keep enemy map updates off and severely trim the missions; or

2. Turn enemy map updates back on so you have a hope of moving to the sub unit that is about to be in contact.

Either way do not be surprised if I drop once the mission loads, read the briefing and get a chance to compare the forces involved with the numbers in the TS channel.

I am sure V can host a mission with full map updates catering to your specific request.