Time to Squint - BTR50 as a proxy for AAV-P7/A1?

Gibsonm

Need some Jarhead / Leatherneck input.

I'm attempting to build a USMC Rifle Coy (circa 1990) for use in RT '18.

I'm working off the following USMC Rifle Platoon structure (happy to be corrected if its grossly off):

1 x PHQ of 4 people (1 x 4)

3 x Squads - Each squad has a Squad Leader and 3 x 4 man fire teams (3 x 13).

Based on that, a single USMC Rifle Platoon = 43 people.

If that is correct (happy to receive confirmation / correction below), the standard M113 / Bradley Mech Platoon structure isn't suitable.

To replace it, what I'm looking at doing is (prepare to squint):

1. 1 x BTR-50PK (with optional 12.7mm)

2. Dismount and remove the Infantry it comes with (squads are the wrong size).

3. Create a leg Infantry unit with 3 x 4 man Fireteams = 12 people

4. Attach those to the single BTR-50PK (with room to spare) *

* One of the BTR-50PKs also carries the four man PHQ.

Three of these give me my Rifle Platoon. Does that seem "close enough"?

Sorry but 8 is too few. Looks aren't that important, the key issue is a single vehicle being able to carry 16 people (PHQ + 1 x Squad).

It needs to be accurate in that sense, so the person playing USMC has a force something like they'd really have. :)

Also AFAIK, the AAV-P7/A1 is more of a traditional APC / battle taxi, not a MICV / IFV, so the proxy shouldn't be that well armoured. I just need a "tracked truck" to get them to the FUP so they can do a dismounted assault (or stay mounted if that's what their CO decides to do).

Unfortunately, it wont have the 40mm for extra fire support though.

Edited by Gibsonm

Thanks for the feedback - Deadline reached, decision made.

Went with the BTR 50PK.

One vehicle can carry the Squad (3 x 4 man teams) Plus say a MG team from the Weapons Platoon.

That's 16 people plus kit in the one vehicle! Hopefully the USMC CO refrains from mounted attacks, or one vehicle kill will be pretty costly.

29 minutes ago, Captain_Colossus said:

is it possible for a ypr-765 pri.50 to tow another disabled ypr-765 pri.50 in the water? two vehicle setup simulated as one would achieve about the same weight and roughly the same length, and would carry 12 passengers total.

It might be, but I'm not doing it. :)

I want to give the USMC player 12 vehicles to control in has Company, not 24. :)

Esp. given the resurgent "towing bug".

It would also mean you have to double up you commands - to dismount one AAV / BTR50 load, you'd need to issue two dismount commands (one for each vehicle in the pair). You'd also have to disable one set of guns and remember which one in the pair had them, etc.

Lastly, the 2 x YPR option only gives me 14 passengers (the 2 x YPR pri 50 is "worse" with only 12) and I need room for 16 (as above).

All in all far too fiddly for me. :)

Also I've already built the BTR-50 version once I made my decision (see post above yours) and I'm not spending those 3 hours again re-linking Infantry and other teams to different vehicles - or re-duplicating the Master and then re-emailing them out to the BG ANZAC QA team.

Thanks anyway.

Edited by Gibsonm