Chance to kill

Bond_Villian

Gents, im trying to simulate a dangerous paratroop drop, whereby units that start the scenario in a 'dangerous drop zone' (deployment zone) have a % chance of being killed at the start of the scenario. This is what i have so far; (the first condition is that they are in the 50% zone)

5a6c6a61a469a_chancetokill.thumb.jpg.f90327f7008dc57ef623376179e46f4f.jpg

My understanding of the random variable settings is lacking, so my question is; how do i set a 50% chance of units in this zone being killed at the start of the scenario?

Also, is this 'random variable ' calculated only one time, or is it calculated periodically?  (If its calculated periodically ill set another condition that mission time < {periodic check interval} so that it only checks once). I hope that makes sense.

Cheers :)

Edited by Bond_Villian

"New" is recalculated every time it's evaluated, except during the planning phase (and at the instant the scenario starts, I think,) so you might want to delay checking for a few seconds or else just use some more rarely used random variables, like 50, 51, etc. for each unit, if there's not too many.

• Members

I would only spawn units with a 50% likelihood, rather than spwning them all and then killing them off with a penalty zone effect.

But, if you must use a penalty zone

• Make sure to disable it between 31 and 59 seconds AFTER you spawned the units (to be honest, I don't remember if it's possible to tie a penalty zone to a condition), otherwise the troops will get penalized every 30 seconds and not just once
  • Set the penalty to "kill"
  • Set the likelihood to 50%

Alternatively you could set the penalty likelihood to something more benign, like 10%, as long as the troops, once on the ground can vacate the LZ within about three minutes. The cumulative damage will quickly approximate 50%, like

10% after 30 seconds

19% after 60 seconds

27% after 90 seconds

35% after 120 seonds

41% after 150 seconds

47% after 180 seconds

53% after 3 minutes 30 seconds