Are there other boys in the bubble, like me?

dpabrams

Like Gibson wrote, then all VU´s will welcome anyone new to the game:

No one knows everything at the start, but there are many who were exactly where you are now. Dont hold yourself back because you think you will be embarrassed, or hold others back. Its all part of the cycle, and everyone have started where you are. Or worse.

Besides … the worst thing that can happen is that you die horribly, shot to pieces while being burnt alive and alone in a burning tank... :P But virtually. 

MP is a totally different experience - in a good way. 

If you like Single player then I guarantee you will love MP.

Also like Gibson wrote, then TGIF is a bit more competitive, so perfect if that is what you are looking for.

Or alternatively, then join while we are doing an ADHOC, if its within the realms of what is possible for you with regards to time. There is room for everyone and of any level of competence.

Or as another possibility, then contact me, and I will happily share what little knowledge I have. So that should be guaranteed to be a brief session :D

The short version: There are literally room for every playstyle and creativity. 

You can even make your own scenario and invite some of us to join us in your own ADHOC. The scenario and Map editor is fairly intuitive once you know about the few pitfalls, that everyone makes a mistake with at first.

But no matter what, then the MOST important thing is to have fun and what you feel is right for yourself. 

Thank you Gibsonm and Nike-Ajax for your kind invitation. Being that I will probably take one, if not both, of you up on your offer (depending on time). I do expect it to end up like boot camp after meeting the really nice recruiters... without most of the physical exertion. xD 

I will probably be suffering from time zone displacement for a few weeks, so no telling what times will be convenient for the month of June, thus, if I may fill in supply detail or some such should I be awake and the positions available, I would be grateful.

9 minutes ago, Azure Lion said:

Thank you Gibsonm and Nike-Ajax for your kind invitation. Being that I will probably take one, if not both, of you up on your offer (depending on time). I do expect it to end up like boot camp after meeting the really nice recruiters... without most of the physical exertion. xD 

I will probably be suffering from time zone displacement for a few weeks, so no telling what times will be convenient for the month of June, thus, if I may fill in supply detail or some such should I be awake and the positions available, I would be grateful.

Sure, just look in the multi-player area for details of BG ANZAC and other VU meetings.

BG ANZAC's default is 0900GMT on Thursdays (each post has a link to convert that to the "local" time wherever you happen to be).

Rgr, thanks. Usually asleep at that hour (except on restless nights) as I usually reside at Zulu + 18 (or 19 depending; because we laugh in the face of simple, reliable and efficient) - 1 day * 3600 seconds per hour. (Thank goodness for the converters, oh wait... Hahaha! :P)

But yes, should I be awake (which I expect to occur a few times in June), I would enjoy the chance to join you.

Edited by Azure Lion
Addendum

On 5/11/2018 at 1:40 AM, Bond_Villian said:

I agree, but a mission designer can put a value on resources with scoring

i know this isn't always practical, but i have another suggestion: whenever possible, use human players for all crew stations in a vehicle, especially for the driver. i note that simulation of systems with crews and multiple stations or humans to operate it all tends towards reaction times that are much too fast and unrealistic when handled by one player, since commands obviously don't flow through the chain of command. for example, i can turn tanks on a dime to react to anything because i play the role of tc, gunner and driver at the same time to the extent that it's possible- there is no signal loss to the driver to get him to stop, turn this way or that, move to such and such location and so on, the reactions are perfect, and are executed as fast as i can press a key, which doesn't really compare to human crews orienting themselves to each other's directions or intentions. again, the 'fault' of any simulator, but this is an area where multi-player potentially is much more accurate than single player- if players are assigned roles to each vehicle like that instead of each getting his own vehicle.

most tank games orient around a cluster of behavior that resembles this: hit points, fast reload and shooting cycles, tanks moving around and stopping and going like racecars with guns but with no effects of inertia, and finally, representation of the subject matter which feels incomplete (as far as i can tell, world of tanks has no infantry, targets and objectives seem limited to shooting other vehicles only, and there is no real sense of team, both allied or enemy)

steel beasts even as a single player experience however is still the very best there is in my view as far as single player experiences go- not to say that those other things can't be fun, but fun for their own reasons- and tank combat doesn't really feel like it's one of them, but the fact that human players are more squirrely and unpredictable and bragging rights mean so much more. may as well be pickup trucks armed with flame throwers and nuclear torpedoes and it would be the same effect though.

47 minutes ago, Captain_Colossus said:

i know this isn't always practical, but i have another suggestion: whenever possible, use human players for all crew stations in a vehicle, especially for the driver.

It also defeats the purpose of the Sim.

Its key selling point is an "economy of force" measure.

If 2 people can run a Tank Sqn, it makes sense.

If I now need 48 people to fill all the positions, then we might as well go to the compound, get on the real thing, and do live training.

but i'm certain you realize we are talking about multi-player not for that purpose- i know you know this, the whole context of this thread points to non-military use, yet you still have a need to be pedantic and do that thing you do.

you don't know me, i get that, but i've got a sense of your style so i will say this- it may not be apparent to you that what i say may need correction from you, but it doesn't- assume what i say is meaningful, and well thought out and doesn't need correction. ok?

Edited by Captain_Colossus

• Members

You're looking at the same topic from different points of view. I see Mark's comment not as a "correction" but merely as the (very valid) description of priorities from the professional use where span of control is a vital element  ---  see our CAX video below where 70 Steel Beasts players generate the tactical context and stimulus for an exercise with 700 participants representing a force of about 5,000 soldiers (plus an equal, or three times larger number of enemies):

So, YES, from this point of view the major selling point of SB is "span of control", that you DON'T need those 20,000 soldiers to run a brigade level exercise but only 70 (=the average SB user controls 285 combatants ... where the enemy cell actually has much larger numbers and the BluFor cells operate at a much lower multiplicator).

Your observations about command delays are absolutely valid, of course. We considered implementing realistic delays but decided against it because it would be too frustrating for the typical user.

From my perspective, I do not feel that this thread is biased toward military nor non-military use, but to assist those of us who are somewhat diffident about joining the community in their multiplayer session. I for one prefer the use of real world tactics while using this sim over game style tactics that take advantage of programming limitations. (Though I am guilty of using the latter at times.)

Thus participating in a session that is leans more toward military or non-military use is then up to the individual to decide thereafter. For me personally, participating with one of the VUs during their sessions is quite a bit more appealing than something like the shorter TGIF sessions. Though, why not both if time allows?

10 hours ago, Azure Lion said:

Rgr, thanks. Usually asleep at that hour (except on restless nights) as I usually reside at Zulu + 18 (or 19 depending; because we laugh in the face of simple, reliable and efficient) - 1 day * 3600 seconds per hour. (Thank goodness for the converters, oh wait... Hahaha! :P)

But yes, should I be awake (which I expect to occur a few times in June), I would enjoy the chance to join you.

TGIF times are always posted in this site and is fixed.

Marks excellent teaching and training missions in BGANZAC are outlined above and can especially be recommended for people new to MP and is also at a fixed time.

My ADHOC´s  are not fixed really, but usually runs most weeknights depending on interest, and usually around 1800 GMT.

Kaniums session runs on Sundays at 1800 GMT 

And finally 1CAD seems to be picking up again, but I am not sure the time has been fixed yet: but keep a look on posts on this website for updates.

And then there are lots of peripheral VU´s and pseudo-VU´s that for whatever reasons doesnt really affiliate themselves with this community.

Use and participate in any and all that suits your needs, wants and available timeslots. 

Edited by Nike-Ajax

8 hours ago, Captain_Colossus said:

i know this isn't always practical, but i have another suggestion: whenever possible, use human players for all crew stations in a vehicle, especially for the driver. i note that simulation of systems with crews and multiple stations or humans to operate it all tends towards reaction times that are much too fast and unrealistic when handled by one player, since commands obviously don't flow through the chain of command. for example, i can turn tanks on a dime to react to anything because i play the role of tc, gunner and driver at the same time to the extent that it's possible- there is no signal loss to the driver to get him to stop, turn this way or that, move to such and such location and so on, the reactions are perfect, and are executed as fast as i can press a key, which doesn't really compare to human crews orienting themselves to each other's directions or intentions. again, the 'fault' of any simulator, but this is an area where multi-player potentially is much more accurate than single player- if players are assigned roles to each vehicle like that instead of each getting his own vehicle.

I read and respect your position @Captain_Colossus

Respectfully, then having played this game in all its iterations except for the Pro version, I would submit that the Drivers position is something I personally employ only when I need my tank to do something exact like skirting a minefield, passing a bridge that has a disabled vehicle on it, towing another vehicle or something similar.

And building on the MP events then no one initially volunteers to multicrew a vehicle. Except for people new to MP or to the Emulator, where it is a good way to learn the ropes usually as a gunner.

Usually multi-crewing comes into play when a number of vehicles have been destroyed so there is an excess of participants.

And invariably in the shape of one participant being a gunner and one being TC and thus also driving the tank. 

The thing is we as participants in this context do this for fun and pleasure, and multi-crewing can be fun but you are really close to each other.

So it can be frustrating or very annoying if the two people in the tank cant or wont cooperate or do things in the same way. Or cant make it work as one or both wants it to. Or just dont have good chemistry.

All of which is valid, and really no ones fault.

There is no right or wrong way. Except that the way that does not make you happy probably is not conducive for you spending your spare time doing it more.

SO ... speaking only for myself, then multi-crewing and MP can be tons of fun and very useful, particularly if it is a gunner and TC that works well with and respect each other. And especially if you calmly, constructively and honestly communicate what you feel with the other participants when needed, and in a polite but clear way express your boundaries and wishes. 

1 hour ago, Nike-Ajax said:

And then there are lots of peripheral VU´s and pseudo-VU´s that for whatever reasons doesnt really affiliate themselves with this community.

Use and participate in any and all that suits your needs, wants and available timeslots. 

Thank you for your gracious invitation. I do believe I will stick with this community as at its core it has been quite gracious, friendly and diplomatic.

(Especially considering how odd and off the hull my humor can be at times.)

21 hours ago, Bond_Villian said:

@Azure Lion        TGIF in 20 minutes from time of this post...

Thanks for the heads up. Alas, currently about 10.4 kilo-klicks (megameters) away via great-circle from my computer and dongle. Will not be within a milli-klick (meter) till nigh the end of this month.