TC buttoned and unbuttoned states

Captain_Colossus

i thought it might be a sort of 'bug', but thinking about this now it may be a deliberate design simplification. 2 of 3 possible vehicle commander positions do not actually correspond with what the commander is doing.

The positions are

TC is unbuttoned and standing up (1st screenshot).

TC is down in the compartment under the armor (2nd shot).

TC is ubuttoned more or less staring into the open hatch (3rd shot). this is the default position on most vehicles when the TC is not engaged or avoiding fire or anything (pt-76 is an exception, the default is the TC is in position 1 fully standing). this was interesting because if 2 is the default position, what in the world is the TC doing, there is a large arc of frontal vision being blocked staring into the hatch, how are TCs scanning and able to spot like that- then I confirmed in all states the TC is not really exposed at all, by going to the TC position, the TC is never actually exposed outside the turret, the view is always as if the TC is down below or buttoned up, screenshot 4 was taken when the TC was fully standing from the external representation.

i think this isn't a bug so much like i said a simplification of the model. however, another thing that appears to be off is that when the T-72 commander is engaging with the heavy machine gun, he turns to point backwards as the machine gun slews to point forward (screenshot 5).

3.png

1.png

2.png

SS_16_26_32.png

backwards.png

The default view is the Crew Commander sitting on his/her seat inside the turret.

Press Q once and the person adjusts their seat / is half out of the turret - this would be the "norm" for Western armies.

Press Q twice (or again if you have pressed it once already) and the Commander is fully exposed (standing on the seat). Their visibility is improved but they are more vulnerable.

The fact that T-72 Crew Commanders have the hatch in front of them is pretty much to do with Soviet era tank design.

The Crew Commander has to look around the hatch, but is arguably protected.

Western Crew Commanders in the same position can see because the hatch pops up and either "back" (M1, CR2) or "around" Leopard.

Also I think your screenshot sequencing is out of order with what you wrote?

Edited by Gibsonm

the screenshots are in sequence.

in short, there is a discrepancy between the external representation and what the TC is doing when the user occupies the position. if the user goes to the TC position, i assume from any vehicle, the TC is always underneath the armor, regardless of what the external view is showing- i hope that makes sense.

example with the m1a1-

external view, the commander's head is exposed and the commander appears to be scanning from outside the vehicle. when moving to the commander's position, the viewpoint is actually from underneath the armor at roughly between the commander's eyepiece or sight for the .50 cal. this appears to be the case with all vehicles. the only time when the internal and external views actually agree iare when the commander is already buttoned up.

SS_20_17_56.png

SS_20_18_05.png

I recall reading somewhere (perhaps release notes of a recent version) that when the player moves into the TC pos (from anywhere else) the view defaults to lowest position. This is not however the case with the M113 and the ASLAV 25 and a few others. (why- i do not know).

The T72 commander model facing the wrong way when using the roof MG is a known bug i think.