DarkFib3r

App to help with vehicle recognition in Steel Beasts

Hey all, I created a little quiz application to help with vehicle identification that you might find useful: http://positive-id.digitalpraxis.com. There are lots of armored vehicles, but there are also aircraft from different eras, too. I hope you find it fun and helpful!

Fb31w6p.png

This is pretty cool - pinned it!

Is it really necessary to click the "next" button twice?

Thanks ssnake, I appreciate it!

Yeah, pressing the Next button twice feels like a needless gesture. I modeled the quiz after Duolingo, which always provides feedback on whether you are wrong or right. But I can see the value of eliminating success feedback and simply moving on to the next question.

Thanks again for the pin and the feedback!

I propose more advanced quizzes, though. Like, an "8-wheels only" theme where you mix BTR-60s, -70s, and -80s, Piranhas, Luchs, and XA-360s at different ranges, angles, day and thermal. Having the thermal signature at full screen size is easy. Looking at blobs at 2000m range is much more of a challenge - or daysight, with rain.

Or "tanks with rounded turrets only" - basically anything that has substantial similarities particularly at longer ranges.

Happy to apply our gunnery standards:

10 sec exposure of a portion of a vehicle (thermal and day sight views, moving and static, various angles) - Gunner needs to determine fire / no fire.

80 or so exposures, 95% pass mark = 4 errors allowed.

Nice! Passed on to my son who deploys to NTC soon.

On 3/23/2018 at 2:23 AM, Gibsonm said:

Happy to apply our gunnery standards:

10 sec exposure of a portion of a vehicle (thermal and day sight views, moving and static, various angles) - Gunner needs to determine fire / no fire.

80 or so exposures, 95% pass mark = 4 errors allowed.

How much is a "portion"?   It's not something ridiculous like just a side mirror is it?

Can be anything:

Half a road wheel.

Couple of road wheels (e.g. gap between 1st and 2nd in T-55, no gap T-62, T-72 type wheels, T-64 type, M113, Leopard, M1, Centurion, ...)

Track

Barrel