App to help with vehicle recognition in Steel Beasts

DarkFib3r

Hey all, I created a little quiz application to help with vehicle identification that you might find useful:  There are lots of armored vehicles, but there are also aircraft from different eras, too. I hope you find it fun and helpful!

Fb31w6p.png

Edited by Sean
Link no longer works - removed.

• Ssnake pinned this topic

Thanks ssnake, I appreciate it!

Yeah, pressing the Next button twice feels like a needless gesture. I modeled the quiz after Duolingo, which always provides feedback on whether you are wrong or right. But I can see the value of eliminating success feedback and simply moving on to the next question.

Thanks again for the pin and the feedback!

• Members

I propose more advanced quizzes, though. Like, an "8-wheels only" theme where you mix BTR-60s, -70s, and -80s, Piranhas, Luchs, and XA-360s at different ranges, angles, day and thermal. Having the thermal signature at full screen size is easy. Looking at blobs at 2000m range is much more of a challenge - or daysight, with rain.

Or "tanks with rounded turrets only" - basically anything that has substantial similarities particularly at longer ranges.

On 3/23/2018 at 2:23 AM, Gibsonm said:

Happy to apply our gunnery standards:

10 sec exposure of a portion of a vehicle (thermal and day sight views, moving and static, various angles) - Gunner needs to determine fire / no fire.

80 or so exposures, 95% pass mark = 4 errors allowed.

How much is a "portion"?   It's not something ridiculous like just a side mirror is it?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I tried it and i find this to be very nice and ill definite recommend this to my other friends.

Thought i wish it would at least sometimes be more challenging. Basically just as Ssnake said. Too often vehicles as option are way too different to be answer so it is really easy to eliminate wrong answers away. However if choices, at least part of them would be very similar it would be more difficult and test knowledge better.

Oh if i may, i would love to see version with limited amount of time where one has to decide if to shoot or not -  aka what camouflage (especially important on scenarios where parties have similar looking equipment) and if its hostile, as it might as well be civilian or ambulance

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Sadly it seems the Site is no longer available. It redirects to hugedomains.com which seems to be a domainseller (also not available on my side, maybe blocked). 

And corresponding to his profile, @DarkFib3r was last time online in this forum in 2018 :( Otherwise I would offer help with hosting.

• Sean unpinned this topic