Responsiveness of mortars to pre-plotted fire missions?

Panzer_Leader

Hi All

Can anyone advise approximate responsiveness of mortars (81/82 mm or 120 mm) to pre-plotted fire missions?  I've always assumed 2 minutes 30 seconds for (Soviet) tube artillery but I assume mortars, generally being organic and closer to the unit being supported, may be quicker.  My best guess is around 1 minute but I've really got nothing to base that on other than gut.

If anyone is able to assist, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!   

Thanks for testing @MAJ_Fubar What I'm keen to understand is how this compares to real life. Say, for example, your battalion has organic mortars 2-3 km away and an enemy arrives at a pre-plotted reference point, what's a realistic assumption for the time between the call for fire to be made and rounds to land on target? In a current scenario I'm updating, my assumption is one minute but I'm keen to test that with people who know more than I do!

Yes that's what I thought you were after so I may email you directed as that's in the realm of sensitive TTPs.

A lot will depend on what the "pre-plotted reference point" is.

Is it a FPF (final protective fire) where the tubes are laid on to in between missions? That is once the message gets through, you just drop the bombs in the tube.

Is it a registered target where the mortar line has to apply a correction from the FPF to the registered settings and then drop the bombs?

What are the comms between the fwd unit and the BN HQ and the mortar CP? etc.

What is the timeframe you are talking about? 1960s is a lot different to say the 90s or now.

Edited by Gibsonm

Thanks Mark, let's say it's a registered target but not FPF and time frame is late 80s to early 90s. I'd assume direct radio or wire comms between a forward FO / mortar controller and battalion / mortar CP. Not looking for sensitive info, just is my one minute assumption "good enough" or another timing "better"?