New WW2 Armour simulation.

Marko

Its called post scriptum.

It has not been released yet but you can pre-order

Some details. If you liked the movie a bridge to far, this is for you. LoL

Experience a full-scale battlefield with 100-Player Servers, 50+ usable vehicles, Squad roles, Supply runs and Base Building. Post Scriptum is a unique experience, recreating a Historically Accurate, Immersive & Realistic gameplay.

Players will be given the option to fight with the British Airborne Division, British XXX Corps, US 101st / 82nd Airborne Division or several branches of the German Army, such as the Wehrmacht or the Waffen SS. It’s a rare opportunity to experience the intense battlefield that was the Battle of Arnhem, which stretched across farms, woods, villages and city areas. Each area is being accurately recreated from archival references that range from street level to aerial images. Whether you’re jumping out of a plane, resupplying friendlies or operating a tank you will find multiple reasons to drop back into the battlefield in this grand scaled representation of a WW2 setting never explored in a large multiplayer environment.

It certainly looks good visually.

home page 

http://postscriptumgame.com/media/

Vehicles_PS.png?t=1524293998

Edited by Marko

How is this possible:

Players will be given the option to fight with the British Airborne Division, British XXX Corps, US 101st / 82nd Airborne Division or several branches of the German Army, such as the Wehrmacht or the Waffen SS. It’s a rare opportunity to experience the intense battlefield that was the Battle of Arnhem, which stretched across farms, woods, villages and city areas. 

The US 82nd and 101st Airborne weren't even at Arnhem?

Market Garden, sure, Arnhem, no.

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

How is this possible:

Players will be given the option to fight with the British Airborne Division, British XXX Corps, US 101st / 82nd Airborne Division or several branches of the German Army, such as the Wehrmacht or the Waffen SS. It’s a rare opportunity to experience the intense battlefield that was the Battle of Arnhem, which stretched across farms, woods, villages and city areas. 

The US 82nd and 101st Airborne weren't even at Arnhem?

Market Garden, sure, Arnhem, no.

actually, market garden was Arnhem, nimjem or whatever the spelling is, and some other town.  market was the airborne attack and garden was the ground attack. and yes, 82nd and 101st  were there

Edited by RENEGADE-623

11 hours ago, IrishHussar said:

That was the problem with Market Garden, they couldn't "Get down that road" ;-)

Well its going to be a lot harder in a Matilda going flat out at what, 25 Kph. :)

"Historically Accurate, Immersive & Realistic gameplay." - Two of those three not achieved.

2 hours ago, daskal said:

Looks nice, but is this supposed to be a SIM or something similar to WOT or ARMA?

From what i can make out, it will have a higher level of fidelity the WOT or Arma 

But i do not think it will be up to the standard of SB. 

I have been on the look out for a decent WW2 Armour sim for a long tine.

Could not get in to steel armour /WOT or WT they do look good visually but like most hard core armour sim guys i like the feeling of being In side the turret buttoned up and hull down.

And that sense of fear you get from having limited visibility.

Edited by Marko

3 hours ago, daskal said:

Looks nice, but is this supposed to be a SIM or something similar to WOT or ARMA?

without attempting to be pedantic, that depends on your criteria for sim; for WW2, the vehicle modelling doesn't have to be so tight, since we are talking relatively crude gameplay elements anyway. panzer elite is considered a sim, but it didn't think it was too complex as a sim, especially the infantry model. with this game, human player infantry will be miles ahead of panzer elite's representation of them where the sprite infantry were rendered in groups rather than individual bodies.

the videos remind of an improved red orchestra. i could argue that there were good enough sim like elements in red orchestra to call it a sim; there were always enough questions whether the damage model was actually a hit point based system though- sometimes it seemed obvious, sometimes it seemed not as obvious, if it were hit point based, the designers added just enough elements to question what was going on under the hood and so it wasn't as bad or as blatant.

on the other hand in any game where players respawn, that would make a case against a sim, sims usually don't do that except perhaps in a sim with a sandbox editor which allows that to happen, or which allows human referees resurrect dead actors and so forth. also, in these types of multiplayer games, usually you can't destroy structures and damage or affect the landscape, even a small object like a wooden crate will block tanks rather than being crushed, since the game world has to remain consistent for all players or because of performance reasons the modelling in this respect remains rather simple.

so when you have respawning, when you have capture the flag battles, you're going to get spawn camping and those kinds of things to go with it, sure. that tends to drag it into a different gameplay experience than strictly a sim, even if the vehicles and weapons modeled were fairly attentive and high quality. the gameplay itself will tend to give you that feeling: "well it would be a sim if only such and such or this and that..."

Edited by Captain_Colossus

Game description on Steam:

Post Scriptum is a first-person simulation shooter that provides an authentic WWII combat experience. Focusing on historical accuracy, large scale battles, a difficult learning curve and an intense need for cohesion, communication and teamwork.

I have my own view on what is defined as a simulation. I'd rather use the term as a verb (ie, the act of simulating something), rather than a noun or adjective to describe software. Anything can be used to simulate something; Battlefield 4 can simulate squad tactics as much as Steel Beasts can simulate gunnery. 

Post Scriptum does look beautiful, just like Squad does (that Unreal engine is graphically pleasing).  However, I don't see PS being much more detailed than Squad. In fact, PS looks like a mod for Squad - a game that has been in Alpha for almost three years. 

Yeap, Hell Let Loose is another one to watch for.  I posted some stuff in the "Tactical FPS" thread.  They recently released a closed Alpha.  You can also look up for "Steel Fury" with mods.  I once had that installed but since moving to Windows 10, I haven´t re-installed it again.  The guys from IL-2 BoB etc. are working on a dedicated tank module as you probably know, so will see how that turns out.

I agree with what Apocalypse said above.  There´s alot of ways a sim might go about simming what.  Rainbow Six Siege for example, team work, tactics and good aiming, mind muscle, situational awareness, map knowledge etc,  or you will be out the round in 2min.!  It´s a big challange overall and either you practise as a team or bust!

Either way a sim is meant to be a tool, and we sometimes forget to have fun with it.  As long as you have fun don´t worry about the rest.  There´s something very logical in all this, not everybody excepts to die (get out of the game) in one shot, so dev´s have to deal with a way to have everybody happy.

There is a balancing act to all of this too, because there is also a set of public that wants a more realistic sim (of what ever kind), but money is money and in the end, that´s what it´s all about for them.

Red

Edited by Red2112
added content

8 hours ago, Red2112 said:

I agree with what Apocalypse said above.  There´s alot of ways a sim might go about simming what. 

in the end the definition of a sim is contentious- like many other things. it may depend on consensus, it may depend on what a lone user thinks regardless of outside opinion; a developed can call his own a product a sim and in some cases it may be a more of a marketing buzzword to attract players.

i looked on the hell loose website, and this is what the developers say: This is a simulation of war... not an arcade arena shooter. 

well looking at video clip of players fearlessly running around scoring kills like audie murphy, it does look like an arcade arena shooter. there's of solo players running around just racking up tallies- which indicates an 'arcade arena shooter.'

this gets into another point- even if the developers model equipment and gameplay with high fidelity simulation elements, it doesn't mean that for whatever reason the actual execution doesn't come off like an 'arcade shooter', especially

since entertainment is the priority, players will tend to treat sim products as entertainment (which i have no problem with). it's just a fact that when players invest an afternoon or evening's time to have fun, their behavior

is going to be very kill tally driven, usually discarding self preservation behavior or other behaviors such as waiting and observing for several minutes hours or several days planning before attacking and that kind of thing.

it is all entertainment, and somehow it has to all gel to elicit some subjective statement about whether it's a sim or not. a game like panzer commander was considered a sim, but there are 'arcade' shooters that can feel more sim like

than that ever did, the gameplay in panzer commander was crude and didn't really push it into any bucket that i would recommend: neither entertaining for a sim nor an arcade shooter. it was either not 'simlike' enough, nor did the

pace of action merit a mechwarrior like romp to go and blow things up.