KANIUM SUNDAY 27TH OF MAY 1800 GMT - "OPERATION JANUS" BY SNS

KANIUM SUNDAY 27TH OF MAY 1800 GMT - "OPERATION JANUS" BY SNS

Where: Kanium TS : teamspeak3.i3d.net:10077 
World Clock 1800 GMT(Same time as always) 

World clock 1800 UTC

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This SB session may be recorded w. video and sound and uploaded, including to a public youtube channel 

Everybody is Welcome you don't have to belong to kanium 

rllwi8f.png

p37dLCq.png

TF 3-78 TOC somewhere near STEINFURT – really early!!

“Gentlemen please sit down”  

Lt Col Sweet looked tired.  A coffee in one hand and a cigarette in the other he seemed to fall into his rather rickety folding camping chair.  Huddled in his large combat jacket, and non-regulation fleece, he took a sip of coffee and slowly looked around the crowded audience.    

In the dim light of the tent, the low hum of the Bn TOC at work carried on in the background.    

“OK, listen up, this IS important.  I have just got off a call with the Bde COM – I know it may not look like it right now, but apparently, we are winning.  NATO air forces have turned the tide in the north.  The Brits, Germans, Belgians and Dutch Corps managed to HOLD the Poles and Soviet 3rd SHOCK Army at the Dutch Border, with a little help from our REFORGER units that managed to get there in time – they made a difference.  The French have also gave a good account of themselves, but being French did not stray too far from their own borders.  Still…………

So, the good news gentlemen is the Soviets are on the defensive, which means we get to ATTACK.  Now I will let the staff brief you in a minute, but I wanted to give you my thoughts first, before you all get mired into the detail.

I have a very simple mission.  Go find the enemy, destroy him quickly to facilitate the CORPS flank attack into the Soviets rear areas. 
That is the good news.  The bad news is I need to do this within the next 6 hours.  5 US Div RESERVE is the lead element of the Corps attack 
and is already mobilised and on their way here.  We can expect to see their forward elements in the next 4 hours.  And, the Enemy gets a vote.  
Our Soviet friends have only just moved into Hasty Defence and I do not want them to be too settled.  We gave them a bloody nose, but as you all know they stopped themselves, they still have a lot of combat power.

This will not be easy.  But be clear, we MUST DESTROY the enemy force to our East and open a path for 5 Div to rapidly exploit.  
Now listen to the Staff, read the FRAGO and leave questions until the end.  

Lt Col Sweet stopped and let out a long breath.  He looked at each of the TF Commanders in turn and wondered who would still be there for the AAR?       

Excerpts of the battalion commander's orders for TF 3-78... 

1) SITUATION: 
    a) Enemy: 
              1.      Terrain: See Bn Trace. 
        2.    Weather.  Temp -6. vis out to 3000m, 50% chance of snow/sleet. 
        3.    Vital Ground.  All bridges are operational.  Control of the Village of LANGEN (Obj PETER) will provide crossing points over River DANUBE. 
        4.    Key terrain. Hill 213 and 214 offer good visibility of Obj PARKER.  ALTHAUSEN is not controlled by the Soviets and we are  
            prohibited by the Germans from entering or conducting FIRES into its location.  PENELOPE is occuppied by a Soviet Armoured MR Coy+.  
            CDT will strike and SECURE PENELOPE, but it is wel ldefended.  DO NOT become decisively engaged with PENELOPE.            
        5.    General Situation.  The soviet invasion of western Europe has finally stalled after 8 days fighting.  Despite heavy losses and with most of Western Germany  
            under Soviet control, NATO BLOCKED the Soviet Advance and is now preparing to COUNER ATTACK. 
        6.    Enemy Forces Composition & Disposition.  20 Guards Combined Arms Army (20 GCAA) 70%CE.  EN Forces within Boundaries likely to  
            consist of depleted first echelon forces of 22nd MRD, 221 MRR reinforced with Divisional Tank and Arty units.   Equipment comprises  
            T-72M, T-64, BMD-2, BMP-1/2, AT, Plt, Engr Coy, AD Coy, (ZSU23/4) Arty Bn, AT/Aviation and Air Assault units.  This unit may be only 60% CE NOT CONFIRMED.

b) Own: 
    3 XXX will conduct a COUNTER ATTAACK into the flank of 20 Guards Combined Arms Army (20 GCAA).  5 US Div lead units will arrive in 3 Bn AO within the next 4 hours.   
    4th Armour Bn is 65% CE and has recently been re-supplied & reinforced by a German rmoured BG and ready to conduct further operations.  
    However, combat support units are heavily depleted and there is a shortage of Engineering, Artillery and CSS capabilities. 
    TF 3-78 has re-organised and been resupplied.  The 3 x Combat Teams have been reinforced from the Battle Casualty Replacement Pool. 

c) TASKORG & Attachments and detachments - see TF 3-78 ORBAT in FRAGO:  

TEAM ALPHA (ALPHA C/S) 
        HQ Sect (2 x M1A1) 
        2 x Tank Plts (8 x M1A1) 
        2 x Mech Infantry Plt (8 x M2A2) 
        1x Sustainment PLT (medic, fuel, Ammo and Recovery/Mechanic.
        1 x Mor Plt (4x M1064A3)

ATTACHMENTS AND DETACHMENTS: 
        1 x Scout Sect (2 x M3A2)
        1 x AD Sect (2 x HMMWV) 
        1 x ENG Sect (1 x WISENT AEV)  
        3 x Battery 5th Bn 1 Fd Arty Regt M1094A3 ( 18 x Tubes) 
        2 x Plt 5th Aviation Regt (2 x CH47 2 x Inf Sect, 2 x AH1 Atk Aviation)) RESERVE  

2) ACT MISSION: ATTACK east and DESTROY Soviet forces within boundaries, limit of Exploitation PL PIXIE IOT enable 3 XXX CA INTO 20 GCAA Flank.  BPT conduct POL with 5 US Div within 3 hours 

Key tasks: 

1.    Conduct STRIKE against Obj PARKER & PETER Destroying EN forces within strong points; 
        2.    OCCUPY DORF & ESTABLISH HASTY DEFENCE; 
        3.    BPT Support CCT STRIKE against PENELOPE 
        4.    BPT DEFEAT EN CA from north. 

Endstate: 

1.    PARKER, PETER SECURE.
        2.    DORF OCCUPPIED, HASTY DEFENCE ESTABLISHED   
        3.    All EN fore within boundaries Destroyed.   
        4.    ACT fit for further offensive operations.

3) EXECUTION:  
[Finally: The player's mission] 

Intent: UP TO YOU  

a) Concept of Operation:  
    [UP TO YOU] 

i) Maneuver:  
        [Designate by squad/platoon each task to be accomplished. Identify Company/Platoon Main effort supporting units/tasks to main effort.] 

ii) Fires:  
        [Describe the concept of fire support (Arty and CAS) in relation to scheme of maneuver. Include priority of fire, priority targets (High Pay-Off Targets  <HPTs> , and any pre-planned  fire support targets/events ("First platoon reaches PL DOG, TGT AA0001, SMOKE, is fired VIC OBJ Oak to assault of OBJ)] 

iii) Additional assets:  
        [Engineer/Air Defense Arty.] 

b) Tasks to Maneuver units:  
    [Specify tasks other than in para 3a. and the purpose of each task. Each task should be listed in separate sub paragraphs.] 

c) Tasks to Combat Support Units:  
    [Tasks to units like Arty, Engineers, etc.] 

d) COORDINATING INSTRUCTIONS:  
    [Coordinating instructions for 2 or more subordinate units. Include: Order of March, Line of departure of time, Start Point times (SP), etc.] 

5) COMMAND AND SIGNALS: 

Coy Command channel 26000

1 PLT 31000

2 PLT 33500

3 PLT 36000

4 Mech PLT 41000

5 Mech PLT 43500

OlzAjSn.png

Edited by Major duck

Manninglist:

Alpha COY Command Sec:

A66 (M1A1): Assassin 7 (Kanium,US)

A-Ops (M1A1):

G3 (M113 Mortar FO):

A1 Tank PLT (M1A1 x 4):

A11: Nike Ajax (Kanium,DK)

A12

A13

A14: Connaugh (Kanium,US)

A2 Tank PLT (M1A1 x 4):

A21: Cavgunner (Kanium,US)

A22: 

A23: 

A24: Roerbaek (Kanium,DK)

A3 Tank PLT (M1A1 x 4):

A31: Swordsmandk (Kanium,DK)

A32:

A33: 

A34: Major Duck (Kanium,DK)

A4 Mech PLT (M2 x 4):

A41: Chrisreb (Kanium,UK)

A42

A43

A44:

A5 Mech PLT (M2 x 4):

A51: DBoy/Dlad (Kanium,UK)

A52

A53

A54:

D1 RECON Sec (M3 x 2):

Red 2112 (Kanium,ESP)

G1 Mortar PLT (M113 Mortar x 4):

G2 AA Defence  Sec:

A7 CSS PLT (Supply and Maintenance):

Where needed:

Colebrok (DOW,ESP) 50 % chance 

Opfor:

sNs/Short & Sweet (Kanium,UK)

Cant Make it:

Apocalypse 31 (Kanium,US)

Kingtiger (Kanium,SE)

Wiglif (Kanium,US)

Duke (Kanium,DE)

Zaphod (Kanium,CAN)

Edited by Major duck

"This SB session may be recorded w. video and sound and uploaded, including to a public youtube channel"

Do you know if this applies to this session?

If yes, then sorry.

If no, then I can be there.

I'd rather know now than get up at 0330 just to ask on the day.

Edited by Gibsonm

49 minutes ago, TSe419E said:

I will be recording but if you are present I will not record TeamSpeak.

As always, I appreciate the accommodation.

I was more worried though about other, unknown, Spielbergs. Rotar and yourself have been great in the past.

Maybe I should nominate for Red and help a kindred Commonwealth spirit?

Edited by Gibsonm

12 hours ago, Red2112 said:

Where needed, thank you.  If I record, I will without TS if I can figure out how to do that.  We ALL make mistakes sometimes...

Red

I think you should be OK.

I'll be on Red.

I'm presuming you wont be recording the pre game chat when everyone is in the same channel? I'll confirm via TS chat when I connect.

13 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I think you should be OK.

I'll be on Red.

I'm presuming you wont be recording the pre game chat when everyone is in the same channel? I'll confirm via TS chat when I connect.

No, don´t worry Sir.  Either way we can sort it out on TS if so.  I usually don´t record brefings or debrefings as that is a internal thing for us.  As once said, I don´t need to record, it´s just for promotion reasons but again, don´t worry I can do with out.

Red

Thank you guys. That was a lot of fun.

Looking forward to the video 

I have to work with my direction when spotting. is there not a kompas in a Tank or to much metal ?

My call was only 1Km off . Some spotting :) well actually I assumed they were in the same spot as spotted before. My mistake.

Perhaps some one has a good solution to be better at pointing out locations ?9_9

Again Thank you.

Edited by JUST

48 minutes ago, JUST said:

TI have to work with my direction when spotting. is there not a kompas in a Tank or to much metal ?

My call was only 1Km off . Some spotting :) well actually I assumed they were in the same spot as spotted before. My mistake.

There are two compass options:

1. The default (usual) is when you look in the 3D world:

42395970981_68f81ca339_o.png

Lower right corner (yellow circle)

White dot shows what you are looking at (here North)

Front of vehicle (red outline) is facing East. This will change as the vehicle moves, changes direction.

The other option is when the Scenario Designer activates the "manual azimuth" option.

The red outline no longer changes but from the Commander's position if you press "K" you'll see two rows of numbers:

41672232344_1c62f2ea88_o.png

Top row is the bearing to what you are looking at in Degrees.

Lower row is the bearing to what you are looking at in Mils.

Once you tie either of those in to "map to ground" and the features on the map you should be OK.

Now that you know where you are, use the binos or LRF to determine how far away the enemy is and you should get better at estimating where the enemy is.

Hope that helps?

Edited by Gibsonm