Standard Load for ATGM teams and Rifle PLt´s ?

Nike-Ajax

Hi

In the midst of making a scenario, then I have been struck with doubt.

To me then the standard load of an ATGM team would be 1 ready and 2 spare missiles.

Same with RPG´s and other light AT weapons. But somewhere deep in the corners of my geriatric brain, then a more accurate number would be 1 ready and 3 spares. For instance then the RPG assistant gunners back holds 3 rockets.

Any input to this? 

5 hours ago, Nike-Ajax said:

Hi

In the midst of making a scenario, then I have been struck with doubt.

To me then the standard load of an ATGM team would be 1 ready and 2 spare missiles.

Same with RPG´s and other light AT weapons. But somewhere deep in the corners of my geriatric brain, then a more accurate number would be 1 ready and 3 spares. For instance then the RPG assistant gunners back holds 3 rockets.

Any input to this? 

ATGM carried load  depends  of particular weapon system and  size of the crew/team. For example AT-7  2-man team carries 4 missiles(1 by gunner and  another 3 by his assistant), while AT-4 2-man team can carry only 2 9M111-series missiles which are carried by gunner's assistant(3-man AT-4 team will carry 4 missiles)... And when it comes to larger and heavier  ATGMs like TOW or  AT-5 average team can carry only one missile over relatively short distance.

Speaking of ammo load for RPGs its again depends of weapon. Basic carried load  for RPG-7 is 5 rounds(2 in gunner`s pack and another 3 in assistant`s pack) while Carl Gustav crew can carry 2-4 rounds(which are packed in rather bulky 2-round containers).

Just my 2 cents...

Thank you 

The CG I know from experience, they are a little heavy but surprisingly easy to carry around. 

So for the midsized ATGM, specifically like the Milan, then building on what you wrote a 3 man standard ATGM team is probably lugging around 4 missiles?

8 minutes ago, Nike-Ajax said:

So for the midsized ATGM, specifically like the Milan, then building on what you wrote a 3 man standard ATGM team is probably lugging around 4 missiles?

This  depends of particular unit`s TOE, IMHO. And  in defensive scenarios ammo can be stockpiled on position, so it`s actual number can exceed unit`s ability to haul it by hand in single time

It would be dependent on your mission.

Command will assign more or less depending on the threat they feel you will encounter from Intel. In a enviroment without heavy armour,most likely orders will state ATGM's will be at a minimum, if tanks are known to be in the AO, they will assign the supply to have the nessary wpn systems, (and reloads) given to your mission profile.  

That is how most orders work, in concert with the supply chain, all planed out days in advance for your tasking.   Hope this helps. :)

Thank you, so like previously stated, then its basically ADHOC and no real standard. 

There are numerous factors that would affect ammunition availability, especially in a full shooting war, where NATO´s war stocks probably would be quickly depleted - depending again on the size of engagements etc.

What I was curious about was whether or not there existed a sort of semi-official SOP for loadouts for ATGM teams etc.

All input is taken into consideration and thanks everyone for that  

Well there is a "standard" but the standard varies between countries and role.

UK doctrine for MILAN might be 1 + 2. German doctrine for MILAN might be 1 + 4.

A UK MILAN team in a Warrior can carry a bunch more (because the Warrior will be parked relatively nearby) than the same team dismounting from a Chinook and having to hump it all with them.

Those numbers might also change with the time period.

So once you figure out which nation, what time period, what type of operation, you'll likely be able to find the relevant "standard". Then you can adjust for stuff like, lack of resupply or whatever other factors are involved.

Building the scenario is often the easy bit compared to researching what should be in the scenario. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

So much data … As a historian I know there is rarely ONE truth. 

So I will just have to make a decision based on the information I have. In reality those number would fluctuate on availability etc. anyway, even with a given country and unit. 

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Los said:

If you are dealing with Javelins, don't plan on one man carrying more than one missile. So if you have a 2 man javelin team, its two missiles.

:)

Yep the missile container is like and Oxy / Acetylene bottle or large LPG gas cyclinder

Looks like this:

5b5e5fa36af1a_download(1).jpg.a7e63671ab21e335855f400de44001b9.jpg