1965 M48 substitute in SB

ashdivay

• Members

I'd pick a T-55, or a Leopard 1 without stabilization and thermals, and pick the oldest 105mm ammo I could find. I'd also reduce the fuel to 50% or less and give a gentleman's pledge to never use "top speed" in the scenario.

Well then you have the whole micromanagement aspect of moving 4/5 icons around the map instead of the single platoon.

as suspension damaged vehicle's can't join up as a unit.

Of course the other option is for Ssnake and co, to add the M48 to SB Pro.

*Hint Hint*

:)

Edited by Hedgehog

5 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Well then you have the whole micromanagement aspect of moving 4/5 icons around the map instead of the single platoon.

as suspension damaged vehicle's can't join up as a unit.

Unless you use "Configure preset unit groups ..." which lets you give different units the same commands.

Visually the M60A3 is obviously the closest, but, aside from the stabilization and TTS, the gun is too powerful and the armor is too thick. If you choose it, you might want to strengthen the opponent as well.

The T-55 indeed has a less powerful gun, but again the armor is too thick, the ammo loadout is too low (the M48A2C had 64 main gun rounds), the silhouette is too low and it doesn't have a range finder. Besides, in a European or ME scenario, the opposing force will be using it.

I would go with a Leo 1 with the fuel and speed limitations suggested above, or perhaps a Centurion.

The M48 was a real beauty, hope to see it in SB one day.

Edited by Iarmor

On 7/26/2018 at 12:21 PM, Gibsonm said:

Unless you use "Configure preset unit groups ..." which lets you give different units the same commands.

It's not user-friendly and its not the 'same' command. 

It just generates similar waypoints for all the units - it doesnt even generate the waypoints at the same end-point. You still have to micro the whole thing. Not useful

In relation to this kind of ad-hoc unit subbing,

it would be great if we could "damage" the M60A3 such that the LRF system could only be used in the "manual" mode, so that a human crew or human TC would need to manually lase the target and send the range to the gunner, thus half-way replicating ranging with an optical range finder...

Second, would be nice to be able to "damage" certain components WITHOUT the message being permanently displayed on screen...Such that TIS could be simply missing from the vehicle for that scenario, for example.

"Manual mode?"  You mean like in an M60A1 with a damaged GPS and the gunner using the M105D secondary sight?  

The range finder, ballistic computer, gunner's sights and main gun are all connected by shafts cams, gears and levers.  If you change the range of the range finder a connecting shaft drives the gears in the ballistic computer which changes the range dial on the ballistic computer and changes the super elevation applied to gun and sights.  There is no "manual input" needed unless the shaft between the range finder and ballistic computer is broken or the gunner is using the M105D and he needs the TC to tell him the range.

When gunning an 'A3 you should hear the high pitched whine of the motors changing the super elevation after you lase.  This is absent on the 'A1 because any change input with the range finder is constantly changing the settings of the ballistic computer at the same time the change is input (there is no pause while the computer makes a calculation then inputs the change to the system).

From my personal experience and one video I have seen on youtube I would say that, in general, both systems can be equally as fast in all but a few situations.  

I should explain that a little further...

There's two modes for the M60A3 LRF.  In one mode the gunner pushes the lase button, the laser fires, the range is entered into the ballistic computer.

In the second mode, as I understand, the commander has to press the "FEED" button to send the range to the computer after the laser takes the range.

If we could force the system to that mode so that gunner and TC had to work together, etc, old system, etc.

On 7/4/2018 at 7:07 PM, Connaugh said:

Hello Ash:

I am creating a scenario: The Battle of Chawinda: Indo-Pakistani War of 1965.

Indians used the Centurion and AMX-13, so both will be used.

Pakistanis used the M48 Patton, so I will use the M60 to approximate. With Thermals and Laser removed.

Shermans were used but I do not see a substitute.

What should Mech Infantry use for transport?

Did both sides utilize WWII halftracks?

Was a Mech Vehicle in use at that time?

Thanks,

Conn

See my post in the forums about this recently.

Snake suggested Leopard 1 with thermals and stab removed. But i am trying to figure out if t-55 would be better.

I don't know what would be a good replacement for Shermans. 

As for Mech , its M113 for pakistani and Early BTR for Indians.

Other troops transport would be trucks.

Indians also had Jeeps mounted with RCL guns.

Indians also used Dispatch riders on motorcycles as radio equipment on the indian side was outdated compared to Pak side.

I am working on a H2H tgif scen of Battle of Assal Utter.

Let me know how it goes for you.

20 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

I should explain that a little further...

There's two modes for the M60A3 LRF.  In one mode the gunner pushes the lase button, the laser fires, the range is entered into the ballistic computer.

In the second mode, as I understand, the commander has to press the "FEED" button to send the range to the computer after the laser takes the range.

If we could force the system to that mode so that gunner and TC had to work together, etc, old system, etc.

I understand now.  It is possible to do on an 'A3 if you have two players in the vehicle.  I think the system defaults to automatic mode when the TC is AI.  In an 'A1 it probably would happen the same way, input from a player or automatic from the AI.