Mouse sensitivity/smoothing/refinement

Botas

Not sure whether this should be in a 'wish list' thread but here goes.

I've noticed that panning around your virtual head in the sim isn't very smooth. Even at 60fps and v-synced looking around feels like you're using a very low DPI mouse. It's even more noticeable after using the gun-sight - the inertia and smoothing coded into the guns movement makes panning around very accurate (albeit very slow) - but when you hop into the TC position it all becomes very harsh. Steel Beasts 1 has this kind of smoothing/inertia built in and it's sorely missed (at least for me). It made the whole experience really fluid.

Also the mouse is overly sensitive - trying to look around the interior or using a binocular with its narrow FOV is frustrating; the difference between moving your head a little and having it spin around completely is tiny.

So....might some kind of mild (optional) smoothing be applied for panning around (akin to SB 1) and perhaps a sensitivity slider for the mouse? Sorry if any of this has been requested before.

Edited by Botas

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

... but the majority of people hated it ...

I don't remember being asked to weigh in on this. ¬¬

But I'm with Botas. Fortunately, TrackIR solves the issue with F1 viewing. And using a joystick for the binoculars instead of the mouse (since binos, like all optics, are unaffected by TrackIR) considerably dampens the response there.

Something that has helped me in SB (and a lot of other games, frankly) is to disable the mouse acceleration in Windows.  It will take a little while to get used to not having it, but it an overall much better experience when playing anything that requires smooth and precise mouse inputs.

I do have TrackIR so I'll give that a try - some gentle axis curves might just do the trick.

Trying to maintain a forward view from the Leo-1's turret is a nightmare at the moment, although I think it's more a bug in the Leo - the range of movement is tiny compared to the other vision blocks.

Edited by Botas

It's both the Mk-1s - the 'capture-zone' in the front vision block is especially small. It's very easy to switch to an adjacent block and almost impossible to land on the front one while sweeping the mouse around.

The younger Leopards don't seem to use these capture zones for the vision blocks - you can just sweep your head around.

Edited by Botas

19 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

This is now bug #6448.

Sorry! (I wouldn't class it a bug so much as an annoyance). Here's a pic - generally you can safely mouse left and right while viewing through the blocks and the view will only switch when the mouse gets near the edges - but with the forward facing block the 'safe' zone is very narrow. I've added a pair of lines to show the max limits.

tJPzKyE.png

Can you specify the vehicle model name (I don't think there's a "Leopard 1 Mk. I", much less several model variants), and also the crew position (commander's place, ... others?)

It's the commander's seat in the Leopard 1A5 & Leopard 1A5-DK1

Edited by Botas

I've been enjoying the Leo-1's PANO sight- it's movement is soooo smooth! 

Surely this would be perfect for the TC's 'eye' and 'binocular' views - I can't imagine who would complain about this kind of upgrade, especially if it was optional.