NATO Reticle explained?

Japo32

Hello. It is surprising to me that all searchs I do looking for tanks NATO Reticles, I didn't see anyone explaining how it works.

No documentation also in the manuals, at least I didn't find it.

Is there anyone that could share with me the longitudes of each bar in the NATO reticle? and how to use it? I have a rough idea, but I need more precise information.

Also for example how to use the commander Pizarro day reticle. There is no information about them.. even in internet.. and at the end I have to make fire-error-correct method when not having the laser operative.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Japo32 said:

Hello. It is surprising to me that all searchs I do looking for tanks NATO Reticles, I didn't see anyone explaining how it works.

Is there anyone that could share with me the longitudes of each bar in the NATO reticle? and how to use it? I have a rough idea, but I need more precise information.

Also for example how to use the commander Pizarro day reticle. There is no information about them.. even in internet.. and at the end I have to make fire-error-correct method when not having the laser operative.

Thanks!

Rough Idea is enough for this game.

Detailed information would breach my NDA(and that of most people who know this stuff really)....so stop asking.

1 hour ago, Japo32 said:

Thanks!

FM 3-20.21 might have the answer for you. You can find this online

Not asking too much. Just the correct mills that are each line just to compare with vehicles. Find that FM 3-20.21 is hard to download but this page (but I don't want to subscribe)

https://es.scribd.com/document/289273591/Heavy-Brigade-Combat-Team-HBCT-Gunnery-FM-3-20-21

Ok.. found the information in page 229 and 716 of that document . Will see if I can download it somehow without registering... Thanks!

Edited by Japo32

Yes.. that is what I did... but always is better to have the full documment. I don't want to register, because usually they annoy me with spam, etc...

What I saw with the NATO reticle is that the one here shown in this documment is different than the Leopard one. Here all the lines are 2.5 mills, but in Leopard are 2.5 and 5 mills also.. and even 1 mill ones. So I am a bit cunfused.

Edited by Japo32

Here you have one imagefor the Leopard(all leos use the same in all sights, except the strv for the FERO i think):

https://wiki.steelbeasts.org/_detail/fahrzeuge:panzer:strichbildtzf.jpg?id=fahrzeuge%3Apanzer%3Aleopard_2e

For the Pizarro you have the reticle size in the Pizarro manual ,in ...eSim Games\SB Pro PE\docs.

And, yes the reticle size is different for m1 and leos,also the central circle is 1 mil in m1 and 0,5 in leos.¿Where is the confusion?

Edited by Colebrook

Gracias Colebrook.

Confusion everywhere. If there is no documentation that explain these reticles, then I cannot figure what are the longitude of the little bars. 

Also I have seen a problem or bug with Pizarro. If I am not doing wrong, you go to page 33 of the pizarro english or spanish document included. First I don't know the longitudes of all bars there. Capturing them in photoshop, they are totally different each ones (the one in the simulator. Not the one in the document), so I cannot make a measure of targets to know distance.... 

BUT the worst is that when firing an objetive that is 1800 meters measured with the laser, I have to put 1500 in the line of the APDS and more than 1900 in the line of TP/MP. Or I am doing something wrong, or the Pizarro day commander reticle is wrong in the sim.

Edited by Japo32

So you say the bars in the manual and the bars in SB are different?.

I do not have SB here and I cant do any test,but are you using the default Pizarro ammo?.

Those reticles are calibrated for a given ammunition, if you change the default ammo those reticles are going to give you an error,depending on the difference in velocities and weights of the projectiles.

1 hour ago, Japo32 said:

Or I am doing something wrong, or the Pizarro day commander reticle is wrong in the sim.

I just checked the commander's reticle on the Pizarro and something is definitely wrong with it. With the AP ammo you have to aim at the 2000 meter mark on the sight to hit a target at 2500 meters. With the HE ammo it's incorrect in the the opposite direction, requiring you to use more elevation than the sight would suggest.

Edited by Rotareneg

• Members
10 hours ago, Colebrook said:

Those reticles are calibrated for a given ammunition, if you change the default ammo those reticles are going to give you an error,depending on the difference in velocities and weights of the projectiles.

In real life.

In Steel Beasts, the reticules are always based on the ammo properties that are loaded in the given scenario; notable exception is the Leopardo 2E.

(This irrespective of the errors that have been reported later in this thread.)

• Members
9 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

I just checked the commander's reticle on the Pizarro and something is definitely wrong with it. With the AP ammo you have to aim at the 2000 meter mark on the sight to hit a target at 2500 meters. With the HE ammo it's incorrect in the the opposite direction, requiring you to use more elevation than the sight would suggest.

Sounds like a bug. Fortunately we're working on the Pizarro at the moment anyway; I suppose we can investigate this while we're at it.

• Moderators

Can someone please take a screenshot of the reticle that is "calibrated wrong"? It would help to eliminate any possible confusion.

At this point I am assuming we are referring to the Commander's Day Sight (F3) and that both the APDS and HE scale is wrong? (I guess no screen shot is necessary if my assumption is correct.)

• Members
6 hours ago, Colebrook said:

Then the reticules change in size according to the ammo selected?.Or how it works?

The superelevation markers, if any, will conform to the ammo loadout. If you would compare a screenshot of, say, the auxiliary sight of a Leopard 2A5 loaded with DM23 and DM12 with that of a Leo 2A5 loaded with DM53 and the Swedish HE round you would notice the differences. 

• 1 month later...

Guys, my memory may be at fault here, but I thought the Pizarro had an auto-tracking feature in its FCS. I've been through the (excellent) manual and posts on the forum and not found any mention of how to engage it, if it indeed exists. I'm really enjoying the Pizarro - then again, other than Warrior, there hasn't been a vehicle in SB that I didn't enjoy :)