ULAN systems

Japo32

Hello. 

Studying the Pirarro, I saw that is similar as the ULAN. checkinout, I saw this panel:

As the creator of the video, can someone explain what are those systems for? In the wiki there are some of them explained, but not that little door swich. I suppose some are for setting altitude and temperature (does them affect in the phisics of SteelBeasts if I change values?) but others I don't know what are they for.

Can someone explain or point to a manual that explain them? 

Thanks!

• Members

This button seems to cycle through a number of ballistic parameters including, as you noted, altitude above sea level, air and ammo temperature, cant angle, and more. Not entirely sure if changes in air temperature have an effect on the ballistics; in real life they do of course, but usually the effect is very small, so we may have decided to simplify a bit in this area.

If in doubt, try it out!

Change a value with the +/- switch at the top and see if it makes a difference, then add a section to the Wiki. Become a Steel Beasts scientist!

Well.. I tried and I don't see any change.. but for sure the ones that should know if affects or not are the people that made the simulator. Not me.

I would appreciate more information about systems that the different vehicles has. Even if they are placeholders. Usually all are good in the SBWiki, but in some cases like this, there is no way to know where to look for, because even in the forums there is nothing about this talked... or at least I couldn't find it. 

SteelBeasts is a Simulator, and not a game, and I love to get deep in systems and understand them. And  usually in all kind of simulators I play I usually don't use them. I just love to understand how things work, and then explain to others in my videos how they work.

Edited by Japo32

• Members
Just now, Japo32 said:

Well.. I tried and I don't see any change.. but for sure the ones that should know if affects or noti are the people that made the simulator. Not me.

That's good and well, but we implemented the Ulan almost 10 years ago, so you have the choice to access my memory, and to conduct controlled experiments. I will not divert the programmers from their actual job to educate me about features that may be in there but which are pretty much guaranteed to have no observable effect even if they were. Which suggests that, most likely, these are dummy functions.

I totally appreciate that you want to learn all the details, that's really cool. But I have to consider time management on our end as well.

• Members

These entries are all either fake or read only (at least in the non-classroom version).

Clicking +/- does nothing, JUST does nothing

If you cycle until you get to the GRAUSWAHL item (which means 'device selection'), you can press the EING ('ENTER') button to enter into a little submenu, which lets you turn certain subsystems on/off (you can cycle through these subsystems by clicking the toggle switch again) by pressing EING again. I think the only subsystem that you can turn off is the laser. If you cycle all values until you are at the GRAUSWAHL item again, you can leave the menu by pressing the EING button again

That's it, AFAIK

4 hours ago, Japo32 said:

Yes.. I see a shame not simulate this systems.

Well, there has to be a line...A fully modelled vehicle will be unplayable without a manual. Many of which are not public, and a software with those function will likely not be public too.

Well... I come from flight sims where we have deep simulation of f18, F16 and other aircrafts. Of course secret systems won't be simulated, but the rest yes and we always have the developers to provide information, and the community.

But anyway...

• Members

Yeah, so which flight simulation is out there that is both study sim and survey sim?

Which of the flight simulators has the capability to show a lot of life on the ground other than mission targets and selected scripted SAM sights?

Which flight simulator combines all this?

I mean, just open the Mission Editor, rightclick, select New Unit... and then go systematically through all the categories. Every unit listed in black text has its own unique fire control system and behavior. How, do you think can a team of Volcano, six programmers, and four artists possibly implement full switchology for all of this, and maintain it for two decades, and keep the price of the software fixed at $125.- - we're not charging for vehicles, sceneries, maps, airports, decals, or whatever other means of revenue generation flight sim developers may be accustomed to. Plus, flight sims still have an audience that is at least ten times bigger than that for Steel Beasts.

I'm not saying that what we're doing is inherently better than what you get from flight sims. But all factors considered, as a simulation enthusiast consumer you won't get a better deal than with Steel Beasts. You get study sim fidelity with selected combat vehicles, pretty high up there fidelity with many others, still basic and still somewhat accurate replication of the most basic ones like BTR, BRDM, T-55, ... At the same time we're a commercial enterprise, not a charity or a crazy billionaire's extravaganza. If eSim Games can't operate at a profit, it'll be curtains for the company and the product.

About 5% of the annual turnover is coming from the Personal Edition which generates about 98% of the technical support cases, and consumes about 20% of our development capacity. Again, in relation to what you pay you get far more in return. My impression is that you do not attempt to understand what others have been trying to hint here, and that you're cherrypicking your comparisons. If you want to compare apples with apples, I dare you to present me a single case where you get

• comparable or better fidelity with more than four major combat systems
  • in addition, about 60 other simulated systems in "pretty high fidelity"
  • everything at $125.- or less
  • direct contact with the developers
  • supported by the developer for 20 years

There are flight sims that are superior in selected aspects, but I know no case that combines everything into one package like we do. In the light of this, I sleep very well at the thought that we haven't spent the effort to work on obscure ballistic computer settings for which the customer - in this case the Austrian Army - felt no desire to pay for their development because they saw no discernible training value in it.

On 8/29/2018 at 11:59 PM, Ssnake said:

This button seems to cycle through a number of ballistic parameters including, as you noted, altitude above sea level, air and ammo temperature, cant angle, and more. Not entirely sure if changes in air temperature have an effect on the ballistics; in real life they do of course, but usually the effect is very small, so we may have decided to simplify a bit in this area.

If in doubt, try it out!

Change a value with the +/- switch at the top and see if it makes a difference, then add a section to the Wiki. Become a Steel Beasts scientist!

i shoot long range rifle and temp makes a difference in how you powder burns but its your chamber temp...not sure how that translates to a cannon ..you round has to soak though to get it hot if your shooting fast or open bolt machine guns wont be affected...air pressure plays the biggest role in your ballistics

• Members

It's an entirely different thing to shoot a rifle "manually" or to shoot from a computerized, stabilized platform. It's also a question of how big your target is. When hunting, you want to hit comparatively small places for the ideal kill (rather than just injuring the animal whch might then run away and die a few days later). With (comparatively slow) rifle bullets atmospheric conditions play a much bigger role. Ammo temperature definitely has an effect on muzzle velocity, and with it, on everything else (unless you have specially designed temperature-insensitive propellant).

The point is, if you have eliminated all other sources of error (=precise range measurement, stabilized platform, accurate input of ammo temperature, correct input of crosswind), at typical IFV engagement ranges (under 2,000m) on typical IFV targets (other IFVs, trucks), air density plays second fiddle to all other parameters. The time of flight is short, the target size is measured in square meters/several mil diameter; even in the most extreme cases of error (like altitude is set to sea level but fired at 1,500m above sea level) I don't think that the deviation will exceed half a mil or so (I'd need to look it up in the firing tables).