SB Pro PE Maps/Scenarios question.

Damian90

I have a question, is it possible to move scenarios from SB Gold to SB Pro PE?

SB Gold had this quiet fun scenario called "A Village Called Netreba" if I recall correctly, I wonder if this scenario could be ported?

Eventually was there any recreation of it for SB Pro PE? Could not find it.

• Members

Will the scenario load?  Yes.

Will it play the same?  No.

• SB1/SB Gold doesn't know bridges. Instead, either "land bridges" were edited into the terrain, or people relied on the rule that water was only an obstacle if a water tile was surrounded by other water tiles. So a "two pixel" wide river - 25m across - was entirely possible to drive through. To the extent that an old scenario relies on these mechanisms to play as intended, the underlying map may need to be changed, and/or routes across water bodies must be altered.
  • Before and after version 2.6, infantry dismounting changed. Before 2.6 it was automatic (but increasingly unreliable with rules, exceptions, exceptions to the exceptions, and exceptions to those). With 2.6 and later, dismounting needed to be scripted. Therefore, to the extent that a legacy scenario expects infantry to dismount in some situations, routes now need to be edited accordingly.
  • Ammo performance and armor protection levels of vehicles have changed over time. We have never made an attempt to maintain a certain "balance"; in fact, I don't care about balance in mission design at all. Other people however do, so if the scenario requires a certain balance in order to be enjoyable, maybe the ammo selection needs to be reconsidered. Needless to say, this is increasingly difficult the older a scenario gets as in some versions, I think, we didn't even display the ammo performance at a certain standard range, let along the armor protection of selected vehicles.

If you can live with these points (in most cases, I guess most people can), nothing will stop you from playing it again.

Here is a quick and dirty update of that scenario for SB Pro PE: A Village Called Netreba_update.7z

SB 4.023 wouldn't even load the scenario at first, logging these errors:

[19:03:41,975] ERROR: Unknown type (0x24). Cannot create unit!
[19:03:41,975] ERROR: Invalid formation size 'Size: 0; '!

I narrowed it down to the Jaguar 2 platoon. I had to temporarily change them to another unit in SB before I could load it in Pro PE and change them back into Jaguars.

I didn't feel like messing around with the bridges or water so I switched the scenario to a winter theme and made the water "ice." There's no score as the scoring from SB scenarios does not automatically convert to the ProPE scoring which works a bit differently. There's also various ammo and artillery differences.

Edited by Rotareneg