T-34 vs. Tiger review on Tanksim.com

daskal

offcourse when you compare sbp with t-34 vs tiger sbp would win because ìt has lots of more options and is much more in depth and has a lot more playable units . But graficly its much better t-34 vs tiger has at least in the grafics a little bit more to offer. such as suspension , the tanks tracks leave marks in the ground the external damage model looks better also the driver station is much more detailed and you really need to shift the gear and stuff. But hey can you really compare them?

With the caveat that I have not played T34 vs Tiger, and only from reading some forums, the relevant comparison that you seem to be able to make is that SB:Pro PE works well, and T34 vs Tiger doesn't.

But I await Daskal's more informed view with bated breath.

offcourse sbpro is as a package much better and functions much better as well so it seems all i mean is that they have outdone sbpro on some things when you look at the grafics. t-34 vs tiger has some goodies in grafics that i would love to see in steel beasts

So far my impressions:

The game is about only 1 tank, and it bugs me that it seems to be impossible to tell the driver to drive into a certain location via map or by clicking on terrain (I may be wrong, but there seems to be no way). This causes a lot of energy going into getting the tank go where you want it to by clicking WASD keys. With a single click the speed changes or tank turns few degrees, but there is no indication if you are actually going full speed or is it possible to still yell "schneller!"...

Gunning is fun (with Tiger at least, haven't tried T-34 yet) and you need to know how to use the sight to measure range, lead etc. and so on... A bit like using Leo 2A4's GAS (and with no stabilizer).

Armour/penetration model seems to be off. 88mm penetration vs. T-34 is not impressive, but the reason is explained by one gamer on the game's forum: the devs used penetration data against 0 degree plate for the 85mm and against 30 degree plate for the 88mm. And as it seems to work with "hit point" calculation rather than more precise calculations under the hood, this causes the 88 to be quite underpowered and T-34s survive multiple hits on front from 200m very often.

The game is beautiful, and destructible terrain is great! For me it runs with no problems, but it seems many are not so fortunate.

Other than that I am still experimenting. Seems to me the game is not nearly as versatile as SB, but still fun. Not many missions there, but the game comes with an editor (which should receive a manual some time...) so maybe extra content is available when fans start making scenarios and mods. Oh, and it seems to be very modder friendly, as all data (scripts) can be edited - so far I downloaded only a mod to correct the gun penetration values...

Zip

• 2 weeks later...

After playing some more, now with modded penetration values for the cannons in game (88 actually kills T-34s with good % on first few hits) I am somewhat liking it. If you look past the akcward controls and the fact that the missions are all scripted (the few of them that there are), it's actually quite athmospheric.

Here is a short story of my adventures with my little tank, with few pictures added. In this case it was a German counter-attack with 2 Tigers and 5 Pz IVs against Soviet armoured forces in a town I find hard to spell... Weather is good, but a bit foggy, reducing visibility to some 1200 meters, taking away the 88's superiority on 2km ranges against the T-34s.

After driving along a highway, at least on soviet standards - a path running in dense woods, the terrain finally opened to our right, and I saw the accompanying 2 toy panzers taking a right turn and firing at something in the horizon. Turning to the right I see three T-34s, 1 sitting on a road leading our way and 2 others turning tail and withdrawing into woods. I command my Tiger to halt and on stop fire one round at the immobile T-34, estimating a range of 800m using the sight. A hit in the hull! I see my wingman also engaging the target, but missing slightly. Moving the Tiger up some meters and hearing "Geladen!" I stop again and fire - straight hit in the turret! The 76mm gun is twisted and the turret stops moving. I take it as a kill and continue forwards. From the left I see the last 3 Pz IVs joining the formation and taking positions on my left flank, some 200m away, passing a small patch of woods from the left, while we move from the right.

Next up a small hill... climbing the hill with binoculars in hand I see 2 bright flashes and one of the fleeing T-34s is destroyed and burning, with the turret removed.

Pictures from left to right:

1) Opening ahead - contact!

2) First kill

3) Fleeing T-34/85 killed by Pz IVs flanking from left

Tvt_1_approach.jpg.55334ca87e0d84911b728

56e83c6fdf145_Tvt_2_firstkill.jpg.745a90

56e83c6fe5e6f_Tvt_3_secondkill.jpg.cd616

Tvt_1_approach.jpg.55334ca87e0d84911b728

56e83c6fdf145_Tvt_2_firstkill.jpg.745a90

56e83c6fe5e6f_Tvt_3_secondkill.jpg.cd616

Part II

Rumbling forwards, climbing the next hill up ahead I order driver to slow down so I can take a look on the other side. With my binoculars I see the objective in front of me - and inside the fog there are some 4-5 enemy tanks, apparently unaware of my location. I jump to the gunner's seat and peek over the hill and take hull-down position. SB -like quick position changing and covering again will not work with the Tiger, as it is so damn slow to get into speed. So I decided to slug it out from this position and hope the other tanks join the battle before all guns point at me.

Pictures:

1) The T-34/85 close up... nice damage modeling!

2) Pz IVs on my left flank try to keep up with me

3) Hull-Down, engaging nearest T-34... first shot missed (short) but next 2 nail him there

56e83c6fe9da0_Tvt_4_secondkillclose.jpg.

56e83c6feda04_tvt_5_leftflank.jpg.823b08

56e83c6ff280c_tvt_6_hulldown.jpg.33c5aca

56e83c6fe9da0_Tvt_4_secondkillclose.jpg.

56e83c6feda04_tvt_5_leftflank.jpg.823b08

56e83c6ff280c_tvt_6_hulldown.jpg.33c5aca

Part III

The battle gets hot when the enemies realize my presence and start turning their turrets and AT-Guns at me. I manage to take one more T-34 out of action before shots start flying my direction. One Pz IV taking position to my right receives multiple hits and is destroyed. I receive also hits, but the few 76mm rounds do not penetrate my front turret. One by one the enemy tanks receive hits from left and from my direction, and they are taken out.

Pictures:

1) First kill from the hill

2) Range 1000m, fire!

3) Enemies are turned into wrecks in few minutes time

tvt_7_kill.jpg.8f050b265e8f10f84322b6ec4

56e83c7005fc6_tvt_8_advancetotown.jpg.8d

56e83c7023ead_tvt_9_enemiesdown.jpg.27f5

tvt_7_kill.jpg.8f050b265e8f10f84322b6ec4

56e83c7005fc6_tvt_8_advancetotown.jpg.8d

56e83c7023ead_tvt_9_enemiesdown.jpg.27f5

Part IV

A more violent hit is taken, and my driver yells there's damage to my right track. Damn! I order him to reverse to safety, while I try to scan the horizon for the enemy firing at me. As I spot the enemy, a lone SU-85 racing downhill from my right, the driver manages to kill the engine and the tank jerks to a stop - of course the side hull pointing at the tank hunter. I also notice the tank is not on a stable ground, and I need to calculate range, correction due to my crappy positioning and also lead to the enemy closing in for a kill. These are the moments you miss the automatics from modern tanks ;). But with a superhuman ability to calculate stuff inside my head, and maybe 95% of it being pure luck, I manage to score a first shot hit at the SU-85. The vehicle is covered in smoke and dust for a while, and when the dust lifts I don't see smoke coming from it, so I take 3 more shots before ceasing fire. Now it burns nicely... The driver manages to restart the engine and we rumble forward a bit to see the whole town. Two more T-34s try to stop our advance, but are taken down.

Last T-34 is hiding behind a shack, with only track fronts and barrel visible. I decided to try if the engine allows SB -like firing through houses. I fired, the area is covered in dust and pieces of the building fly around. Impressive! When the dust settles the T-34 is fully visible and tries to turn around and flee, but I nail him there, popping the turret. Mission accomplished! Looking at my Tiger from outside view I see marks of multiple hits on my hull and turret - but luckily they were all (but 1, the one that damaged my track) 76mm shots that didn't penetrate from the ranges the firefight was taking place: 800-1200m.

Pictures:

1) SU-85 with multiple hits, and nicely modelled damage

2) another killed T-34 with nice details visible from the hits

3) my trusty Tiger - with multiple hits visible... only lost 1 Pz IV in this engagement

tvt_10_su-85.jpg.61e421bea7d7c3710691c68

56e83c702fa65_tvt_12_t-34killed.jpg.4196

56e83c7036544_tvt_13_kommandantZipuli.jp

tvt_10_su-85.jpg.61e421bea7d7c3710691c68

56e83c702fa65_tvt_12_t-34killed.jpg.4196

56e83c7036544_tvt_13_kommandantZipuli.jp

Getting into close combat with T-34s is not advised, as the 88 traverses soooo slow and the sight has such zoom, that the fast moving ruskies can evade you easily! Other than that the Tiger has not much to fear from the comrades, especially as they seem quite keen on firing from the move. Unmodded (with old penetration values) the T-34s were hard bunch to kill, which resulted in more Tiger casualties, just because the buggers refused to die after 5 hits of 88 from 400m to turret ring...