Development News Discussion

12Alfa

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought but as already said earlier by Ssnake M1A1 skins probably wont work on the new model, wondering if other models are affected, mabye we will all have to reskin after the new update arrives, can anyone clarify this? Thanks. PS. would love to see a shot of any new models etc but guess i should have more patience, roll on december ish :)

• Members

I think it'll be a complete download again. As soon as we change the model database the download size increases to about 200 or 300 MBytes already, at which point incremental updates to minimize download sizes no longer make sense.

Ablemaster, unless explicitly mentioned, there will be no changes to the vehicle models. In the long run we will overhaul at least all major vehicles and maybe even a number of others, but that's something that we treat as a "constant micro improvement" parallel to the work on new stuff, which usually has priority. However, if Dejawolf has the time to rework old models, he will.

Koen, I expect at least some of your suggestions to be added within the next 12 months. :)

The only drawback would be the loss in functionality, not being able to save mission plans. If you can make do without that, I see no reason to keep 2.328 installed.

But the next 'gold' version of the sim will have that function, just as 2.328 has now, yes?

Well, I do hope the ability to save plan is fixed in time, for my part. At least for those .sce that don't have any pre-made routes for controlled units, I find that feature crucial (especially when complex positioning and planning is required).

Of course, I guess I always have the option of opening up the mission in the designer and putting the plans there, but it is much more appropriate in the planning phase.

Still, I am rather looking foward to the update. :)

Itkovian

• Moderators

FYI for all the sound modders, in between now and (hopefully sooner than later) the point in which volume sliders are added to the game --an approach was taken to limit distortion and harmful overload of sound systems caused by the mixing of many simultaneous sounds in the game. This approach was to restrict the maximum peak level of any sound effect by -6dB allowing more head room. This means that users will have to actually turn their volume up past 50% to hear it loudly, but many subtleties that were lost before will now be heard. If you do not lower your sound mods accordingly then distortion will remain and your sounds will be extremely loud when compared to the rest of the content.

Basically, to make a long story short, you should reduce the volume of your modded sounds by 50% to put the peak at -6dB and match the maximum peak level that the rest of the sounds will be. If you need your sound to be louder then use dynamics compression within that range, or a hard limiter at -6dB. This is just a friendly heads up. :)

Btw Volcano - any chance you guys can put in a decent movement / idle sound for the Leopard tank that sounds more like a Leopard instead of the current one? (for me it sounds like a coffee-machine, its horrible... or.... why not release a sound mod for it- since its more easier to implement than other features) You surely have something much better in stash.

Is it my imagination or do those pictures of the M1 look real flippin’ good!? In a word “Schwing”. I also noticed that one of the shots seemed to be from the loaders view point. I can see where this is all headed. 18 hour marathon sessions of SB just because of all of the updates and rippin’ new models. Man is my wife ever gonna’ be pissed @ me.

• Moderators
Btw Volcano - any chance you guys can put in a decent movement / idle sound for the Leopard tank that sounds more like a Leopard instead of the current one? (for me it sounds like a coffee-machine, its horrible... or.... why not release a sound mod for it- since its more easier to implement than other features) You surely have something much better in stash.

No sorry, if you have any impression that the sounds used in SB are anything other than the actual thing then you are mistaken. Those Leopard sounds were recorded by Ssnake himself. That is not to say that they are perfect samples though :o, just dispelling any doubt of whether the sounds are the "real thing".

Ok... so you added a new M1 model. That's nice. Looks great.

....so why is it that anytime anyone asks for movable suspension or treadmarks or visible crew or whatnot, you rightly blast them for wanting you to waste time on 'eye candy', yet here you're wasting dev time on making a new model of a tank already in the game that already looks fine? If you were going to spend all that effort making a new model, why not take the time to make an M1A2 model instead? You have 15 million variants of the Leopard, already 3 variants of the CV90, but you can't add the modern variants of the M2 Bradley or M1 Abrams, which both have CONSIDERABLE improvement? As in CITV, FBCB2 or BFT, and serious fire control improvements for both, ERA on the Brads, and significant armor upgrades on the M1A2 and A2 SEP. I don't really count your M3 as a variant of your M2; the only difference is the quantity of dismounts and TOWs (which IS the only difference, but the point is the M2A3 would be a REAL variant)

Sometimes it seems to me that you guys are determined to keep the US hardware in SB at stone age technology. I really get the impression that your dev team is more than a bit Euro-centric.