Frame rate discussion

Bluewings

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There also was an ATi Radeon 7500 LE (and it sucked). Are you sure (ahem, sorry, but I have to ask it) that it's an NVidia card?

It is the name that I get from my system hardware list. I bought my computer, a HP slimline with dual core, two months ago, so perhaps it is a rather new graphic card. Honestly, I really don't know but until now it is not working badly.

1 Giga.

But then my question is still on. Is this good card or ...?

Too put it simply, cards which use system RAM suck. Increased latencies and decreased performance. Given that it uses HyperMemory, it's also a fairly low end card. The worst compnents and processors that come from the foundries go into the low end cards.

I am about to buy a new desktop, after loosing my patience with my obsolete laptop. Which CPU/RAM/Video card combo would pretty much be able to ensure smooth sailing frame rates? I am looking at both AMD and Intel CPU's, about a gig of ram, and a 512 card or maybe dual 256's. Any 512 should be real good right?

I am about to buy a new desktop, after loosing my patience with my obsolete laptop. Which CPU/RAM/Video card combo would pretty much be able to ensure smooth sailing frame rates? I am looking at both AMD and Intel CPU's, about a gig of ram, and a 512 card or maybe dual 256's. Any 512 should be real good right?

I think you'd need to be a little more specific about your requirements. Which map/ scenario are you talking about, and want frame-rate do you consider acceptable?

For discussions of graphic/system performance, it would be nice to come up with a standard map or scenario that all users use for reference. (I personally like the "Fulda Gap v7 BundesPE" because it seems like a "real" battle in scope and I think it demonstrates the capabilities of the game engine.) The down side is that it is variable as far as scene complexity and it takes some time before things start to happen.

• Members

Alternatively, could you post the designations/names of the graphics chipsets of the notebooks that you took into closer consideration. We can then give a feedback on them.

Generally I think that last years' top of the line mobile graphics chipsets are "good enough" for 1024x768 resolutions, eventually even higher, and they should also be the ones that are actually available. I'm pretty sure that the 7800Go chipset is the one with the highest performance, but whether you can actually find a notebook that has it and which your local dealer can actually sell to you is a different matter. A 6800Go chipset is probably powerful enough.

Heck, I'm working with an ATi Radeon 9700 Mobile chipset in my notebook. I don't intend to break records with the frame rates that it offers, and I'm mostly showing off Steel Beasts from the external view or the gunnery range. But it does the job.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you limited to AGP, but still looking for a graphics card upgrade, the 7600GT is an outstanding value for under $200. The 90nm chip technology lets this board give the 7800GS AGP, and X1950 Pro AGP some real competition for much less money.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/xfx_geforce_7600_gt_agp_review/page16.asp

I just upgraded from an overclocked 6800, and all of my benchmarks doubled.

• 2 months later...

Thank you. That was quick. If the GTS is doing well the GTX will as well, I suppose. You are going to love this. In the fight sims(FS9 and FSX) I get 70 and 40fps respectively, with all the sliders cranked. Falcon 4 would'nt work at all until they relesed the patch. But I get great rates on that as well. Love to hear about the performance you get with 8800 GTX.

Thank you. That was quick. If the GTS is doing well the GTX will as well, I suppose. You are going to love this. In the fight sims(FS9 and FSX) I get 70 and 40fps respectively, with all the sliders cranked. Falcon 4 would'nt work at all until they relesed the patch. But I get great rates on that as well. Love to hear about the performance you get with 8800 GTX.

I am pleased to hear that, you have made my day hehe! I am a falcon 4.0 nutcase! and plus the FS series, especially now I have a copy of the Cargo Pilot addon :)

LOMAC will be another good one for me to try on this card too!

I will without a doubt give you a rundown of the performance gain in SB with the card, your quite welcome!

Cheers

I've been running the GTX for a while, I tried to list some comparision statistics back here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showpost.php?p=127093&postcount=155

and here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showpost.php?p=127532&postcount=168

hopefully, you might find it useful.

We really need a standard scenario/route to measure performance like the timedemos of old.

My computer is a pentium 4, 3.4GHz and my graphics card is a Radion X800 XT. I would like to be able to move all of those graphics sliders a lot more to the right. I see where Nvidia has a new 8600GTS card for around $200. Can any of you guys tell me if the new card would make a significant difference in the performance of SB on my computer. Thanks!

• Members

What are your current slider settings, and what's the typical frame rate (or which are the low points that you want to improve). Which screen resolution are you using (or what's the approximate window size), and what are your anti aliasing settings?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone !

I need an opinion about the Sapphire X1950XT 512MB card...

Anyone every had or used this card can give me an opinion about it ?

I am leaning toward buying one of this cards.

Any opinion is welcome !

Thanks a lot !

Swiso

Hi Ssnake !

I wanted to know more or less what kind of FPS i can expect with AA and AF maxed out...with a resolution of 1600x1200 ?

I have a P4 3,6 1GB RAM and a 22" CRT monitor...

And if anybody ever heard something bad about this card ? ( problems , and so on..)

Tanks !

ehm..Thanks !!

• Members

It is difficult to give you a definite answer since the frame rate will also depend on the kind of scenery, or the intensity of action (CPU dependent line of sight calculations).

On average I'd expect the X1950XT to be in the high 40s to high 50s and above 20 in difficult scenes like looking into a deep forest with high magnification.

On page 1 we have a color code for the various chipsets. While the X1950XT isn't listed there you can expect it to perform better than the next best ATi chipset (which happens to be the X1800 at the time when we compiled that list).

• 2 months later...