Welcome to Steelbeasts.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Ssnake

SB Pro PE 2.4x Upgrade - Announcements & Discussion

597 posts in this topic

Well, after some consideration we've decided to postpone the newsletter yet.

But I can tell you this:

  1. We try as hard as we can to get SB Pro PE 2.4x out of the door before Christmas.
    As usual, it's going to be a close shave; if the beta testers find a critical issue we will delay the production until we got it right. We should know about two weeks in advance what the shipping date will be. Therefore we will start accepting preorders no earlier than by the time that we bring the Gold Master CD to the factory, two weeks in advance of the shipping date. Only then will we know with high confidence what the release date will be.
  2. For preorders, we will offer a discount of $5.- and $10.-, depending on whether you will order it together with the new printed manual or not.
    The effective price for early birds will therefore be $25.- (software only) and $30.- (with printed manual).
  3. Once that shipping starts that discount will no longer apply; the price will then be $30.- and $40.- for the upgrade.
    As you can see, the effective prices will be even less than what we previously announced.
  4. In the meantime you can contact me for ordering the "austere version" for $107.50 where we will only ship the CodeMeter stick with a single license (additional licenses can still be had at $25.-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit confused.

Is this going to be a downloadable update application like before (and this time you need to pay for it) or does everybody need to purchase a new copy of SB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So are you taking pre-orders now, or when you release the newsletter? :)

I was thinking that as well but I think from what I just reread that they will be taking the preorders when the official newsletter goes out which will be two weeks from the release date to "Gold Status." At least that is my guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a bit confused about the content of the update - will it include the Pizarro (meaning that the Pizarro got accepted by the Spanish MOD)?

In any case, 30$ is a very fair price, I expected it to be more expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I better hope that the pound does not lose any more value against the dollar. A few months ago this woud have been very good value.

I assume if you already have the stick then it is just a software upgrade?

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume if you already have the stick then it is just a software upgrade?

Essentially yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Essentially yes.

Is it an upgrade per software, per stick, or per licence ?

I have many stick, with many licences. Do I need to purchase one upgrade per licence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am confused a bit, and I am also wondering about the patching sequence. I have the very first release from two and a half years ago. assuming I would reinstall it to the level of the now coming upgrade, would I still need to go through all the patches before (quite a load!), or is the new upgrade including all? If the first, what would it cost me not to get an additonal second licence parrallel to the first, but a disc replacement including the coming upgrade, if - I assume - I would send in my first original CD, 30+ months old?

Because I am close to routine-reinstalling my system (every end of the year),and this time I will not just use an image anymore, since there have been too many changes in the past three years, and I lost track of those many patching and codemeter updates a bit, although I had it all fixed in our SBP resources sticky over at tanksim.com.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The upgrade will be a completely new installation. No patch sequences to go through. It will be necessary to uninstall previous PE version though since there were changes to some resource files.

Froggy: Lucky bastard, you. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy to pay for the upgrade, but wasn't this announced as free more than a year ago?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to it. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, it was always announced that we would charge for it, even in 2006. After an absurd debate last year about stability and content of the upgrade we released the 2.370 beta version as a free preview for the upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool!

So I just need to buy it, then download it, then stick my codemeter in and it should work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It won't be available for download. We'll be sending out CDs. But yeah, you uninstall old versions, install the new, done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It won't be available for download. We'll be sending out CDs. But yeah, you uninstall old versions, install the new, done.

This sounds great. Looking forward to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, it'll be between $132.50 (preorder phase, no printed manual) and $147.50. We may however make special offers now and then. I think that it would probably most fair to have regular depreciations of the price as a new upgrade is approaching. The downside of such a tactic would be rather frequent price changes as they would go down and down and down then up again (start new cycle). I'm not sure if that's easy to understand for someone who has no experience with SB Pro PE yet, might scare away people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scenarios by Volcano and printed manual for $30? Sold!

Question: What is this "austere" version mentioned earlier in this thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No printed manual, no CD media, just the license, codemeter stick and the download of Beta 2.370, for those who want to use SB ProPe *now*, while there is no stock of discs or manuals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C'mon Guys

for the majority of us on this forum even if the game kicked back with a $200 price tag we would probably buy it, why because "It is worth it". Im sure E-sim will do the right thing.

So far they have provided prompt and honest answers I just hope that upgrade could maybe arrive by Christmas. As an indicator, have the beta team recieved their copies in order for them to test it yet??

Irish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have started testing a few days ago, yes. It's still not a release candidate, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now