SB Pro PE 2.4x Upgrade - Announcements & Discussion

Ssnake

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to Nils, the Leopard FCS data is hard-coded on the system and can only deal with a small number of round types - the changes require high level maintenance to update them, if this is possible without replacement/new components at all. (I suspect from the description that these are analogue computers?)

The Spanish Leopard 2E do not currently use a HEAT round - they use two APFSDS rounds, and HE-T. In addition PELE (a non-explosive anti-material round) can share the DM33 APFSDS ballistic data as they are a modification to that round.

While it is conceivable that deployed Spanish tanks may have access to ammunition supplied by other armour forces, they cannot fire them using unique ballistic data. In the case of HEAT/HE-T, the HEAT round has similar ballistic performance to a HE-T round fired at a range 50% of the actual range to the target. If the FCS uses a manually input range of 1100m, then the HEAT round should strike a target which is at 2200m with a high probability of success.

The compatibility of 120mm ammunition between the M256, the L44 Rheinmetall Gun and the L55 Rheinmetall Gun is not an issue in this case (although some 'hot' loadings are not acceptable in very early weapons).

The M1 uses software to store it's ballistic data, and can hold a very large number of parameter sets. These can then be selected by the crew as they are required and the ammunition becomes available. The adding of new data is as far as I know a non-crew task, but it is much less involved than the Leopard case and can probably be performed by the unit trains. (This sounds like the parameters are stored in the digital portion of the FCS).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

They're on The List. Originally it was planned to get started this year, but the budget overruns due to ongoing operations in Afghanistans resulted in a cut-back for us as well, so we will start with a minimal program and expand that gradually. I expect to see this in PE at the end of 2010.

• Members

This should be combined with a much higher degree of translucency. You can see that only at night or against a rather shadowy background, really. But we should change the whole muzzle flash thing at some point, that simple bitmap is a bit dated. Looking at the noclear mushrooms in Fallout 3... well, they get even me salivating, and I'm not really the biggest proponent of superior graphics.

I think e-sim should be marketing these "upgrades" as expansion packs, that way it doesn't seem so absurd to spend $25 on a patch. No company charges for patches, but creating and charging for expansions is very common. But, then the question becomes what all is included in these upgrades? Is it enough to warrant the cost and the title of an expansion pack?

• Members
Ah ok. So how often do these upgrades come out? I wouldn't want to spend all that money then be left5 in the dark for mp because I'm out of date shortly after purchase...

No more often than once a year, with once every 18 months being more likely. In short, whenever we feel that the majority of our customers will be pleased with the price to value ratio.

An "expansion pack" doesan't change the code so that resource file formats etc. remain unchanged so that there is full compatibility with "un-expanded" versions. But in the case of SB Pro it is by far more likely to see a lot of changes in the source code and in resource files to improve fidelity and scope of the simulation rather than a bunch of "new levels" and a "brand new story".

We could still call it an expansion pack, but that would be stupid marketing double-talk. We're engineers. We name things with descriptive terms so that people know what things are about, having full confidence in the ability of our audience to recognize the full potential of a new version that is being sold, given that the release notes are made public before the release and that we hopefully have developed a reputation of "overdelivering" our promises (with the exception of release date predictions) rather than failing to make good of previous claims.

Form a marketing and sales perspective that may be a stupid strategy, just like having the price for worldwide shipping and handling already included in the price of SB Pro PE rather than adding that in the process of the web shop. But then again, if we wanted to maximize sales figures at all costs we wouldn't charge $125.- in the first place, right?

This should be combined with a much higher degree of translucency. You can see that only at night or against a rather shadowy background, really. But we should change the whole muzzle flash thing at some point, that simple bitmap is a bit dated.

Yep, something like this would be neat ;)

TB-TurretGun2A.jpg

• Members

Hollywood tends to overdo pyrotechnics (it's a screen capture from The Beast, right?). Movie screenshots shouldn't be used as the best possible reference, especially since a still image can deceive about the extremely short-lived nature of barrel flames.

They exist, but you really notice them only against a dark background.

Neat, yes. Accurate, no.

Unless you’ve poured JP8 down the barrel before firing this burst. :)

Well here is the real deal - the muzzle flash (this and the previous picture I posted) is ofcourse only very short lived, just a split second long - it takes a good eye to see it actually - so if you have only average or less sight you wont notice much while in motion:

Coax-Muzzle.jpg

• Members

Camera sensors don't necessarily represent the way how the human eye can see and recognize things. What a sim should try to replicate is the impression that a human would have in real life.

We are agreed however that what we have right now is a rather crude approximation of reality. ;)

No more often than once a year, with once every 18 months being more likely. In short, whenever we feel that the majority of our customers will be pleased with the price to value ratio.

An "expansion pack" doesan't change the code so that resource file formats etc. remain unchanged so that there is full compatibility with "un-expanded" versions. But in the case of SB Pro it is by far more likely to see a lot of changes in the source code and in resource files to improve fidelity and scope of the simulation rather than a bunch of "new levels" and a "brand new story".

We could still call it an expansion pack, but that would be stupid marketing double-talk. We're engineers. We name things with descriptive terms so that people know what things are about, having full confidence in the ability of our audience to recognize the full potential of a new version that is being sold, given that the release notes are made public before the release and that we hopefully have developed a reputation of "overdelivering" our promises (with the exception of release date predictions) rather than failing to make good of previous claims.

Form a marketing and sales perspective that may be a stupid strategy, just like having the price for worldwide shipping and handling already included in the price of SB Pro PE rather than adding that in the process of the web shop. But then again, if we wanted to maximize sales figures at all costs we wouldn't charge $125.- in the first place, right?

Now that I understand how the updates work that all makes perfect sense and I agree with your approach.

Also, I'm going to purchase SB within the next couple days and would like to clarify that with the additional license purchase (for $150 total) two users can have full access to the game on different computers? thanks

• Moderators
Well it's only a split of a second, but it's there:

Coax-Muzzle.jpg

Well that is odd. One of the main purposes of that tube extending from the mantlet is to disperse the coax flame to the rear of it (there are opening that vent it rearward, and if you look at a tank that has fired much coax you will see scorched marks around the base of it). There is definitely smoke that comes from the real coax though, but I can't say that I have ever seen a flame come out of there before... especially not like that. It might be one of those split second things the eye just doesn't catch.