Noob giving up soon...

Flak

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement you've all posted in this thread.

I've messed around with SB before when I first bought it awhile back, but now I'm trying to seriously learn SB so that I can join MP games, and enjoy the cooperative and teamwork elements that single-player mode just can't give you.

All of the helpful feedback here is very motivating when faced with the daunting task of learning a highly-detailed sim.

Flak,

Again, I will encourage you to hop in an MP game and just watch. Jump from tank to tank in the F8 observer position. Ask questions and enjoy the experience.

Pretend like you are an embedded CNN reporter or something. No stress. No expectations. Just get a feel for it and get to know the guys (and occasional gals).

~ mm

Hope you haven't given up yet. I been gone due to some other online games but I'm going to come back.

Don't worry about how good you are right now, use the gunnery range and get those gunery skills up. The range is something I need alot of pratice in. :-D

Edited by Banshee-66

Lots of ppl here stress the importance of gunnery to play SB.

But there's another way to enjoy SB as well.

There is a minority (?), to which I belong, that:

* has a lousy gunnery rating (& I don't care)

* never guns

* more plays as TC

* mostly plays from the map

& and I'm doing so since SB1, so for a long time, which means I'm enjoying it.

This game/sim has so much possibilities, that you can play it any way you want (gunner, TC, map, in MP command the uncrewable T-72's etc ... ) !

Have fun - Koen

You're doing him a disservice saying that, Mower.

That IS used as an RL gunnery trainer after all :D

But one thing's for sure - if you're just playing form the gunner's PoV you're missing out on the rest of the sim.

I started in the gunner's PoV, and it does seem the natural place to start from, at least for a sim. At this point I rarely take control of the gun, usually riding in as the TC, spending a lot of time looking out with binocs, map, etc.

When I want someone evicted, I point him out to my gunner and having trained him well, he usually gets rid of any squatters quite efficiently ;)

Lots of ppl here stress the importance of gunnery to play SB.

But there's another way to enjoy SB as well.

There is a minority (?), to which I belong, that:

* has a lousy gunnery rating (& I don't care)

* never guns

* more plays as TC

* mostly plays from the map

& and I'm doing so since SB1, so for a long time, which means I'm enjoying it.

This game/sim has so much possibilities, that you can play it any way you want (gunner, TC, map, in MP command the uncrewable T-72's etc ... ) !

Have fun - Koen

You can count me in with respect to this category as well. Much more fun IMHO playing as TC.

Question regarding the "Time To Kill" in the gunnery range.

When I played the gunnery range the first few times

I had a pretty bad TTK...about 40secs...but a scoring of 90 points.

I left it at this for some time...trying to learn the TC position,

because that's my favourite point of view. :biggrin:

When I tried the gunnery range again I had a much bette TTK...about 20secs I think....still bad but better than my first try....with a Scoring of 91 points.

When I now look at my statistics, I have 91 points but still the old TTK....shouldn't it be also the best I reached at the range?

• Members

The time to kill is a rather nonsensical statistic at this point; e.g. my TTK is more than 9700 seconds (!) since it averages over all scenarios that you ever played (so, since I have a lot of test scenarios with several dozen blind targets at various ranges and aspect angles, my average TTK goes through the roof).

What's relevant is the "gunnery rating" which takes into account both your hit likelihood and your reaction time, with a slight emphasis on accuracy.

Wow, I've never gotten past the gun range in using PE in the year or two that I've owned it but I have to agree this is motivating me to jump back in!

I'm currently simming with the rotary version accidently mentioned earlier (BS) and find it interesting and very cool that SB also came up on their boards for it's excellence.

Someday I'll make a good MP target!

• Members

Everybody is a good target ... some more often than others, but show me the player who never gets waxed. Fortunately SB isn't about frag stats but whether your team achieved its goals (even if your team consists of computer buddies - in single player mode). It's a collective effort, and therefore if you know the basic handling and functions within SB you will always be welcome.

It's kinda nonsensical from communities to expect perfection from day one. Fortunately this has never been the case here, as far as I can tell.

Everybody is a good target ... some more often than others, but show me the player who never gets waxed. Fortunately SB isn't about frag stats but whether your team achieved its goals (even if your team consists of computer buddies - in single player mode). It's a collective effort, and therefore if you know the basic handling and functions within SB you will always be welcome.

It's kinda nonsensical from communities to expect perfection from day one. Fortunately this has never been the case here, as far as I can tell.

Remember there is no I in Team.